7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Window works intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice
Window works intermittently

My right rear window started working intermittently so some investigation was necessary.

I figured that it might be a loose connection since it works fine sometimes and not at all other times.
With that in mind:
I researched the power using the wire diagrams and test procedures using the repair manual I posted here (see page 2330): https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz...WxhNkV6aWxTeFU

I began by removing the right rear door panel, removing the connector from the window switch and using a test light on the connector. I did not find 12v.

I checked fuse 25 and this is what I found...
Name:  IMG_20160515_120529_zpssyoj0lkh.jpg
Views: 1013
Size:  256.1 KB

So I replaced the fuse and the problem seems to be solved.

Last edited by bsmiley; 05-15-2016 at 12:26 PM. Reason: fix link
Old 05-15-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Window works intermittently

So what blew the fuse?

Link goes to a body repair manual?
Old 05-15-2016
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

Thanks, I fixed the link...

No idea what blew the fuse. The wiring looked fine at the rear window. If it blows again I will suspect the window motor is drawing excessive current. But the window moves smoothly and at a healthy speed.

Fuses sometimes blow. The odd thing in my experience is that the fuse opened but was still able to make contact so that it worked intermittently. I first noticed the trouble in December. I investigated the RR switch and the master switch. I had 12v the whole time and I couldn't get it to fail.
A week or so later I put the window down about 4 inches and it didn't want to go back up. When I got home I was going to investigate it but the window went up.

This morning the window wasn't working and the weather is great today so I took a closer look.

I should have checked the fuse back in December. But I figured if the window worked sometimes, the fuse was good.... I was wrong.
Old 05-15-2016
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bsmiley
Thanks, I fixed the link...

No idea what blew the fuse. The wiring looked fine at the rear window. If it blows again I will suspect the window motor is drawing excessive current. But the window moves smoothly and at a healthy speed.

Fuses sometimes blow. The odd thing in my experience is that the fuse opened but was still able to make contact so that it worked intermittently. I first noticed the trouble in December. I investigated the RR switch and the master switch. I had 12v the whole time and I couldn't get it to fail.
A week or so later I put the window down about 4 inches and it didn't want to go back up. When I got home I was going to investigate it but the window went up.

This morning the window wasn't working and the weather is great today so I took a closer look.

I should have checked the fuse back in December. But I figured if the window worked sometimes, the fuse was good.... I was wrong.
You should check the door harness at the point where it bends and then connects to the body harness I had a couple broken wires in mine that caused the power lock to no longer function. The power window draws a fair amount of current, and if it has a shitty connection because of bad wires that may be what blew the fuse.
Just a thought.

Last edited by Colin42; 05-16-2016 at 12:34 PM. Reason: added pictrures
Old 05-16-2016
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

Did the fuse blow again?
Does the window still attempt to roll up?

Watch the dome light while pressing the UP button on the switch. If the dome light dims slightly the window is attempting to roll up. This would point towards broken wiring in the door harness which is pretty common, and the replacement harness is fairly cheap.
Old 05-16-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

No idea what blew the fuse.
The queer electron blows the fuse!
Old 05-16-2016
Registered!!

Wires look fine and the fuse hasn't blown again.
No idea why the fuse blew, maybe it was supposed to be a 20 amp but could only hang with 10, or 12.
Window is working great.

Lesson here is always check the fuse first, even if its an intermittent problem.
Old 05-17-2016
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

weird.
you peeled the rubber boot back and looked at where they flex and bend when the door opens?
Old 05-17-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
weird.
you peeled the rubber boot back and looked at where they flex and bend when the door opens?
Yes. I live in a very mild climate. The right rear is not a high traffic spot on this car.
Old 05-18-2016
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bsmiley
Yes. I live in a very mild climate. The right rear is not a high traffic spot on this car.
The break in the wire doesn't have to be in the door with the problem. It can also be in the drivers door jamb as well. This is actually the more likely place for the break due to how much more the drivers door is opened and closed.