7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

P2646 after head gasket

Old 03-29-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04em2civic is an unknown quantity at this point
P2646 after head gasket

So I just bought an 04 em2. It has 130k on it. When I bought it 2 weeks ago I found out it needed a head gasket. Just got that done yesterday and picked the car up today. Ran great then when I hit vtec a couple times a check engine light came on for p2646. Shop can't figure out anything with it. Looked into it and found most likely cause to be fault pressure switch. I have one coming. I did the test of checking for continuity at 3000rpm with the sensor unhooked and found continuity at 3000. From what I read that means faulty pressure switch. Is there any other way to narrow this down? We just did an oil change on the car because of the bad head gasket. Oil level is fine. Vtec engages fine for a couple tries then does this. I should also state that on the shops scan tool with the car running it says the switch is on. If you drive the car the switch stays on and when vtec engages the solenoid opens. If I read correctly the switch isn't suppose to stay on all the time correct?
Old 03-29-2016
Registered!!

MassCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: P2646 after head gasket

Try pulling the solenoid off and cleaning it out, could be gummed up jamming the spring inside or the filter screen could be really clogged.
Old 03-29-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MassCivic
Try pulling the solenoid off and cleaning it out, could be gummed up jamming the spring inside or the filter screen could be really clogged.
Just makes no sense as it was perfect (minus the head gasket) before I had the work done. Now it's not something got messed up
Old 03-29-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Remove the valve cover.
Look for this bolt missing:

Name:  SN852024.jpg
Views: 2374
Size:  90.1 KB

This wasn't my pic..
VTEC actuating oil pressure was bleeding out through the open hole.
Old 03-29-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Remove the valve cover.
Look for this bolt missing:

This wasn't my pic..
VTEC actuating oil pressure was bleeding out through the open hole.
Read about that, told tech after he put valve cover back on. And they were getting ready to close so gonna make sure they check that tomorrow.
Old 09-18-2016
Registered!!

CD_Hokie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 04em2civic
Read about that, told tech after he put valve cover back on. And they were getting ready to close so gonna make sure they check that tomorrow.
Hello! Were you able to fix the issue? I just had head gasket replacement done at the shop. Same error popped up. Didn't have this error prior to the gasket replacement. Any info you could share would be a great help.

Thanks!
CD
Old 09-18-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CD_Hokie
Hello! Were you able to fix the issue? I just had head gasket replacement done at the shop. Same error popped up. Didn't have this error prior to the gasket replacement. Any info you could share would be a great help.

Thanks!
CD
Remove your valve cover and check yours out, or show your mechanic this thread and pictures and have them recheck their work
Old 12-31-2018
Registered!!

CD_Hokie is an unknown quantity at this point

one of the bolts was not properly tightened! That's what was causing the problem. Thanks for the information! You are awesome!