7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

d17a1 loss of oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AlexFromCali is an unknown quantity at this point
d17a1 loss of oil

I used to burn oil due to mixed up valve stem seals and a straight pipe that touched the exhaust pan.

That's all fine now, I filled up to full oil a week ago, now i'm in between minimum and maximum fill.

Help?

I dropped to literally no oil one time.
Old 07-18-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: d17a1 loss of oil

Needs a ring job.
Old 07-19-2016
Registered!!

****. Is there a diy? Do i need any special tools? Do I need to take the block out/deal with rods?

I'm tryna sell it for 5500 on craigslist before it goes bad.
Old 07-19-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by AlexFromCali
Do I need to take the block out
uuuummmm....yes

its pretty difficult and/or impossible to replace rings without removing the block
Old 07-19-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

****. Is there a diy? Do i need any special tools? Do I need to take the block out/deal with rods?
Remove cylinder head, remove oil pan, remove anything else in the way, remove rods and pistons. Replace rings and reassemble.

I can do it without taking the engine out.....but I'm not doing any machine work at all, only stuffing fresh rings in it. Not even honing the cylinder walls.

If machining is expected, then pulling the block may be necessary.
I'm tryna sell it for 5500 on craigslist before it goes bad.
Ring replacement is gonna be quite a bit of work and some expense. Then you may as well keep the dang thing and drive the wheels off of it LOL.

I'd say to just sell it and not say anything about it. Very few people who are selling a car are gonna tell all the bad stuff and ruin a sale, why should you?

Keep the oil full.
Sell it as-is, NO WARRANTY expressed or implied.
New owner will own all problems that come with any used car.
Old 07-19-2016
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

I filled up to full oil a week ago, now i'm in between minimum and maximum fill.
how far are you driving in this time? (miles?)

if money is an issue, i would just keep it and top the oil up when nessessary, you can buy a lot of oil for the cost and hassle of a ring job
Old 07-19-2016

Originally Posted by mikey1
I drive about 50 miles per week, therefore everyone else on the planet drives exactly the same amount per week as I........
Old 07-28-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mikey1

if money is an issue, i would just keep it and top the oil up when nessessary, you can buy a lot of oil for the cost and hassle of a ring job
I topped it off one time ever since and it's been max fill 100% no doubt.
However I do have an idle issue now so :P Going to get my iacv cleaned out.
Instead of buying a new one for 150 or used for 20$ im just going to buy a parts TB with everything on it for 50$ that way i dont **** with sensors or individual parts.

I think the car was just eating oil ever since my straight pipe and now its sufficiently lubricated. If there's any dry spots in an engine that oil around it burns off easier.
Old 07-31-2016
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
dsm482 has a spectacular aura aboutdsm482 has a spectacular aura about

**** its not only mee..

how long do rings last ezone, out of experience?

i still think somehow i busted mine when i broke the valves.. there was no oil loss before hand for me.
after that it eats a 1 quart every 1000 miles
Old 07-31-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by dsm482
**** its not only mee..

how long do rings last ezone, out of experience?

i still think somehow i busted mine when i broke the valves.. there was no oil loss before hand for me.
after that it eats a 1 quart every 1000 miles

in my opinion rings should last the lifetime of the engine if you maintain your oil properly, meaning never let it run low and change it frequently, i dont burn a drop between oil changes at 300,000+Kms
Old 07-31-2016

Originally Posted by dsm482
**** its not only mee..

how long do rings last
Oil rings usually just get stuck, not worn out....
can be all over the map, we've seen consumption problems by 50k, and others might never.

Compression rings depend on quality air filtration. Let the engine inhale abrasives and rings will be wasted quickly.

Im thinking of a 97 accord with 450k+ that stil doesnt lose much between changes.
Old 08-03-2016
Registered!!

Oil loss is back. After a week at being at max fill dot, a night of freeway riding at 4k RPM and hitting 90 my oil is at 1/2 max fill. I'd say 3.5 quarts compared to a solid 4.
Old 08-03-2016

High piston speed increases oil consumption.
Old 08-04-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
High piston speed increases oil consumption.
Thanks for that. Payday is soon so 10$ for oil every two weeks isn't bad until I sell it.

Might get another 7th gen due to how ****ing easy it is to maintain, or buy ****ed up and fixed. Or just pull a motor for 350$ and do major servicing to it like new headgasket, cylinder head resurfacing, and valve clearance.

Probably just new valve stem seals if I get a tool.

Ezone do you have a link for a valve spring compressor tool? I used a cheapo 20$ clamp but something that makes the job easier/faster will make valve stem seals less of a bitch.

My suspension is brand ****ing new and I wouldn't just sell my car due to a piston issue.

I mean i did get 4k cash offer and i'm tryna sell the 142k motor for 5500 and get a ninja 300 or an 05 civic ex 2 dr vtec
Old 08-04-2016

Ezone do you have a link for a valve spring compressor tool?
No.. I'd farm it out to a machine shop and let them worry about it LOL
I seriously hate dinking with keepers.
Old 08-05-2016
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

If you have not already swap to 10w30 and run Lucas HD.

You will lose HP, fuel efficiency, and emissions will increase (all marginally), but the burning will decrease.

If you want to replace the rings fallow this DIY

Old 08-07-2016
Registered!!

Where can I buy the complete assembled piston/rod.

That seems really ****ing easy. Can do it in a day.

I spent 6k on my car doing a complete rebuild from buying it to rebuilding. It seems almost worth it to sell for 4-5k and buying a clean title or a mazda 3 2005