Regular Maintenance Post Questions/Information about Regular Maintenance here

Cvt or ATF fluid

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
josalvarez is an unknown quantity at this point
Cvt or ATF fluid

Hello I just took my 2004 Honda Civic hybrid with 101,000 miles to a local Honda where a friend that is a mechanic did a side job for me. I had originally bought cvt fluid to replace in the vehicle but my buddy stated that I should return it so I can put ATF fluid in the vehicle instead. The reason being is because the dipstick reads "ATF" as well as the car manual specifying for ATF-Z1. My buddy went ahead and replaced it but I'm left considering whether or not he did the right choice. Do you guys think I should leave the ATF fluid in or replace it with CVT.

So far I have driven the vehicle about 20 miles since the change and want to take action ASAP before any potential damage can be done to the transmission
Old 06-10-2016
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Cvt or ATF fluid

...I checked a mechanic program and it contradicts it's self.

There are two options for transmissions, one regular AT and one CVT. The AT only states to use ATF-Z1 (which is old and is now covered by ATF DW-1)

the cvt states

"Type Always use Honda ATF-Z1 (Automatic Transmission Fluid ATF).

Honda Service News Notice:
If you're replacing transmission fluid in a CVT-equipped vehicle, or just topping it off, make sure you're using the new CVT fluid (P/N 08200-9006). From here on, DON'T put ATF-Z1 in a CVT. If you're topping off a CVT that's already got ATF-Z1, there's no need for concern; this fluid is compatible with ATF-Z1. All CVT-equipped Hondas starting with the 2006 models and onward will be factory-filled with the new CVT fluid."
Old 06-10-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

When the cars originally came out they could have used atf, but in the years since they came out with improved fluid better suited to the CVT, and that's what we use.

Don't confuse this fluid intended for CVT with a start clutch, with the fluids designed for use in the newest version of the CVT trans with a fluid coupling (lockup torque converter), they use HCF-2 which is not compatible and not interchangeable.
Old 06-10-2016
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ezone
When the cars originally came out they could have used atf, but in the years since they came out with improved fluid better suited to the CVT, and that's what we use.

Don't confuse this fluid intended for CVT with a start clutch, with the fluids designed for use in the newest version of the CVT trans with a fluid coupling (lockup torque converter), they use HCF-2 which is not compatible and not interchangeable.

The HCf2 is only used in 2013 and newer 4 cylinder accords, 15 and newer crv's, 14 and newer civics. Civic hybrids are listed as using CVT fluid in all models between 2003 and 2015. I have not heard about what the new generation (2016+) civic hybrid will use when they start building them.
Old 04-26-2020
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Victor Gonzalez is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mac25
...I checked a mechanic program and it contradicts it's self.

There are two options for transmissions, one regular AT and one CVT. The AT only states to use ATF-Z1 (which is old and is now covered by ATF DW-1)

the cvt states

"Type Always use Honda ATF-Z1 (Automatic Transmission Fluid ATF).

Honda Service News Notice:
If you're replacing transmission fluid in a CVT-equipped vehicle, or just topping it off, make sure you're using the new CVT fluid (P/N 08200-9006). From here on, DON'T put ATF-Z1 in a CVT. If you're topping off a CVT that's already got ATF-Z1, there's no need for concern; this fluid is compatible with ATF-Z1. All CVT-equipped Hondas starting with the 2006 models and onward will be factory-filled with the new CVT fluid."
So you're saying that they are now recommending to use cvt fluid?
Old 04-26-2020
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

This thread is 4 years old...
if you have a CVT trans obviously you use CTV fluid. Owners manual will tell you this