7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

01 EX Auto Transmission slip/flare?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ndnboy is an unknown quantity at this point
01 EX Auto Transmission slip/flare?

Oil and plugs changed with filters, brake and ATF to go.

Picked up 4 gts of ATF for swap. Don't think the video captures it well but at about 30mph, when it shifts, seems to lag/slip/flare.....can i get opinions if this is the start of the trans issues I've been reading up on. Anything I can do other than swap ATF to look for improvement, thx.

Def felt/saw the drop in RPMS more yesterday, went to video today and it doesn't seem as bad.....
Old 12-29-2015
Registered!!

Re: 01 EX Auto Transmission slip/flare?

Here's another vid, like I said earlier, don't see/feel like yesterday, engine was cooler as well I guess if that helps...
Old 12-30-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The RPM drop I would not worry about...
It kinda looks like you may have backed off the gas pedal a bit after the shift, and I could not really hear the engine after the shift either.
I really can't tell what happened there but it did not look alarming to me.

A flare is RPM rises between shifts, as in a late engagement of the next gear......when you expect it to make the shift to the next gear but the engine RPM goes high (briefly neutrals) before hitting the next gear, and I did not see that in the video.
Old 12-30-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
A flare is RPM rises between shifts, as in a late engagement of the next gear......when you expect it to make the shift to the next gear but the engine RPM goes high (briefly neutrals) before hitting the next gear, and I did not see that in the video.
The vid didnt capture what I heard the other day but your description above is what it sounded/looked like. I will try to capture again before the ATF swap, which I hope to do tomorrow. Dealer said it would take just over 3 qts, picked up a new washer too. (Ive seen a few sayin to do 2X, for total of 6 qts?)

Anything else to look for/do if it is a flare?

Thx
Old 12-30-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ndnboy
Dealer said it would take just over 3 qts,
You better stop pouring at 2.5 quarts and check it. 3 is probably too much.
Make sure you check fluid level with the engine OFF....within 90 seconds of turning it off.

And....make sure you have a funnel that will reach the dipstick hole before you drain the fluid out.
(Ive seen a few sayin to do 2X, for total of 6 qts?)
The trans holds around 7-9 quarts total depending on the model, so when you drain and fill you only replace a portion. New fluid is diluted into the old.
If service history is unknown I would D&F more than once (unless it's a lost cause).

Drain and fill, drive it or let the wheels spin in the air to circulate fluid and get the fluid all warmed up, then drain and fill again....repeat as much as you wish.

I've done up to 12 quarts when fluid is known to be incorrect or super dirty...if the owner is willing to pay for it.
I've done a case of fluid for shudder problems on much newer vehicles too.
Every used Honda I have purchased received the 12 quart deal as well.
All of the personal and family Hondas I take care of get ATF with every other oil change...or even more frequently.
Anything else to look for/do if it is a flare?
Another transmission?
Old 12-30-2015
Registered!!

Thx again, will pick up a few more qts of ATF.

Any opinion on adding Lucas Slip, read some have added that, or just swap with all ATF? Car has 110K on it....
Old 12-30-2015

Hondas ATF DW-1 only. No additives ---per Honda.

Others' opinions on fluids may differ.
Old 12-31-2015
Registered!!

This video shows the jump in RPMs, this is right after start up this morning, still cool....

Old 12-31-2015
Registered!!

This is after riding for a bit, warmed up, don't see the jump in RPMS as when cool, is that good or not difference in trans condition.....

Thx and Happy New Year
Old 12-31-2015

Post #8, yeah that looks like a flare.
Old 01-01-2016
Registered!!

No way of knowing how long b4 a flare becomes a complete failure I guess.....

Anything else that may help, I read about possibly cleaning solenoid screens may help? Any vids/diagrams to help find and DIY them?

Just got the car for my son, was hoping or a good couple of yrs to get him thru HS without major repairs.

Thx for the help
Old 01-01-2016

Some people seem to be able to drive for years with the flare, others don't.

I'd say to lift off the gas pedal at the time it's going to shift to minimize the load on the next gears clutch pack and hopefully extend its life.

As for fixing or putting a bandaid on it, try whatever you can find but don't hold your breath.
Old 02-19-2016
Registered!!

greenbackz is an unknown quantity at this point

2002 civic LX coupe

I've always used honda's ATF from the dealership never messed with other brands and probably change it more often than most people, but my car did exactly like the video in post #8. slight flare between 2nd and 3rd. started around 2 years ago (around 200,000KM), but it would only do it when cold. once the engine warmed up it was fine. I could easily avoid the flair by being very conservative on the throttle until the car reached operating temp.

starting the other day though (around 268,000KM), it now flares between 2nd and 3rd nearly every time even when engine is warmed up. I am able to prevent it if i'm easy on the gas, or let off a little bit when i know the shift is coming up soon.

If it was a gradual decline i wouldn't be so alarmed, however I can only assume that something major has changed internally and the transmission is likely going to fail soon given how it happened to suddenly.

What is most likely causing this flare? are there any cheap solutions to try n fix it before calling it a lost cause?

I was able to capture one of the more obvious ones on camera see video below. can't be good..

Last edited by greenbackz; 02-19-2016 at 04:18 AM.
Old 02-19-2016
Registered!!

My 01 has just under 111K, I will be happy to get another good 68K with the current flare issue, doesnt seem like theres a FIX for it, my son tries to let off, like suggested during shifts.......we will see.
Old 02-19-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Ndnboy
My 01 has just under 111K, I will be happy to get another good 68K with the current flare issue, doesnt seem like theres a FIX for it, my son tries to let off, like suggested during shifts.......we will see.
Does yours do it all the time or just when its cold? 111K miles? or km?
Old 02-19-2016
Registered!!

Its 111K miles, I dont drive it daily but he says its mostly when cold, seems to subside once its warmed up.
Old 02-19-2016
Registered!!

i wish mine only did it when cold like before..
Old 02-19-2016
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

Just my opinion and what I would do... Done it to mine and they are both fine at 100K and 120K but I was not having problem and just did it at 80K or so. Do the 12 quart switch out. Drive it easy. Change the inline filter going to the radiator cooler if yours has one (my 05 and 07 does) ..it has a bypass but anything to get oil moving may help if it's junk in internal filters and valves. Not a lot of miles, do you drive it hard like 95% of the people (including my 66 year old better half) do from red light to red light. Honda only oil and filter.
If it gets worst, around town car only. Think the flair and shudder mystery lubes at the auto store thin the ATF. Helps for a while.

Ezone, that flushing system in my service manual..any way to make that force oil in reverse thru the filter and drain it out the sump at the same time? The expert transmission guy on YouTube that show all the Honda transmissions show the rebuild internal filter at twice the size as the original.

My older long gone Civic that I follow the maintenance scheduled very close got a does of generic transmission fluid from Advance Auto brand since I had a case left from tying to find a leak in my 69 Firebird. It went to a perfect running car at 10K on that oil till on a trip, it flared so bad, I could not get it to up-shift trying to get on the interstate at that type of acceleration. Finally babied it and it got me home. The fluid was noticeable thicker then the new. It never missed a beat after new regular fluid. Wife never trusted it again and got the notion in her head cars go 100K and then they go to someone else.

Last edited by RIPSAW; 02-19-2016 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-19-2016

Ezone, that flushing system in my service manual
What system would that be?

..any way to make that force oil in reverse thru the filter and drain it out the sump at the same time?
I doubt it.
Old 02-20-2016
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

Looked at my Civic Factory service manual since I have it on the laptop and I guess it must be in my 05 CRV Factory service manual at home. Its from back when they recommended flushing. Shows hooking up to the cooler line and some other connection. Know someone has said not to use it but on a dieing transmission, who cares. If it's the internal filter and not just warn clutch part which nothing is going to fix
Old 02-20-2016

Looked at my Civic Factory service manual since I have it on the laptop and I guess it must be in my 05 CRV Factory service manual at home. Its from back when they recommended flushing.
The only method they approve for flushing is multiple drain-and-fills.

Sending you a PM.
Old 02-20-2016
Registered!!

so you think with the flaring as bad as mine the 12Qt. flush will help or has the damage already been done?
Old 02-20-2016

Originally Posted by greenbackz
so you think with the flaring as bad as mine the 12Qt. flush will help or has the damage already been done?
At work it would get an estimate for a trans replacement.

You can try whatever you want though.