7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2005 ex special edition engine tick

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tanner George is an unknown quantity at this point
2005 ex special edition engine tick

A few weeks ago I started hearing a ticking noise while cruise control is on going down the highway on flat ground. When I would go I will go up Hill it would go away and when I was going down hill it will go away. Oil seems to be fine no metal shavings in it. Transmission seems to be fine no metal shavings in it. Spark plugs are 6 months old. I've also been told and have read possibly checking the gap on valves. Any help ? Thanks
Old 02-16-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2005 ex special edition engine tick

Valve adjustment? Sure, try it.
Old 02-17-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Valve adjustment? Sure, try it.
Well I was gonna try it but I was comming home today an am pretty sure I just blew up my engine. Oil lights came on check engine light came. About 20 min ago I checked oil and then this all happened. Now no oil in engine...
Old 02-17-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tanner George
Well I was gonna try it but I was comming home today an am pretty sure I just blew up my engine. Oil lights came on check engine light came. About 20 min ago I checked oil and then this all happened. Now no oil in engine...
Sorry to hear that man.

I guess it's a little late to worry about the noise now, but I bet your 'tick' was more like a loud 'knock'.

Maybe it had been run low on oil enough to cause some damage at some previous point.... Would that be when the noise began?
Now that damage has finally presented itself in a catastrophic way.

Maybe it had sludge or metal blocking the oil pump inlet or something, that could starve the oil pump.

At any rate, it sounds like it's time to find a used engine and spend a weekend changing it.
Old 02-18-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Sorry to hear that man.

I guess it's a little late to worry about the noise now, but I bet your 'tick' was more like a loud 'knock'.

Maybe it had been run low on oil enough to cause some damage at some previous point.... Would that be when the noise began?
Now that damage has finally presented itself in a catastrophic way.

Maybe it had sludge or metal blocking the oil pump inlet or something, that could starve the oil pump.

At any rate, it sounds like it's time to find a used engine and spend a weekend changing it.
Yeah... Pretty much sucks.. I did get a cod reader out and this is what it said.

Powertrain - Computer and Auxiliary Outputs - ISO/SAE Controlled
Description
"A" Rocker Arm Actuator System Performance/Stuck Off
Location Bank 1
Notes
The "A" rocker arm actuator shall be either the "intake," "left," or "front" rocker arm actuator. Left/Right and Front/Rear are determined as if viewed from the driver's seating position. Bank 1 contains cylinder number one, Bank 2 is the opposite bank. Where only one rocker arm actuator is used for both conditions "A" and "B", use the DTCs for "A".

Now I can still turn the engine on and have it running but it makes an awful noise and need to be on the gas. Might just need a new head ?

Last edited by ezone; 02-18-2016 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-18-2016

Originally Posted by Tanner George
Yeah... Pretty much sucks.. I did get a cod reader out and this is what it said.

Powertrain - Computer and Auxiliary Outputs - ISO/SAE Controlled
Description
"A" Rocker Arm Actuator System Performance/Stuck Off
Location Bank 1
Notes
The "A" rocker arm actuator shall be either the "intake," "left," or "front" rocker arm actuator. Left/Right and Front/Rear are determined as if viewed from the driver's seating position. Bank 1 contains cylinder number one, Bank 2 is the opposite bank. Where only one rocker arm actuator is used for both conditions "A" and "B", use the DTCs for "A".

Now I can still turn the engine on and have it running but it makes an awful noise and need to be on the gas. Might just need a new head ?
That's just info for the P1259 VTEC code, the most frequent cause is the oil is extremely low resulting in low oil pressure.

No, if what I think is accurate, a head will not solve anything. You need a complete engine.