7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is my car totaled?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sea Bass is an unknown quantity at this point
Is my car totaled?

'02 Civic EX checking in here. 230k miles. Bone stock.

Story is my neighbor backed into me and crumpled my car. She took full responsibility and her insurance will pay. Problem is the collision place says they won't even look at it until I get all this crap worked out with her insurance company and blah blah blah. It's gonna take more than a month to work things out.

But the suspense is killing me. Do you think my car is totaled? I never realized it before, but I guess there's only 2 main body panels on each side of the car--the front fender and the part that's damaged on my car (which includes the back fender, the arc over the door, the well of the door, etc). Seems like this would be a ton of labor to replace, not to mention a lot of $ for the part itself.

Also, if this part get replaced, it will remove the part of the door that includes the VIN# and tire pressure info. Is that bad for some reason? Resale? Registering in another state?

Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	89137

Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender-2.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	89138

Last edited by Sea Bass; 09-29-2016 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-29-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is my car totaled?

At least it's driveable.
Be glad you don't have to scramble for another set of wheels while they are working out the details of this ride.

Make sure your insurance company has been notified, they might let you know how this could play out, maybe even handle some of the details for you.
Old 09-29-2016
Registered!!

Sea Bass is an unknown quantity at this point

It's definitely drivable. And I'm glad it's not worse than it is. Only the body is damaged. I'm kinda wondering right now if they'll fix my car or just cut me a check. I want my car fixed as I plan on keeping it for a while...although a straight up check for $2500-$4000 would be nice too. I got bills to pay ASAP!
Old 09-30-2016
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,124 Likes on 939 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

I'd be very surprised if it was totalled, I would think they'll just pound it out from the inside, a couple skim coats of filler, and then repaint
Old 09-30-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Colin42
I'd be very surprised if it was totalled, I would think they'll just pound it out from the inside, a couple skim coats of filler, and then repaint
What's the value of that (or any) repair, vs. the value of an old Civic with almost a quarter-million miles on it?
Will that fit their criteria of a repairable car (what maybe maximum 60% of the cars value?)?
Old 09-30-2016
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,124 Likes on 939 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

This is true, It's all up to the insurance companay
Old 09-30-2016
GOT SAND?

Dooner is an unknown quantity at this point

Boy, if they total that out, I'd consider buying it back and continue using it. My '01 got totaled, but it wasn't worth buying it back. Had too much front end damage from some guy who figured his left turn was more important then my right of way. I made out good on that one. Your car looks to be in good condition other then the damage you have.
Old 09-30-2016
Registered!!

Pier7866 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sea Bass

Story is my neighbor backed into me and crumpled my car. She took full responsibility and her insurance will pay. Problem is the collision place says they won't even look at it until I get all this crap worked out with her insurance company and blah blah blah. It's gonna take more than a month to work things out.

But the suspense is killing me. Do you think my car is totaled? I never realized it before, but I guess there's only 2 main body panels on each side of the car--the front fender and the part that's damaged on my car (which includes the back fender, the arc over the door, the well of the door, etc). Seems like this would be a ton of labor to replace, not to mention a lot of $ for the part itself.

Also, if this part get replaced, it will remove the part of the door that includes the VIN# and tire pressure info. Is that bad for some reason? Resale? Registering in another state?

Attachment 89137

Attachment 89138

Well the damage that I see is fixable by any body shop they do not have to change the whole quarter panel that will be happening in a very serious damage, but that being said body shop always want to make money and they will suggest to do so and even if they do it will not affect your front door inside. Now the VIN # is mainly on front of your dash toward driver side corner but Honda put VIN# sticker on every part just as a precaution which will not affect even if one of those stickers are removed for the fact if that part is changed. For registration or renewals they look for the VIN # on the dash that has a small metal plate and numbers are pressed into it. Hope this help.
Old 10-18-2016
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

that looks like at least 2 grand in body work which means insurance will most likely cal it a loss because they also factor in rental car cost while its being fixed. as far as buying it back be careful, in my state its nearly impossible to get a salvage title car back on the road. i would look further into it before you buy it back.
Old 10-18-2016
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

that looks like at least 2 grand in body work which means insurance will most likely cal it a loss because they also factor in rental car cost while its being fixed. as far as buying it back be careful, in my state its nearly impossible to get a salvage title car back on the road because insurance wants nothing to do with them . i would look further into it before you buy it back.
Old 10-19-2016
Registered!!

SammySC has a spectacular aura aboutSammySC has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Sea Bass

Attachment 89137

Attachment 89138

This is my 02 EX with 120,500 more or less on it and the damage caused by a teenage driver. My insurance repaired it no problem, game me $1,800 for the repair minus my $500 deductible. If your car is in good shape otherwise and the repairs are less than 2K you should be OK and not get totaled. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	accident 1.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	2.45 MB
ID:	89173   Click image for larger version

Name:	accident 3.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	89174   Click image for larger version

Name:	accident 4.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	2.14 MB