7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Looking to buy either a 6th or 7th gen civic

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
darthtony360 is an unknown quantity at this point
Looking to buy either a 6th or 7th gen civic

Hey everyone!

I have been thinking in terms of whether to repair/ replace the engine for my Honda civic 1997 DX Coupe Manual with 163,000 miles or to just get another car. The head gasket and the engine block are bad and I got opinions from two mechanics. One told me to repair or replace the engine, in which everything will cost $1200 and the other mechanic told me to expect to pay 622.00 to fix the head gasket , which indicates that engine might still work and it doesn't , then the cost of the repair will get to $1100.

I also been thinking of getting another reliable car , probably another civic. I have read negative reviews about the 7th gen and problems with transmission and other stuff. If they are no problems with the manual civics 01-05, then I can perhaps can buy one of those instead of a 6th gen

I was wondering if the manual transmission civics from 2001-2005 have any transmission problems??

Which year of the 7th gen is the most reliable and less problems?

Are they more reliable than the 6th gen civics (1996-2000)?

I'm in a budget of $2500 right now, hopefully to get $3000 to get another car by the end of month.
Old 06-02-2016
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Looking to buy either a 6th or 7th gen civic

Originally Posted by darthtony360
Hey everyone!

I have been thinking in terms of whether to repair/ replace the engine for my Honda civic 1997 DX Coupe Manual with 163,000 miles or to just get another car. The head gasket and the engine block are bad and I got opinions from two mechanics. One told me to repair or replace the engine, in which everything will cost $1200 and the other mechanic told me to expect to pay 622.00 to fix the head gasket , which indicates that engine might still work and it doesn't , then the cost of the repair will get to $1100.
What's 'bad' about the engine block? Seems weird to me. If you have the means and ability you can do a headgasket relatively cheap. Alternatively last time I priced a D16y7 at my local wrecking yard it was $500.

I was wondering if the manual transmission civics from 2001-2005 have any transmission problems??
As far as I know trans issues are limited to autos

Which year of the 7th gen is the most reliable and less problems?
Opinion seems that the last 2 manufacturer years of each generation are the best as issues get refined/resolved in the generation.

Are they more reliable than the 6th gen civics (1996-2000)?
No... there is nothing better than a 6th gen.

I'm in a budget of $2500 right now, hopefully to get $3000 to get another car by the end of month.
I've been looking at maybe buying another car lately and I've been seeing super cheap 7th gens with higher mileage. Anytime your looking at a used car do your due diligence first... or end up buying somebody else's problem. Ask for service history, timing belt changes, headgasket work, oil change intervals, accidents, ect, ect. Have it checked out by a mechanic

When I look at these super 'cheap' 7th gens for sale I already know they are problem cars without going to see them in person.
Old 06-02-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stock 99
What's 'bad' about the engine block? Seems weird to me.
Check this thread
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/183-6th-generation-civic/367493-blown-head-gasket-damaged-engine-something-else-honda-civic-1997-dx-coupe.html

About post #10 it starts getting vague and weird.
Think his mechanic might be scared of doing a head gasket on it or something?
Old 06-02-2016
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

ohhh... I see....

Changing a headgasket isn't for everybody but if you want an idea of what's involved I've used this as a reference before......

http://hondaswap.com/threads/how-to-...of-pics.71528/
Old 06-15-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7TH Gen JDM is an unknown quantity at this point

The 6th gen civic is a sub-compact while the 7th gen is a bit larger inside putting it into the compact category. You hear a lot about transmission problems mainly because there are so many of them. And people expect them to run a quarter million miles without a fluid change.
For the money you're talking you could get a nice medium mileage '01-'02 And don't forget about your old car. It ought to bring $500, even running badly.

Shopping for a Civic I run a compression test. It takes 20 minutes and tells you everything about the life left in the engine.
Don't worry too much about oil all over the front of the motor, all the valve cover gaskets leak.
Second I check for service on the transmission. Check it carefully on the test drive. Pull the dipstick and check the fluid quality, but when people start experiencing transmission problems.....THEN they change the fluid.