7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

rough idle, stalling

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BBrosario is an unknown quantity at this point
rough idle, stalling

I just recently bought a 2001 Honda Civic EX m/t. From the beginning she's been giving me some issues. Within the first week of having it, the shift cable snapped on me. & It forced me to wait for payday to order a new part & then I waited another week to receive the part. But of course I still had to make it to and from work so my only option was to ride it in 3rd gear, which was not good on the clutch.... at all. So I ended up spending over 800 on labor and parts for a new clutch and shift cable. So of course we all know when you buy your own parts, mechanic shops don't give warranties on the labor. So the day I picked the car up from AAMCO, the car cuts off completely about five minutes down the road (no electricity, no nothing) so I hop out in the middle of traffic and start messing with the Negative battery cable & the car ends up starting and getting me home. When I finally made it to my house I saw that whoever worked on my car left the fuse box unattached and it was laying on the battery cables. You could see where wires were touching because they had begun to melt. So I reattached the fuse box and everything seemed to be well. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. I ended up losing a headlight (I replaced the bulb and it was fine) the tail lights went out, the dash board lights constantly went on and off, and the radio and A/C could stop working. Later on I figured out that if I wiggled the turn signal thing (lack of better words) it would make the tail lights, radio, and A/C start working. So I've temporarily figured out how to fix that issue. But the real issue is that when coming to a stop or decelerating at all the rpms drop all the way down to 0 for a quick minute, most of the time they'll jump back up but every once in a while the car will cut off. Last night something really strange happened, the rpms dropped when I came to a stop, the car cut and I went to turn it back on as usual, it turned back on but when I went to take off It acted as if it didn't want to accelerate. Apparently the previous owner disabled the check engine light and when I had it tested a code came up for the o2 sensor. I replaced the down stream and up stream sensor, but nothing's changed. please help
Old 10-22-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: rough idle, stalling

What sensors did you put in? Part number and brand?

Sounds like AAMCO did a number on the car! Don't they do transmissions? Maybe the car had pre existing issues when you purchased it.
Old 10-22-2015
Registered!!

BBrosario is an unknown quantity at this point

Yup! They're a transmission shop, I never use mechanic shops but I had to for the clutch because I lack the time & tools. So I started having all these issues after they touched it.
I bought the Bosch o2 sensor upstream & downstream I don't have the part numbers on me
Old 10-22-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

That makes sense, clutch would be up their alley. Having loose electrical connections can reek havoc on car computers and sensors.

Originally Posted by BBrosario
I bought the Bosch o2 sensor upstream & downstream I don't have the part numbers on me
Bosch stuff isn't all that great for Honda's. I have heard of people not having issues with them and others that could not get a code to go away until they got rid of the Bosch stuff. NTK or Denso is what you want. Not universal either the actual part (should be pricey).
Old 11-05-2015
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

the 01 was narrow band so the denso or NTK sensors shouldn't be more the $75 bucks the 04 05 is wideband so there closer to $250 dollars.
Old 11-05-2015
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

Originally Posted by lowlife9
the 01 was narrow band so the denso or NTK sensors shouldn't be more the $75 bucks the 04 05 is wideband so there closer to $250 dollars.
Check Denso and NTK website. Use model finder for O2 sensor to get PN. Then search that PN at Amazon. Mine is an LX but I got my upstream NTK for $24 with 2 day shipping free (prime member), and i went to the local Dangerzone and borrowed their special socket, changed in the parking lot.