7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Intermittent Engine Cut Out at 3K+ RPM

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Matthew Alder is an unknown quantity at this point
Intermittent Engine Cut Out at 3K+ RPM

I've been having an issue with my 7th gen Vi civic where under acceleration and at engine speed generally above 3K RPM the engine will violently jolt, as though it missed on all 4 cylinders for just one crank revolution and then continues on without issue. The engine light does not turn on.
So far I've replaced the crank angle sensor, spark plugs and coil packs and now I'm all out of ideas.
There seems to be no pattern to when it happens or at what rpm it occurs, sometimes I can drive it to almost limiter without it happening and other times it will do it when cruising in 5th on the highway with the throttle just cracked open.
It is also generally characterised with a jolt of power immediately after, normally enough to make the wheels chirp.
The only other issue is, sometimes it will not start. It turns over fine and turns on then immediately turns off. Not sure if related or not.
If anyone has any ideas I'm keen to hear them before I spend a bucket of money on it!
Old 04-20-2016
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Intermittent Engine Cut Out at 3K+ RPM

Check out the diagnostics in this video...
Old 04-20-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Matthew Alder is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive tried everything in that video and still no luck..
The only other thing i can think of is the alternator. Ive noticed the head lights flicker at the same frequency as the engine, only very slightly, but the voltage difference may be enough to make the ECU shut off momentarily.
Old 04-21-2016
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, the alternator should be checked. I had mine replaced but I would get the battery light flickering until the engine died. Do you have the battery light flickering before it dies? The problem I had for so long before replacing the alt was that when tested, it tested OK. One needed to test when it was occasionally acting up, but that was not practical. Anyway reman alt and everything is fine now. Many have had to replace the alt at some point on these vehicles - like the head gasket.
Old 04-21-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Ground for the PCM and much of the engine controls (G101) is it clean and tight?
Some engines have this on the thermostat housing, other engines have it elsewhere.

Pic of grounds on a USA 1.7L engine, top radiator hose area:
Name:  E9Yk3SN.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  788.5 KB