7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Manual trans noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dale Irish is an unknown quantity at this point
Manual trans noise

This may sound like a dumb question but i am going to ask anyway.

I need to replace the input shaft bearing and seal on 2001 LX. the car is high miles, 233k but still shifts great so its worth it to just repair instead of replace.

the question i have, should i replace the differential bearings while i am in there? And are the pressed on to the diff carrier?

every You Tube video and instructional i have seen so far nobody changes the diff bearing. they pull the diff out and plop it back in without changing bearings

i plan in pulling the trans this weekend and i thought i better be prepared with ALL the bearing just in case

any thoughts?
Old 05-12-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Manual trans noise

I'd not do that unless there's a noise problem or some other problem from the diff.

I would however replace both axle seals while it's apart in addition to the input shaft seal you already noted.

Make sure to check both input shaft bearings.
Old 05-12-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
I'd not do that unless there's a noise problem or some other problem from the diff.

I would however replace both axle seals while it's apart in addition to the input shaft seal you already noted.

Make sure to check both input shaft bearings.
Thank you for your reply. I only wish I had checked this transmission over better when I had it out when I was replacing the engine. I knew there was a noise but I thought it was a throwout bearing so I replace the clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing and the noise is still there. Only then did I start looking on the sites in the forums to find out where the noise may be coming from. So now I have to take it back out.

You mention replacing both input shaft bearings. But I can't seem to find the second bearing in the Honda parts blow up. Do you have a pic of the other bearing
Old 05-12-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Dale Irish
Thank you for your reply. I only wish I had checked this transmission over better when I had it out when I was replacing the engine. I knew there was a noise but I thought it was a throwout bearing so I replace the clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing and the noise is still there. Only then did I start looking on the sites in the forums to find out where the noise may be coming from. So now I have to take it back out.

You mention replacing both input shaft bearings. But I can't seem to find the second bearing in the Honda parts blow up. Do you have a pic of the other bearing

Old 05-12-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Each shaft is always supported by a minimum of 2 bearings.
It's on the other end of the input shaft. (main shaft)
Old 05-13-2016
Registered!!

Each shaft is always supported by a minimum of 2 bearings.
It's on the other end of the input shaft. (main shaft)

thanks again, i couldn't open the picture, but between Alldata and the Honda parts website i think i will figure out the other bearing!! I appreciate you helping out!!
Old 05-13-2016

#15 should be the other input shaft (main shaft) bearing
Old 05-13-2016
Registered!!

#15 should be the other input shaft (main shaft) bearing
Thanks again. I figured it out today and ordered the bearings and seals at my local dealer. They give me wholesale price there and will have the parts tomorrow morning. We are removing trans this weekend. What a project this is becoming
Old 05-18-2016
Registered!!

7TH Gen JDM is an unknown quantity at this point

OOH, I wish I'd seen this post earlier. There is a bearing kit you can get from Vital Parts .com that is a rebuild kit for the entire transmission. Only $135! All 7 bearings and 3 or 4 seals. All premium quality Japanese bearings.
And it is no more difficult to rebuild the whole trans as it is to replace the main shaft bearing. They're all slip fit. Just take one bearing off, put the new one on. You have the transmission all apart anyway.
I just rebuilt one....my first transmission rebuild ever! There was a little pecking on it a little with a plastic mallet, but all in all it went perfectly!
And it really smoothed out the transmission. You can hear no difference whether the clutch is depressed or engaged. Before the rebuild when I let the clutch out it kind of sounded like sleigh bells. Now it's just quiet.
Old 05-18-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 7TH Gen JDM
OOH, I wish I'd seen this post earlier. There is a bearing kit you can get from Vital Parts .com that is a rebuild kit for the entire transmission. Only $135! All 7 bearings and 3 or 4 seals. All premium quality Japanese bearings.
And it is no more difficult to rebuild the whole trans as it is to replace the main shaft bearing. They're all slip fit. Just take one bearing off, put the new one on. You have the transmission all apart anyway.
I just rebuilt one....my first transmission rebuild ever! There was a little pecking on it a little with a plastic mallet, but all in all it went perfectly!
And it really smoothed out the transmission. You can hear no difference whether the clutch is depressed or engaged. Before the rebuild when I let the clutch out it kind of sounded like sleigh bells. Now it's just quiet.
Ohhh thanks for that info!! Lol, yeah, only after I ordered all the bearings and seals from honda did I see one of those kits. I'm ok with it though. I get wholesale price from the local dealer and everything is available next day.

Trans went back in the car tonight. Input shaft bearing was definitely shot. Should be good to go now!