7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Missing seat belt. please help.

Old 03-02-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help.me is an unknown quantity at this point
Missing seat belt. please help.

I have a 2003 Honda. I had little say in buying it. We bought it new, hundreds of miles away. I still live hundreds of miles away.

If I've had issues with the car, I have used a local Honda dealer usually but to be honest, I don't care for them as the staff have been rude.

I have a 4 door honda civic ex. I almost never have anyone ever sit in thr back. It's basically not used, rarely. However I know I could not have gone 13 years without noticing this problem.

In late 2014 I took my car in for a recall on the seat belts. It took weeks because apparently they ordered the wrong kind but didn't realize it until I brought my car in again.

Now, the invoice says the front two belts were bad and replaced. Nothing about the back. The problem is the back buckle part is missing in the seat on the right! Trust me it's not there. I looked....And looked! I couldn't believe it. Wtf?

How can it be missing? I definitely don't recall ANYTHING breaking and you can't just take those off.

I called and the lady had an attitude. I mean I remember it was there. I didnt go 13 years without a seat belt there!

I have to take the car in on Friday... Am I totally screwed? I have no way to prove this... ? Does anyone think if I call Honda directly I could get it replaced waiving a charge? Trust me, I am not trying to just get something free. I am freaking out...I was dumb and didn't check when the belt was replaced...

Basically I was thinking someone forgot to put the belt back on but I'm not sure why it would come off on the first place.. To be clear I am talking about the part of the belt that you clip on. The part that moved on the belt .

My whole family are huge fans of Honda. Life time owners... We have had more than 5 in our household..

Soemone....help.

Last edited by help.me; 03-02-2016 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-02-2016
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Missing seat belt. please help.

Pull the lower cushion and look under, & behind.

They would have no reason to remove it.

Edit: There are 2 U shaped pins in lower cushion that are pushed down into body at front edge, at passenger portion. They lift out but iirc are tight. Lift, then pull cushion forward

Last edited by CraigW; 03-02-2016 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-02-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
Pull the lower cushion and look under, & behind.

They would have no reason to remove it.

Edit: There are 2 U shaped pins in lower cushion that are pushed down into body at front edge, at passenger portion. They lift out but iirc are tight. Lift, then pull cushion forward
This was the first thing I did of course but there's no where for it to go. It's suppose to be attached to the belt that you pull across you to then clip in. It's not like it can be lost suddenly. Someone had to have removed it. How else could it just suddenly not be there.

Honestly I swear I remember using those seat belts. I've had people in the car and nobody has ever been like, "hey where's (said ) part of belt?" The car is over ten years old.

I mean the only explanation I can come up with is I somehow have overlooked this part for 13 years when we bought the car in a tiny dealership all those years ago or someone took that part out. It's not like it is easy either to take off either.
Old 03-02-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by help.me
This was the first thing I did of course but there's no where for it to go. It's suppose to be attached to the belt that you pull across you to then clip in. It's not like it can be lost suddenly. Someone had to have removed it. How else could it just suddenly not be there.

Honestly I swear I remember using those seat belts. I've had people in the car and nobody has ever been like, "hey where's (said ) part of belt?" The car is over ten years old.

I mean the only explanation I can come up with is I somehow have overlooked this part for 13 years when we bought the car in a tiny dealership all those years ago or someone took that part out. It's not like it is easy either to take off either.
Edit: I know this all sounds just weird but I mean I was caught off guard just trying to put my niece into the car and bam- nothing is on the belt so it's essentially useless.

Edit #: I think I am overreacting/upset/confused because I was expecting this part to cost a lot of money to replace and was frustrated with potentially stuck with the bill when I don't even know what the hell happened.......
But doing a quick search is yielding price at just a few dollars...so hopefully that's the case.

Last edited by help.me; 03-02-2016 at 05:32 PM. Reason: left stuff out
Old 03-02-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The rear seat RIGHT buckle set-- is a pair of buckles attached to a single bracket.
If one is still in place and visible, the other must be tucked under the seat or pushed through the slot in the bottom cushion.

Unless Fido chewed it off while nobody was looking.

Did you lift the back seat lower cushion up/out and look for the missing buckle yet?
The front edge is held by 2 hoops, just yank upward hard.
The rear edge has one bolt holding it to the body, need a 10mm socket and long extension, just aft of the buckle slots on one side or the other.