7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Pros/cons of pulling a power steering rack from a junked car?

Old 10-03-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red_Chaos1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Pros/cons of pulling a power steering rack from a junked car?

So I made another run to the pick and pull, got a bunch more stuff to replace beat up/broken things on the car, and I noticed while damn near every car was missing its engine and such, the power steering racks were almost always still attached. I also saw a few radiators that to my untrained eyes looked decent, no bends or dents, etc. (my radiator leaks, leaves coolant drips marks all over the engine and fans, etc.). I figure I'm probably best off buying a new radiator given the fragile nature of them, plus if the old ones are OEM they'll probably have or develop the same leak, but it occurred to me I could probably save some scratch using a PS rack off one of these.

What I'd like to know is:
Is this something worth pursuing
If so, what do I need to be looking (out) for, and how much of the rack do I need to get? My rack is leaking from the inside edge of the driver side boot, as far as I can tell.

Of course the dealership said it's not something that can be repaired, it's a full replace and they'd love to charge me ~$1K to do it. I'm not having it unless it's the only way to go.

So yeah. Learn me up on this.
Old 10-04-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Pros/cons of pulling a power steering rack from a junked car?

Pros:
Cheap

Cons:
Could have a bad seal and leak
Don't know how long it will last
Could be a waste of time

Alternative:
Have you considered just removing the power steering all together?
Old 10-05-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
Pros:
Cheap
Always sounds good doesn't it?

Cons:
Could be a waste of time
On the first one, I'd think I'd be able to see a leak before I even pulled it, much like I can see it on the rack currently in the car. The other 2 points, can't argue with really.

Alternative:
Now why would I want to do that? I've driven a car without PS (learning both how to drive and how to drive *stick* in an ancient Toyota 4dr.), it's ridiculous.
Old 10-05-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Red_Chaos1
Now why would I want to do that?
Because it is cheap and increases steering feel which is a plus in my book. There is a DIY and the persons wife said it wasn't bad parking the car without ps. Just a thought.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...teering-2.html
Old 10-05-2015
Registered!!

Hrm. So not quite the same as good old rack and pinion manual steering where you crank 20 times just to make a turn, etc. Given that I'm not driving my car for pleasure, road feel and such isn't as big a deal (though I imagine there are arguments for road feel for any kind of driving, esp. wet/icy weather). Idk, definitely something to think about in the future.
Old 10-06-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OptimisticWay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GolNat
Pros:
Cheap

Cons:
Could be a waste of time

Alternative:
Or just remove the belt to the power steering pump. This is what I did and now I have big muscles now. Thanks shitty Honda design.

Put in an electric assist steering system.
Old 10-06-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

consider changing the caster angle to a lower setting - not sure how much adjustment is possible in a MacPherson style suspension, though (still have my PS, so can't comment on that.)

Lower angles will make it like a shopping cart, turn into a dime, so don't go crazy.
Old 10-06-2015
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by OptimisticWay
Or just remove the belt to the power steering pump. This is what I did and now I have big muscles now. Thanks shitty Honda design.

Put in an electric assist steering system.
Took my power steering out / installed a breather. Half the effort, than just removing the belt. Couldn't be happier. A little more time and money is involved, however.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PS Delete.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	313.8 KB
ID:	88178