Engine start problems Post issues with engine start here. Does not start, does not run, etc.

Car Won't Start on Hot Days or after making other stops

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99FeatherStar is an unknown quantity at this point
Car Won't Start on Hot Days or after making other stops

I have had this problem with the car since I got it six years back, but it won't start if it is a hot day (especially a dry day) or after I have made several stops for the day (For example I go to three places in a couple of hours, by the third place, it doesn't want to start). I have taken it in, they have replaced the alternator, starter, battery cables and the battery, and the problem still went on. I even had one mechanic say it was probably because the starter they just put in was defective, so the replaced it with a new one and it still did the same thing.

The car will start eventually, I just have to wait a few minutes. It sounds like it is trying to "catch" to start, it will make the same noise along with a faint clicking sound. It seems like when I turn the key to turn on the car, but not start it, and leave it for awhile, it helps.

Because the car starts eventually, the mechanics that I have been too, one of them who I have been going to for years and specializes in Hondas, says they can't find it, it could be a ground wire issue. And that it will cost me a bunch of money to trouble shoot.

Before I do that I wanted to post on here to see what others might think it is, I have searched similar forums and it sounds like it could be a main relay, but who knows.

I have attached a video of what it does, it will do this for a couple or several minutes, then it will start just fine.

It's a 2005 Civic SI, has about 140k miles.

Thank you for reading and thanks for your help!
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_5124.MOV (510.1 KB, 489 views)

Last edited by 99FeatherStar; 04-28-2016 at 11:20 AM. Reason: To include model/year
Old 04-28-2016
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Car Won't Start on Hot Days or after making other stops

I have read that a failing main fuel relay can cause your symptoms in hot weather. I'd seriously look into swapping that out to see if that helps. I know you have thrown a lot of part s at it but if it were me I would try this one last solution.
Old 04-28-2016
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Fuel pump/filter? Air filter?
Old 04-28-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

In your video I hear a short buzz followed by the sound of the starter cranking normally then the engine starting.

The short buzz is usually repeatable on many of Hondas cars whenever the key wasn't twisted all the way to crank position, or it was twisted too slowly.
Old 04-29-2016
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Another check would be failing electrical contacts in the ignition switch.
Old 04-29-2016
Registered!!

99FeatherStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your input! I will check all of these things out!
Old 07-18-2019
Registered!!

texans is an unknown quantity at this point

Were you able to diagnose the issue. I'm having something similar.
Old 07-18-2019
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by texans
Were you able to diagnose the issue. I'm having something similar.
this is a 7th gen, different animals
Old 07-19-2019
Registered!!

texans is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. Yeah different generation for sure.
Old 10-12-2019
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wistech100215 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just got done repairing my 2005 honda civic ex special edition, the crankshaft speed sensor plug got salt water damaged or corroded it would randomly not start after short trips to like 5 to 10 miles, never had a service light or code for the no start problem, I found it by watching live feed of the engine rpms with this problem the rpms were very erratic or none at all causing a no start until it colded for 30min to sometimes 12hrs before it would start again it took about 3 months to figure this out because it completely failed yesterday then today I was going to replace both the crankshaft sensor and cam sensor when I found the bad plug and replaced it with a like new used plug cut off of a 2003 Honda civic hybrid map sensor my spare car for parts.
Old 01-02-2020
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wistech100215 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wistech100215
I just got done repairing my 2005 honda civic ex special edition, the crankshaft speed sensor plug got salt water damaged or corroded it would randomly not start after short trips to like 5 to 10 miles, never had a service light or code for the no start problem, I found it by watching live feed of the engine rpms with this problem the rpms were very erratic or none at all causing a no start until it colded for 30min to sometimes 12hrs before it would start again it took about 3 months to figure this out because it completely failed yesterday then today I was going to replace both the crankshaft sensor and cam sensor when I found the bad plug and replaced it with a like new used plug cut off of a 2003 Honda civic hybrid map sensor my spare car for parts.
Note if your 1.7l 7th gen civic randomly don't start but turns over fine make sure the crankshaft sensor is sending a good signal to the ECM because my 2005 ex civic needed a new crankshaft sensor and wiring harness plug installed to fix the problem, my car started this problem at about 144,000 miles I repaired it at 160,000 now has almost 180,000 miles on it never had a starting problem since, good luck everyone

Last edited by BrotatoChip; 01-02-2020 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Readability