7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2004 Driver airbag not recalled, help me feel better?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rip3785 is an unknown quantity at this point
2004 Driver airbag not recalled, help me feel better?

2004 4Dr Civic LX

A couple of years ago the passenger side airbag(or inflator, whatev) was replaced under recall. I never really felt great that they were only doing the pass side.

The recalls are ever expanding, but I've checked the recall website and still no recall regarding the driver side airbag. This confuses me and I'd love to know why? Was the drivers side airbag made by another manufacturer that has had no issues? Something else?

We live in a high humidity state, car is never garaged, and I would not be happy to become part of the data set that causes the recall to expand further to cover our model.

I fully understand statistics and logic, realizing that even if the airbag were to deploy in an accident that odds of shrapnel and resultant injury/death are not high. But that is not necessarily comfort to Mrs. R, who drives it daily in heavy traffic. So I'd love it if there were an obvious explainable reason.

If you can help shed some light, I'd be extremely grateful.
Old 07-01-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2004 Driver airbag not recalled, help me feel better?

The recall applies to your model year but if your particular VIN doesn't fall under the recall listing then it's not a problem. Not all cars are affected.

The recall applies to Takata brand inflators.
Yours could have a different brand inflator (Autoliv) which is not affected by any recall.
Old 07-01-2016
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

No comfort here except the Federal Government told the owners of these to park them..... The models identified by NHTSA include: 2001-2002 Honda Civic, 2001-2002 Honda Accord, 2002-2003 Acura TL, 2002 Honda CR-V, 2002 Honda Odyssey, 2003 Acura CL, 2003 Honda Pilot.
Big mess. When this started, I ask them to turn them off and they would not. Filed a complaint with the motor company. One of the reason I purchased the CR-V in 2005 was the 6 air bags. Not sure why but my 2005 CR-V has had both sides replaced twice now since this started. The last time was the passenger side a few weeks back for the second time. I ask them to check since it had been done last year and I figured they got their wires crossed. They never came back but when they finished, it was on the paperwork. Ask them if this was a new air inflation can that was OK now and they told me no. That it was only a temporary till the new design was available.
Could my dealer just be replacing them ever year now till the new design comes available? I did not see the second recall for both sides anywhere.
Old 07-01-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

No comfort here except the Federal Government told the owners of these to park them..... The models identified by NHTSA include: 2001-2002 Honda Civic, 2001-2002 Honda Accord, 2002-2003 Acura TL, 2002 Honda CR-V, 2002 Honda Odyssey, 2003 Acura CL, 2003 Honda Pilot.
RE: the fear mongering news articles posted very recently such as this one: http://michiganradio.org/post/stop-d...ately#stream/0

Found some info from Honda, posted yesterday afternoon:

The 01-03 cars mentioned have been under a recall that began in 2008, but approximately 30% of those cars on the road still haven't received the repairs needed.

The intent of the announcement is to get the owners of the roughly 313,000 remaining cars from the 01-03 year group to visit a dealership to be repaired.
Old 07-03-2016
Registered!!

Madonna4977 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well if you do some hunting around, their are fuses under the driver side dash, just pull the fuse like I did.
Old 07-03-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Madonna4977
Well if you do some hunting around, their are fuses under the driver side dash, just pull the fuse like I did.
Can you get them all without setting a code and not killing other things? May be a temporary fix if they do not have your inflator now. You sure do not want to leave it like that long or sell it like that for sure. I know it's illegal for the dealer to do that. Like Ezone said, they probably have inflators for those older cars now.
Old 07-04-2016

Like Ezone said, they probably have inflators for those older cars now.
Most have to be ordered using the cars VIN. Most parts can be available next day in many cases.

Originally Posted by Madonna4977
Why the hell do people just ignore safety recalls?

At least one of the recent widely publicized fatalities involving a Takata inflator was on a car that had been under recall (for a few years already, IIRC), but the owner never took it to a dealer to have to inflator replaced.

Last edited by ezone; 07-04-2016 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-04-2016
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ezone

Why the hell do people just ignore safety recalls?

Can't be the cost as it's free.
Old 07-05-2016
Registered!!

Doubt the older cars that the Government told people to stop driving got notices. I have had one notice a while back that I would receive a notice when the inflator was available. I have never received anything else. So far, they have replace 4 inflators on the car only because I take it in yearly for a free state inspection and oil /filter change.
Old 07-05-2016

Many people never bother to send in the change of ownership information card in the owners manual stuff, nor call customer service hotline or website to update their info. Dealers don't normally do it, that is the owners responsibility.

If Honda corporate has no idea someone different bought one of their cars (used), notifications go to the last known owner on file.

I've heard the manufacturers are starting to use DMV databases to notify owners of cars with outstanding recalls, because of the importance of this recall.

I have never received anything else. So far, they have replace 4 inflators on the car only because I take it in yearly
This sometimes happens if the dealer completes the work before notices are mailed by corporate.
We check recall status on every VIN that rolls in the door so we may complete quite a few before the owners are notified by mail. Sometimes they still get the mailer sent anyway.
Old 07-05-2016
Registered!!

Guess what...just got the recall paper for the passenger inflator today in the mail...Honda says they recommend no one sitting in the passenger side.
For all those with the driver's inflator still needing fixed, you should sit in the middle and use your left hand and foot to drive car. Also lean to the right and do a showboat position...
Old 07-05-2016

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
For all those with the driver's inflator still needing fixed, you should sit in the middle and use your left hand and foot to drive car. Also lean to the right and do a showboat position...
Pics, or it didn't happen.
Old 07-06-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Pics, or it didn't happen.
The quote for the driver's side was mine.
Old 07-06-2016

The quote for the driver's side was mine.
Yeah I know, I just wanted to see someone showboating in the middle of the car while driving.
Old 07-08-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Guess what...just got the recall paper for the passenger inflator today in the mail...Honda says they recommend no one sitting in the passenger side.
believe me or not, I need to sit in the middle, with the stick up me ***...

yeah, I need to call and get to the dealer...

Shame on me, truly...

I receive them every once in a while, since 2014...

as per Murphy, now that i said this publicly, I will need to do, otherwise something will happen in the near future...