7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Temp gauge fluctuation...not typical?

Old 08-25-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
autobon7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Temp gauge fluctuation...not typical?

1st post....1st Honda. 2002 coupe EX with 164xxx miles. Bought from a small lot so history unknown. The day I bought it almost made it home (not a great way to start out a new relationship) and temp gauge started rising. It was really hot out...heat index at 107 so AC was full blast. I panicked and threw on the heat asap and started to pull over as it was very close to red. Heat coming out hot and temp gauge starts to go down. Only being 1.5 miles from I pressed on. By the time I pulled in the garage it was down to normal so I let it idle and turned heat off and AC on to see if the temp would rise again. It idled in hot garage for 30 mins with ac full blast and never got past about 1/3 on temp gauge. Drove for it for 230 miles then acted up on the way to work this morning. Head gasket?
Old 08-25-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Temp gauge fluctuation...not typical?

Originally Posted by autobon7
Head gasket?
that is quite possible, how are the coolant levels in the rad and overflow?

did you not test drive this car before you bought it?

i would bring it back ASAP, any reputable lot would give you at least a one week warranty
Old 08-25-2016
Registered!!

I did test drive before I bought....about 8-10 miles. It didn't start to overheat until around 25 miles. Both times the heat was blowing hot so I didn't get the no heat that I have read about on many threads. The lot picked up and is installing a thermostat.....I'm doubting that diagnosis
Old 08-25-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mikey1
that is quite possible, how are the coolant levels in the rad and overflow?

did you not test drive this car before you bought it?

i would bring it back ASAP, any reputable lot would give you at least a one week warranty
The overflow was not full....but didn't take much to top off. Same on the rad.
Old 08-25-2016
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

The lot picked up and is installing a thermostat.....I'm doubting that diagnosis

so am i, at least they are trying,

as long as its free, let them keep throwing new parts at it until they figure it out
Old 08-26-2016
Registered!!

so am i, at least they are trying,

as long as its free, let them keep throwing new parts at it until they figure it out
Picked it up after work today. Got there just a bit before they closed and started home. Got all of 5-6 miles and temp gauge starts rising again. Pulled into a QT gas station and called them but they were gone ( knew this as they were locking up as I left). Called a mech buddy and spoke with him for a bit. Didn't get out of the car or raise the hood just shut it down. After about 12 mins I decided to start up and temp gauge slowly came down. Now I'm puzzled because it was super hot/humid out and imho there is no way the temp should have come down that fast. I drove the rest of the way home in stop and go traffic about 20 miles with no issue. Didn't run the ac.......could this still be a head gasket or may
be a faulty sensor? Strange.....

Forgot to mention that by the time I shut down at the QT the gauge was buried in the red
Old 08-27-2016
Registered!!

when it starts getting hot look at the level in the overflow bottle, where is it at?.....do not open the rad when its hot,

after the engine has cooled where is the coolant level in rad and overflow?

fill the rad up to the top, overflow should be between min and max lines, drive and continue to monitor the levels,

whatever you do, dont let it overheat,

or just take it back again and let them deal with it
Old 08-28-2016
Registered!!

tmarron0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Did check the difference in temperature between the upper and lower radiator hose? Should be about 15 degrees difference. If the lower radiator hose 30 degrees or so cooler(or more) the radiator is clogged up and you need a new one. The bottom and top radiator hose should only have about a 15 degree difference, give or take
Old 08-29-2016
Registered!!

when it starts getting hot look at the level in the overflow bottle, where is it at?.....do not open the rad when its hot,

after the engine has cooled where is the coolant level in rad and overflow?

fill the rad up to the top, overflow should be between min and max lines, drive and continue to monitor the levels,

whatever you do, dont let it overheat,

or just take it back again and let them deal with it
The rad was still full after it cooled.....the overflow is a bitch for these old eyes to see. Would maybe be easier if it was red coolant. Which leads me to the next question.....green or red coolant?
Old 08-29-2016
Registered!!

tmarron0 is an unknown quantity at this point

The car uses the green coolant. The red coolant is not for our cars
Old 08-29-2016
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

The colour of the coolant is just dye and has nothing to do with actual cooling.

The car most likely has a blown headgasket... make the place you bought it from fix it right, replace the car or get your money back. Given the situation getting your money back would probably be most ideal. They don't seem to have a clue what's wrong and probably won't end up fixing it properly or correctly.
Old 08-29-2016
Registered!!

Which leads me to the next question.....green or red coolant?

if you are using honda OEM coolant (which i would highly recommend) then it should be blue