7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

2002 Honda Civic Cranks but does not start

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mkjohnson831 is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 Honda Civic Cranks but does not start

I have been fighting this issue for a long time. I will try to explain what is going on. My son has a 2002 Honda Civic EX. When trying to start the car, the motor cranks great with a lot of turnover power but the car will not start. It is like the car is out of gas. I have changed the fuel pump, purge valve, Vent valve, crank sensor, cam sensor, battery and connections, alternator, Spark plugs, fuel cap, Fuel pump relay, and took the car to the dealer where they did a valve job for $300. I have hooked a pressure gauge to the gas line going into the fuel rail. The pressure is 45 psi when cranking. The car will start sometimes like there is nothing wrong. When the car starts it runs and drives fine. Most of the time it cranks but will not start. I have noticed that the problem seems to be worse with the cold weather. I was thinking about replacing the computer. The way I understand it, is that if I buy a used computer I have to take it to the dealer to get them to program it. I have run out of idea's on what to do next. When the car is running I get over 14 vdc on the battery. Everybody I have spoken with tells me that I have changed everything they would have changed.
Old 10-26-2016
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: 2002 Honda Civic Cranks but does not start

Try this

(I have a 2002 as well and sometimes she'll crank all day and no start unless I do this)

Before starting prime the lines with the key in position II for 5 seconds, then turn it off, then prime for 5 again.

Mine will start this way every time... I have no Idea what it is. I also have a new fuel pump, and a second ecu since I swapped to manual.
Old 10-27-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mkjohnson831
I have been fighting this issue for a long time. I will try to explain what is going on. My son has a 2002 Honda Civic EX. When trying to start the car, the motor cranks great with a lot of turnover power but the car will not start. It is like the car is out of gas. I have changed the fuel pump, purge valve, Vent valve, crank sensor, cam sensor, battery and connections, alternator, Spark plugs, fuel cap, Fuel pump relay, and took the car to the dealer where they did a valve job for $300. I have hooked a pressure gauge to the gas line going into the fuel rail. The pressure is 45 psi when cranking. The car will start sometimes like there is nothing wrong. When the car starts it runs and drives fine. Most of the time it cranks but will not start. I have noticed that the problem seems to be worse with the cold weather. I was thinking about replacing the computer. The way I understand it, is that if I buy a used computer I have to take it to the dealer to get them to program it. I have run out of idea's on what to do next. When the car is running I get over 14 vdc on the battery. Everybody I have spoken with tells me that I have changed everything they would have changed.
compression test?

spark test?

remove spark plugs after cranking a few times, are they wet?

crank it over with plugs removed, do you get fuel spraying out the holes?
Old 10-27-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mikey1
compression test?

spark test?

remove spark plugs after cranking a few times, are they wet?

crank it over with plugs removed, do you get fuel spraying out the holes?
Yes, I forgot to give that information. I have removed a plug after the no start issue and the plug was dry.
Old 10-28-2016
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, I forgot to give that information. I have removed a plug after the no start issue and the plug was dry.
test voltage at the injectors while cranking?
Old 10-28-2016
Registered!!

test voltage at the injectors while cranking?
I will check this. And let you know the results. Thanks
Old 11-06-2016
Registered!!

I will check this. And let you know the results. Thanks
Ok, this is what I have found so far. Across the injectors I have 11.2 ohms. I hooked up a led across the injector wires and the led pulses slow when trying to start and pulses fast when the car finally starts.

I checked the voltage to ground to one of the wires going to the injectors and got 12 vdc as the engine was trying to start. It took several attempts to get the car to finally start. The 12 vdc remained even as the car started.

I shut off the car again and after several attempts to start the car, I removed a spark plug and it was dry. I even tried to start the car without the plug and when the car started I did not notice a lot of fuel coming out of the plug hole. What should my next step be? Thanks
Old 11-07-2016
Registered!!

these two comments of yours clearly contradict each other.....

When trying to start the car, the motor cranks great with a lot of turnover power but the car will not start. It is like the car is out of gas.
I hooked up a led across the injector wires and the led pulses slow when trying to start and pulses fast when the car finally starts.
first the car would not start, and now its running? which is it?
Old 11-07-2016
Registered!!

these two comments of yours clearly contradict each other.....

first the car would not start, and now its running? which is it?
I can try to start the car and sometimes it will start and sometimes it only cranks and does not start. That is why it is so hard for me to troubleshoot because the car starts fine sometimes and the other times it will not start only cranks like there is no fuel.
The following users liked this post:
Gears8910 (08-31-2020)
Old 11-07-2016
Registered!!

I can try to start the car and sometimes it will start and sometimes it only cranks and does not start. That is why it is so hard for me to troubleshoot because the car starts fine sometimes and the other times it will not start only cranks like there is no fuel.
Like I said in my opening statement. The car starts fine sometimes like nothing is wrong.
Old 11-08-2016
Registered!!

okay,

so when the car DOES start, how does it run?

can you drive around for an hour?

does it run and idle smooth?

and codes or CEL?
Old 11-08-2016
Registered!!

okay,

so when the car DOES start, how does it run?

can you drive around for an hour?

does it run and idle smooth?

and codes or CEL?
When the car does start it runs good. You can drive the car several hours without any issues. Sometimes while driving, the car seems to have a small miss every now and then. The idle is smooth. I have not gotten any CEL or codes.
Old 11-08-2016
Registered!!

When the car does start it runs good. You can drive the car several hours without any issues. Sometimes while driving, the car seems to have a small miss every now and then. The idle is smooth. I have not gotten any CEL or codes.

I also was wondering if the issue could be the immobilizer. I tried both keys and the car still is not happy. I noticed the green indicator light for the immobilizer comes on when I turn the key to the on position and then the key light shuts off after 2 seconds. From what I have read, this is normal for the immobilizer. Thanks
Old 11-09-2016
Registered!!

I also was wondering if the issue could be the immobilizer. I tried both keys and the car still is not happy. I noticed the green indicator light for the immobilizer comes on when I turn the key to the on position and then the key light shuts off after 2 seconds. From what I have read, this is normal for the immobilizer. Thanks
normally if the imobilizer is the issue the green light will be on or flashing quickly while you are cranking the engine,

what you are describing sounds normal,
Old 11-09-2016
Registered!!

normally if the imobilizer is the issue the green light will be on or flashing quickly while you are cranking the engine,

what you are describing sounds normal,
I have changed everything I can think of except the computer.
Old 11-11-2016
Registered!!

I did some more testing today. I had a LED across the injector wires to check for pulse. I had a spark plug attached to the plug wires to check for spark. I had a pressure gauge on the fuel line going into the fuel rail. When I tried to start the car, I had spark, the LED was pulsing, and I had 43 psi on the pressure gauge. While I was cranking the car, I shot the engine with some starter fluid and the car started and quit. This made me think the engine is not getting gas. I removed the fuel rail and cleaned and manually triggered the injectors and they all sprayed good. Reinstalled rail and the car just cranks. Some time it will start but mostly cranks. I found a used ECM for $80 and the dealership wants $130 to program. Not sure if this needs to me my next step. Please advise. Thanks Mike.