7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Replace catalytic converter or fix corrosion?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ekhriz is an unknown quantity at this point
Replace catalytic converter or fix corrosion?

So I have a catalytic converter that gave me code p0420 so I thought it was time for replacement. I went ahead and bought an aftermarket not expensive ($125) as the dealer one. Then I noticed when I went to replace it that the end links are very corroded and missing the nuts for the bolts therefore creating a gap which gave the code. See pictures. The question is should I try to paper sand it and replace the nuts and bolts or just swap it with the new one event though the original might be still working. I was planning on buying the resonator and Muffler new as well to install the whole system new. Any suggestions? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161125_162534862.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	89281   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161125_162544252.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	3.78 MB
ID:	89282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-11-25-17-29-03.png
Views:	44
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	89283  
Old 11-25-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Replace catalytic converter or fix corrosion?

Looks like the stuff I see in the rust belt...

Exhaust leaks can cause a false cat code, that's true. First, I'd seal up those rotten open flanges and see if the cat code stays away.
New nuts and bolts (NOTE: the original bolts are welded in place), maybe a tube of muffler cement from the parts store?

If the cat code stays away, great. (I'm not holding my breath on this)
If the code returns, replace it.

A cheapo cat may not make the computer happy for very long, if at all... There's a reason a good quality cat is expensive.