7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

could this be the timing belt?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sharonmiller is an unknown quantity at this point
Question could this be the timing belt?

My 02 civic ex overheated and i drove it quit a distance and then warped the engine block. My mechanic fixed that and it ran great up till 2 mo. ago.Then the engine started making a deep sounding noise which had before made a normal noise. I was on my way to work going about 65mph when i kicked it down into 4th from 5th gear. It then made several loud banging sounds and stalled. the battery oil and engine light came on (well the engine light was always on for many months)Got it towed home and tried to start it and it turned over but makes a very loud banging noise as it is turning over. What can it possibly be. It has 112,000 miles. I change the oil every 5k miles with full synthetic.Can anyone help me please??
Old 01-27-2016
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: could this be the timing belt?

Sounds like something in (keyword there: in) your engine is very broken.
Old 01-28-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sharonmiller is an unknown quantity at this point

my backyard mechanic said he thinks the timing belt was breaking or broke and that damaged the con rods as there is oil coming out of head gasket on right side of engine. He has not given me a price but does anyone know what the dealer or backyard mechanic would charge for this repair?
Old 01-28-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

What's the engine oil level at now? Not touching the dipstick?

Gremlin with a sledge hammer, wanting out of the engine.
Sounds like you may need an engine?
Old 01-28-2016
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

A broken timing belt would result in bent valves. I know that from experience. After my timing belt shredded, car died and it just sounded like a dying groan (due to lack of compression), no banging noise. Furthermore, the timing belt is on the left side of the engine, covered by black plastic covers. If your backyard mechanic really wanted to check, all he'd have to do was pull the valve cover and 4 bolts holding the upper cover on. It would have been an easy inspection, taking no more than 10 minutes.

Another "quick" inspection that could be done would be to drain the oil and drop the oil pan so you can look at the crank and, depending on the angles you look at, the connecting rods.

Honestly sounds like a new engine, at the very least the block, is what you need.
Old 01-28-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Another "quick" inspection that could be done would be to drain the oil and drop the oil pan so you can look at the
....pile of metal in the bottom of the pan, that's enough.

Maybe you can find a huge oil leak and a hole punched through the block before you get the oil pan off. At that point you won't need to remove the oil pan to see anything else.
Old 01-28-2016
Administrator
Administrator

You and your logic.....
Old 01-28-2016

Sometimes I'm all about efficiency.