7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Please help me decide?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
petept is an unknown quantity at this point
Please help me decide?

Hi everyone. I am the proud owner of a 2001 Civic coupe 5speed lx. Ok original owner told me he has used quaker state green bottle 5w20 since new,5,000 mile intervals. Now has 160,000 miles,runs and drives great,no oil leaks or burning. Car sees below freezing in winter and 90 plus in summer. Car is driven 20 miles daily to work. More city than freeway driving. Car is in very nice shape and want to ask you all what oil do you use and what would be a good choice for me. Synthetic,blended,conventional. So confusing,just looking for some advice. Thank you all very much for your time. Hve a wonderfull day!
Old 08-11-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Please help me decide?

Keep using what's been used all along. It's just fine.
Old 08-11-2016
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

I would just use what the previous owner used since you know. You say the engine is in great shape so continue on with the same stuff.

I used to use Castrol Syntec in my Civic but since I got my Fit I use Honda oil and filter.
Old 08-12-2016
Registered!!

5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough

castrol syntec and royal purple in the civic at 7500 miles. never any issues or sludging at 145k miles
Old 08-12-2016
Registered!!

petept is an unknown quantity at this point

Many people tell me to use synthetic,but is that a bad choice since its never used synthetic oil in its 160,000 miles? Thats my real concern. Thanks for the help guys! Really appreciate u all!
Old 08-12-2016
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

No, stick with conventional oil at this point.
Old 08-12-2016
Registered!!

Pier7866 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by petept
Many people tell me to use synthetic,but is that a bad choice since its never used synthetic oil in its 160,000 miles? Thats my real concern. Thanks for the help guys! Really appreciate u all!

If conventional oil has been used previously never switch to synthetic just use the one previous owner has used. Hope this help.
Old 08-15-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pier7866
If conventional oil has been used previously never switch to synthetic just use the one previous owner has used. Hope this help.
Wrong. What do you base this on and for what reason?

If you take your car someplace to have your oil changed I would stick with conventional since most places charge far more for synthetic oil. If you change your own oil it is easy to find synthetic for not much more than conventional oil. I have used synthetic in the Civic for 70,000 miles (started at 90,000 miles) with no problems. Honda engines are not hard on oil so conventional oil works fine. Since my son took the Civic to college I wanted be certain there would be no issues with extended oil change intervals. I also liked the idea that if he didn't bother to check the oil level as often as he should the synthetic oil would hold up much better if he let it get a quart or more low.
If you do use conventional oil, use 5w-20. The 20 weight oils tend to have better base stocks.
Old 08-15-2016
Registered!!

Pier7866 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pjb3
Wrong. What do you base this on and for what reason?

If you take your car someplace to have your oil changed I would stick with conventional since most places charge far more for synthetic oil. If you change your own oil it is easy to find synthetic for not much more than conventional oil. I have used synthetic in the Civic for 70,000 miles (started at 90,000 miles) with no problems. Honda engines are not hard on oil so conventional oil works fine. Since my son took the Civic to college I wanted be certain there would be no issues with extended oil change intervals. I also liked the idea that if he didn't bother to check the oil level as often as he should the synthetic oil would hold up much better if he let it get a quart or more low.
If you do use conventional oil, use 5w-20. The 20 weight oils tend to have better base stocks.

Ok than do as you please if you have that knowledge it is pointless to ask anyway...
Old 08-15-2016
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pier7866
This is a myth.

http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/educat...5uem9pbC8wMQ==
Old 08-19-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ezone
Keep using what's been used all along. It's just fine.
this ^^^

frequency is more important then quality,

and your chances of an oil related failure in these engines is very slim to none
Old 08-19-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikey1
this ^^^

frequency is more important then quality,

and your chances of an oil related failure in these engines is very slim to none
Only if a user is diligent about checking and refilling the oil regularly, and changing it regularly.

Honda's got a great track record, but they aren't perfect.
Let the engine oil get too low, it's all over.