7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Tdc sensor code P1362

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
zxzkilme2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Tdc sensor code P1362

Let me start things off by saying that my car was at first had p0420 (catalyst below threshold). I deleted the code with a code reader and the check engine light turned itself off. after driving the car for 3 days my car all of the sudden went into (limp mode), car was stopped all of the sudden as if it was about to die but didnt the check engine light went on again but it wasnt the p0420. It went to the point that it was about to die but didnt. It was still running but it was running bad as if its at the point of dying. The idle was really low and at the point of turning off the car itself. I was able to drive it back home and when I did I pulled out the code reader that I had and checked it. It now gives me p1362 (tdc sensor no signal). Question 1 did removing the code p0420 somehow made the car run the way it shouldn't have ran since it was suppose to have that code and caused the tdc sensor to break? Question 2 I replaced to Tdc sensor today I bought off ebay for $12 what happen was I started the car after replacing the tdc sensor the check engine light was still on the car was still running in limp mode given that the idle was really low and it looked like it was about to turn off. So i figured maybe the ecu hasn't registered that the tdc sensor was fixed and it was still being forced to run in limp mode. So then I got the code reader and deleted the p1362 code while the car was turned off but it wasnt fully off the key was still in the ignition and everything was on except the engine itself. So after deleting the p1362 with a code reader I started the car back up again and it ran smoothly. No check engine, the car wasnt in limp mode, it wasnt idling low, it wasn't at the point where it was about to die. So I turned it off again. Then when I started the car back up again limp mode again but this time its different. right when I start up the car it will idle really low and turn off. The check engine light doesn't come on anymore. If i try to help the car and step on the gas right after starting the car it will just start up and it idles fine. The car doesnt seem to have any problems. I'm 100% sure this car is still in limp mode and that replacing the tdc sensor did not fix anything. Could it be the wiring thats causing the P1362? Bad wiring causes the car not to read the tdc sensor? Basically my car now just turns off right after starting it. It will try to stay on but it will turn off unless I hit the gas pedal and help it accelerate. After that point it idles fine. It seems like the problem just got worse. can anyone list me the possibilities of problems that this car has. I know this car is still in limp mode the check engine light just doesn't want to come on anymore because I deleted the code. Could the wiring be the one that's bad instead of the sensor? Could I have bought a faulty sensor which didn't really fix anything at all? what other problems could be fixed here the get this car out of limp mode? I basically want this p1362 code fixed.

Other problems this car had was that the battery was completely dead at one point I loosened the wires and cleaned it which had the car running fine again. This was before the P1362 problem I don't know if a dying battery would cause the tdc sensor to malfunction.

Last edited by zxzkilme2; 06-13-2016 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-13-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tdc sensor code P1362

It now gives me p1362 (tdc sensor no signal). Question 1 did removing the code p0420 somehow made the car run the way it shouldn't have ran since it was suppose to have that code and caused the tdc sensor to break?
No, those should be completely unrelated problems.
Question 2 I replaced to Tdc sensor today I bought off ebay for $12
That's scary right there.

Then when I started the car back up again limp mode again but this time its different.
Any codes set at this point in time?
If no fault codes are set, then it is not limp mode.

I'm 100% sure this car is still in limp mode and that replacing the tdc sensor did not fix anything.
If the fault code for that sensor has not reset, then the new sensor fixed that code. Yes?
Could it be the wiring thats causing the P1362?
You just said it is not setting any fault codes, so no.

Other problems this car had was that the battery was completely dead at one point I loosened the wires and cleaned it which had the car running fine again
Maybe it just needs an idle relearn done.
Old 06-13-2016
Registered!!

Are you saying the tdc sensor I bought off eBay could have been faulty? Is that why you say it's scary? The model I bought seems to be right. Looks exactly the same too.

No. After I installed the tdc sensor I started up the car and the check engine was still there and it was still in limp mode. I turned off the car and got the code reader and it still gave me a p1362 code. I then deleted the code thinking the ecu didn't delete it itself and when I started the car it ran smoothly. I then turned it off and turned it on again and it was back in limp mode but the check engine light didn't come back on. No codes have been set the check engine light is off. The car will start fine if I hit the gas pedal right after starting it to help it accelerate. It will then idle normally and won't seem to be running in limp mode. Basically it will start the car and start to die right away. Sometimes it goes sometimes it wont have enough power and the car turns off unless I hit the gas pedal to help it accelerate the rpm.

Did I buy a poorly made tdc sensor? Is that why it's running so poorly? Or maybe it's still in limp mode but the check engine light did not come back on? that's what I'm tripping about. Why didn't it come back on?

Last edited by zxzkilme2; 06-13-2016 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-13-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Are you saying the tdc sensor I bought off eBay could have been faulty? Is that why you say it's scary? The model I bought seems to be right. Looks exactly the same too.
It's cheap. I sure wouldn't expect much for that price. JMO.

No. After I installed the tdc sensor I started up the car and the check engine was still there and it was still in limp mode. I turned off the car and got the code reader and it still gave me a p1362 code. I then deleted the code thinking the ecu didn't delete it itself and when I started the car it ran smoothly.
You have to manually erase codes yourself, that's accurate.
The computer can erase codes by itself but it would have to see many run cycles repeated with zero errors before it will turn off the light on its own, erase codes and delete the fault information from memory.

I then turned it off and turned it on again and it was back in limp mode but the check engine light didn't come back on. The car will start fine if I hit the gas pedal right after starting it to help it accelerate. It will then idle normally and won't seem to be running in limp mode. Basically it will start the car and start to die right away. Sometimes it goes sometimes it wont have enough power and the car turns off unless I hit the gas pedal to help it accelerate the rpm.
Sounds like you are confusing 'limp mode' with an idle speed problem. They are not the same.

You disconnected the battery, now it doesn't want to idle right.
Verify the IAC valve is working, not stuck.... See if the throttle body needs cleaned and do it if needed, clean the IAC valve too. Sometimes the rotary valve can stick in the open or closed position and that is what controls 90% of the idle RPM.
Then perform the idle relearn procedure and see if that helps.

Maybe something got messed up during your repair that is affecting how it idles. IDK.
Old 06-13-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
It's cheap. I sure wouldn't expect much for that price. JMO.

You have to manually erase codes yourself, that's accurate.
The computer can erase codes by itself but it would have to see many run cycles repeated with zero errors before it will turn off the light on its own, erase codes and delete the fault information from memory.

Sounds like you are confusing 'limp mode' with an idle speed problem. They are not the same.

You disconnected the battery, now it doesn't want to idle right.
Verify the IAC valve is working, not stuck.... See if the throttle body needs cleaned and do it if needed, clean the IAC valve too. Sometimes the rotary valve can stick in the open or closed position and that is what controls 90% of the idle RPM.
Then perform the idle relearn procedure and see if that helps.

Maybe something got messed up during your repair that is affecting how it idles. IDK.
So the tdc sensor problem is fixed? The p1362
Old 06-13-2016

Originally Posted by zxzkilme2
Which fault codes is the computer showing right now?
Old 06-13-2016
Registered!!

None. The car just dies after starting it. Readiness tests are not complete btw. That's what the code reader picks up. No p1362. Before starting the car the check engine light blinks 5 times then shuts off but that's for the readiness tests not for the actual check engine itself. The code reader doesn't pick up anything else. The readiness test problem happened before the tdc sensor problem and my car was running fine even when I had that problem.
Old 06-13-2016

None. The car just dies after starting it. Readiness tests are not complete btw. That's what the code reader picks up. No p1362. Before starting the car the check engine light blinks 5 times then shuts off but that's for the readiness tests not for the actual check engine itself. The code reader doesn't pick up anything else. The readiness test problem happened before the tdc sensor problem and my car was running fine even when I had that problem.
The computer says that code is fixed.

Move on to the next issue.
Old 06-13-2016
Registered!!

Well I don't believe there could be a new issue. Right after fixing the tdc sensor a new problem with the car happens now? What If the mechanic ****ed something up in my car. Come to think of it I didn't do an oil change myself and got walmart to do it. They told me it would take 5 hours and to please wait inside. Funny thing is these problems started to happen right after I got my oil changed. I don't know if they ****ed it up or not maybe just coincidence

Last edited by zxzkilme2; 06-13-2016 at 10:31 PM.
Old 06-13-2016
Registered!!

Would it be possible the tdc problem caused a newer problem after fixing it?
Old 06-13-2016
Registered!!

What do you mean by iac valve stuck? Could the iac valve not be working anymore? Shouldn't the check engine light also turn on for this?
Old 06-13-2016
Registered!!

Last edited by zxzkilme2; 06-13-2016 at 11:17 PM.
Old 06-13-2016

Well I don't believe there could be a new issue.
Too bad.

It appears you have more than one single issue with the car that needs to be addressed.
What If the mechanic ****ed something up in my car
You can't blame anyone else for the problems until you solve them and determine a root cause of each. Once you figure out a cause, then you can figure out if someone sabotaged the car, or if it's just more broken crap on a 15 year old car with a ton of miles on it.

If you aren't doing the work yourself then you are at the mercy of your mechanic. I suggest you find one that is competent and one you can trust.

Walmart doesn't fix cars.
What do you mean by iac valve stuck? Could the iac valve not be working anymore? Shouldn't the check engine light also turn on for this?
Stuck. Can't move. Obstructed. Sometimes. I was only tossing it out as a possibility that could be checked, that would be related to an idle RPM concern.
Yes.
Maybe, maybe not.
Old 06-14-2016
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

What is the history of the current timing belt? Would a skipped belt cause these symptoms? If it skipped, it would stall.
Old 06-14-2016
Registered!!

I replaced it 2 years ago. The car doesn't stall it doesn't want to idle. Right when I start the car it will idle really low and turn off if I hit the gas pedal it might just start
Old 06-14-2016
Registered!!

You were wrong the tdc sensor is not fixed it still does not work. The 1 I bought did not do anything. you told me it was fixed and now my car is even more messed up now. P0113 and p1362. Like I said the new tdc sensor did not do anything my car is still in limp mode. I took your advice and took it as an idling problem but you're wrong. The reason why it idles so low is because the car is still in limp mode and the check engine light hasn't come on yet. I kept gasing the car to start because you said it was an idling problem and it just made it worse
Now it says p0113 and p1362.
Old 06-14-2016

Lighten up, Francis. You're the one with the broken car in front of you, not me. I can only read what you wrote, and yesterday you said there was no code set.

So it finally set the P1362 code again? So much for your $12 ebay sensor. Try one from Honda this time?
Maybe you need a cylinder head replacement instead of a sensor..Does the TSB for this apply to YOUR car?

P0113 is not for the cam sensor. Why did you set that code now? What did you unplug? You got wiring problems or something?
Old 06-15-2016
Registered!!

What is the wiring that connects to the tdc sensor called? Could a bad oxygen sensor cause a p1362?
Old 06-15-2016

What is the wiring that connects to the tdc sensor called?

Um, wiring that connects to the tdc sensor LOL
Old 06-15-2016
Registered!!

What do you call it then? a cable connects to the tdc sensor right? Ok then tell me what it is
Old 06-15-2016
Registered!!

You're acting all smart but you're the dipshit that told me my car wasn't in limp mode anymore
Old 06-15-2016

It's part of the engine wiring harness.
Old 06-15-2016
Registered!!

Any chances that there could be something wrong with the cylinder head instead?
Old 06-15-2016
Registered!!

AlexFromCali is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
No, those should be completely unrelated problems.
That's scary right there.

Any codes set at this point in time?
If no fault codes are set, then it is not limp mode.

If the fault code for that sensor has not reset, then the new sensor fixed that code. Yes?
You just said it is not setting any fault codes, so no.

Maybe it just needs an idle relearn done.
I have a cat code and a cpm code. Sensor is fine but I'm unsure about the wiring harness.

I reset ECU so I need idle relearn done but my car does not START! It cranks and cranks and nothing happens. I have fuel pressure and my fuel pump is fine any ideas?

Crank is not TDC but timing isn't off since it was done.
Old 06-15-2016
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

You're acting all smart but you're the dipshit that told me my car wasn't in limp mode anymore
Slow down turbo. Check ezone's history; he's a Honda tech.

This is your warning. Play nice. He's doing as much as he can to help. If you haven't noticed, it's quite hard to diagnose a car without being able to see and hear what's going on.
Old 06-15-2016
Registered!!

Alright
Old 06-15-2016
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for understanding