7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2002 Weird A/C Issues -- No fans...but Green A/C Light?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Civility is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 Weird A/C Issues -- No fans...but Green A/C Light?

Hello --

I've got a 2002 Civic EX and the A/C won't run. Just bought it...and not having that much fun yet.

I thought the issue was the Fan Temp Switch near Thermostat, because neither fans seemed to ever run under the hood, but then I was looking at something else and the cooling fan did switch on....so probably not that switch.

When I JUMPERED the switch, BOTH fans do turn on, though...

When I put 12 V on both directly fans...they both operate.

So...

When I press A/C Switch, it lights up green, but NEITHER of the fans under the hood come on (except the cooling fan if called for.) and the A/C compressor does not seem to do anything at all.

I thought that when one turns on the A/C, both fans are supposed to come on immediately? Is this actually true?

The cooling fan does come on when called for, but otherwise, no under hood fans turn on when A/C switch is turned on and no A/C.

Any pro tips?

Thank you -

-Civility
Old 12-06-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2002 Weird A/C Issues -- No fans...but Green A/C Light?

If there is low system pressure or no freon in the system, the system is "locked out" by the PCM and it will not operate the system regardless of your switch input.

There are several other possible problem areas that will also stop the AC from working. HVAC control panel, MICU, PCM, TCO, lots of wiring, etc...

An understanding of how this particular system operates, careful observation and pointed diagnosis can lead to a correct conclusion.

HTH