7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2005 Civic Dome Light Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fdavid02 is an unknown quantity at this point
2005 Civic Dome Light Problem

hello everyone,
i have a 2005 civic dx 4 door and the dome light does not work. i have checked the bulb and the fuse under the hood and both are good. the light does not work in the "door" or "on" position and does not work with any or all doors open.
i dont know if it means anything or not but my gas gauge started acting crazy. sometimes it points to the radio and the next time the car cranks up it might point to the windshield, its never the same.

i would be thankful for any help y'all might have.
thanks,
frank
Old 07-31-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2005 Civic Dome Light Problem

Do the front map lights work? Does the trunk light work? If so, then the fuse is good.

Remove dome light. Use voltmeter to check if it has power, and check for ground.
The light grounds through one of the screws, so if one is missing that may be why it doesn't work.
Remove the entire light assembly, see if the wire harness is connected. Test for power and ground in the connector.
Old 07-31-2016
Registered!!

thanks for the reply,
my car does not have map lights and yes the trunk light works. i have not checked the power and the wire harness yet. i will check those tomorrow afternoon when i get home from work.
i will let you know what i find.

thanks for the help
Old 07-31-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If trunk light works then the fuse for the dome light is good.

Check for 12v in the bulb holders of the dome light. Same for ground. That way you know which part (electrical path) needs chased.

The ON switch position uses a ground thru one bolt or screw that holds it to the roof IIRC. It should be able to work at any time.

The DOOR switch position receives its ground from the MICU (muiltiplex unit) in the fusebox. There are many other possible issues if no ground is found in that wire.

Hope someone just left it unplugged or something equally easy.
Old 07-31-2016
Registered!!

the light worked great until about a month ago then it started to work off and on for a few days and then stopped working altogether.