7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Black smoke and car shut off

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lxcivic02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Black smoke and car shut off

I thought I had an exhaust leak and planned on working on it this upcoming week but driving to work today, I noticed car decreasing speed and started towards emergency lane when a puff of black smoke poured out the back and car shut off. Smoke was still coming out once stopped. Engine will turn over. Didn't try starting it for fear of further damage. Any ideas where to start on repairs? Car has cold air intake and header to straight pipe if it helps. No catalytic converter. Allowed car to cool. Will crank but running really rough.

Last edited by Lxcivic02; 10-21-2016 at 12:10 PM. Reason: More info
Old 10-22-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Black smoke and car shut off

Black smoke from the exhaust would indicate excessive or unburned fuel, overly rich condition. You sure it was black?

What could cause excessive fuel to enter the engine? Ruptured pressure regulator (6th gen and earlier) or excessive fuel pressure/stuck regulator (7th gen and up)?
Sensor (ECT, IAT, MAP, TPS) gone screwy?

Did you just fill the gas tank...maybe 2 miles prior to this failure?
Overfilled and flooded the canister? Diesel in the tank?
Old 10-22-2016
Registered!!

I can't say it was from exhaust. There was a trail of it behind the car when I looked in the rear view as I was stopping the car. Then when I opened the hood, black smoke came out. Some smoke was coming through interior vents. A/C wasn't running at time. Car had half tank. Not filled that day.
Old 10-22-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lxcivic02
Then when I opened the hood, black smoke came out. Some smoke was coming through interior vents.
Important details are important!

Did it smell like burning rubber?
See if there is a bunch of black powdery residue around any of the belts and pulleys.
Was there a growling or rattling from the engine before it quit running?
Old 10-22-2016
Registered!!

There had been a rattle kinda sound but since it only happened during acceleration or between shifts, I thought it was an exhaust leak. As I start vac today, figured I could fix the leak today. I'll go check the powder residue now.
Old 10-22-2016
Registered!!

No powder residue. But just cranked it to see what it'd do bc it's quieter here than side of interstate and it sounded like, we'll the best I can describe it, is something caught in a fan. But it came from inside the motor and still running rough. Only had it cranked long enough to hear that and shut it off.
Old 10-22-2016

Plastic timing cover has melted spots in it?
Remove valve cover and top timing belt cover, see if the tensioner spring broke off...and timing belt has jumped time.
THAT could explain a sudden loss of power then total loss a short time later.

A belt getting smoked due to a locked up accessory pulley was my first thought as to what would make black smoke in the engine compartment.
Could be much worse if it is something similar in the timing belt area.

Use a stethoscope to pinpoint where the noises come from?
Use a socket to turn the crankshaft counterclockwise by hand, see if it is in a bind or is free? Remove accessory belts to see if that changes anything?

Had an Odyssey recently that stalled the engine at a stop light and the starter would not crank at all because the AC compressor pulley bearing seized up, driver ignored the loud noises for a little TOO long. Belt was ruined but still strong enough to keep the starter from working.
Old 10-22-2016
Registered!!

I haven't had time to pull timing cover but saw a video on YouTube where the water pump was bad on an accord and it sounded the same as mine. My car wasn't overheating and there was no smoke today but the rattling sound was nearly identical to video.
Old 10-23-2016

That engine is known for breaking the timing tensioner spring at higher mileage.... I used to think over 200k should be expected, but as of a few weeks ago I saw one that broke at about 130k.
(You did not mention your cars mileage)

Or... if the tensioner was replaced with a low quality piece it may not last til the next oil change.
Old 10-24-2016
Registered!!

It's sitting at 234k. At right bf 200k the water pump had a leak and they replaced water pump, timing belt and fixed a leak on the crank case.
Old 10-26-2016

Have you or anyone else confirmed the timing belt is still correctly installed and in time, tensioner did not come apart?
Old 11-06-2016
Registered!!

Sorry for the delay. Pulled timing cover. Looks pristine in there. Spring is still attached. No sign of broken pulley. No oil or fluids. Under car is a different story. Lots of oil on oil pan and surrounding parts, and therefore car is low on oil. Going to get an oil pan gasket and replace, then do oil change, replace plugs, and go from there. I don't see the cause of the oil leak though. It seems to be from around entire oil pan. I'll also be checking out bottom of motor while down there for any signs of damage. Any ideas on the sudden oil leak all around the pan?
Old 11-09-2016

Sudden leak? How about a gradual one that got larger.....
If it is not one of the front shaft seals,

Oil pump O ring hardened and brittle from age, it sealed the pressure passage between the pump and the block? That can soak the bottom of the timing cover and the drivers end of the oil pan...
Old 11-09-2016
Registered!!

There was oil on the outside of the bottom half of timing cover, a little on the drive shaft pulley, but covered entire oil pan. I thought it was due to wind under car blowing oil around as it they weren't as evident as oil pan
Old 11-10-2016

Clean the hell out of it, then drive it a little and you may see where the leak begins?
Old 11-17-2016
Registered!!

I put oil in it, as it had all leaked out. Tried to crank it. Seemed almost flooded. It turned over then started. Was running rough. I shut it off. Look under car and there's a puddle of oil. It seems to be coming from above oil pan towards front of motor as in towards bumper not belts.
Old 11-17-2016
Registered!!

OneJzSupra is an unknown quantity at this point

A few things to consider / look at.

Inspect the oil pan / consider dropping it and replacing the sealant and gasket (If I recall correctly the civic oil pan is gasketed).

Inspect the area behind the crank pulley and see if you can locate oil in that area.

Look at your head gasket area around your block and see if you can see any leak points.

Inspect your oil filter and see if the leak is from that.

Inspect the oil pump / cooler lines.

Look into the cylinders and see if you can see any oil.

Have someone crank the car while you are looking to see if you can located the leak.

Locate / find leak and fix.

Buy a **** load of degreaser and clean the **** out of your car.

I put oil in it, as it had all leaked out. Tried to crank it. Seemed almost flooded. It turned over then started. Was running rough. I shut it off. Look under car and there's a puddle of oil. It seems to be coming from above oil pan towards front of motor as in towards bumper not belts.
Old 11-17-2016
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,129 Likes on 943 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

did you put a hole in the block?
Old 11-17-2016

All of the oil leaks out without having to start the engine?
Old 11-17-2016
Registered!!

No. When it finally did crank, and ran for a few secs, when I shut it off aND looked underneath, that's when the oil appeared. Wasn't there before cranking.