7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Sedan door speakers: clearance below factory speaker grill?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LMLanph is an unknown quantity at this point
Sedan door speakers: clearance below factory speaker grill?

Hi all, from another helpful DIY post, I know I will need about .75" of spacer to make a particular speaker magnet clear the window in my 2001 sedan, but I am not sure if there's enough room under the door panel (speaker grill) to allow for this? Also, is a .75 or 1.0 inch spacer even practical--i know they're usually thinner...? Thx!

Last edited by LMLanph; 05-10-2016 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-10-2016
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sedan door speakers: clearance below factory speaker grill?

if I'm not mistaken, it's a 2.125" top mounting depth. When I installed my Alpine SPR-17C's (2.5" top mount depth) in my front doors, I used a dremel to cut away some door frame material in order to fit the speakers with.. .75" spacers, I believe. The speakers just had some components that stuck out weird and wouldn't clear any other way.

edit: My speakers are also 6.75", whereas stock is 6.5", so that may have something to do with me having to trim about a quarter inch of metal from the door.
Old 05-10-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LMLanph is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Sedan door speakers: clearance below factory speaker grill?

Hey thanks for the quick reply, in the post I was referring to, the guy shows a tape measure and about 1.75" depth available before running into the lowered window. Am I missing something in the terminology? Also, I need to know the clearance between the metal cutout, and the plastic grill above... Thanks again for any tips

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
if I'm not mistaken, it's a 2.125" top mounting depth. When I installed my Alpine SPR-17C's (2.5" top mount depth) in my front doors, I used a dremel to cut away some door frame material in order to fit the speakers with.. .75" spacers, I believe. The speakers just had some components that stuck out weird and wouldn't clear any other way.

edit: My speakers are also 6.75", whereas stock is 6.5", so that may have something to do with me having to trim about a quarter inch of metal from the door.