7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

2003 Civic EX Vtec - speedometer and tach bouncing

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MamaBear2015 is an unknown quantity at this point
2003 Civic EX Vtec - speedometer and tach bouncing

This may have been the only car we could find in a hurry, when we needed to, but it sure has a few problems.

Lately, the speedometer and tach needles have started bouncing up and down occasionally. I'll be doing 40 and suddenly the speedometer starts bouncing all over the place, like up to 80 MPH and down again. Then it goes back to working fine.
Old 09-14-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
emich is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2003 Civic EX Vtec - speedometer and tach bouncing

Originally Posted by MamaBear2015
This may have been the only car we could find in a hurry, when we needed to, but it sure has a few problems.

Lately, the speedometer and tach needles have started bouncing up and down occasionally. I'll be doing 40 and suddenly the speedometer starts bouncing all over the place, like up to 80 MPH and down again. Then it goes back to working fine.
Run instrument cluster diagnostic procedure With the car off and the keys in the ignition, 1. Push and hold the trip-reset button 2. Turn the lighting switch on 3. Turn the ignition switch on within 5 seconds 4. Turn the lighting switch off, then on, then off again. 5. Within 5 seconds, release the trip/reset button, then push and release it 4 times repeatedly. This will run a self-contained diagnostic procedure that will sweep all the gauges from stop to stop. They should stop at 0 at the end of the cycle. To repeat, simply press the rest button again. It will stay in this mode until you turn off the ignition. This procedure is very useful for checking for burnt bulbs (as all bulbs flash in a steady rythym) and checking needle operation, as all needles slowly sweep through their full arcs. I also use it when reinstalling needles in the cluster, as the cluster returns the posts to electronic zero, then it's a simple matter of putting the needles at zero and carefully pushing them on.
Old 09-14-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

See if someone forgot to fully tighten the alternator bolts.
Old 09-14-2015
Registered!!

I have some other checking to do on this car, too. When I flip the high beams on, the headlights go out. Not sure if the high beam filaments are burned out, but I'm gonna replace them with brighter ones anyway, and will see. Just gotta get past all the obstructions. I have a video.
Old 09-14-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

When I flip the high beams on, the headlights go out.
Aww jeez. You STILL haven't fixed this yet?
Old 09-14-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Aww jeez. You STILL haven't fixed this yet?
Nope. Super busy - running a home based business and taking care of a handicapped sister, injured in a car accident. Plus, I had to wait for the new super bright bulbs to come from Amazon.

Plus, I tend to avoid things a little, that I haven't done before. Then I do them and realize how easy they were.
Old 09-15-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OptimisticWay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MamaBear2015
Nope. Super busy - running a home based business and taking care of a handicapped sister, injured in a car accident. Plus, I had to wait for the new super bright bulbs to come from Amazon.

Plus, I tend to avoid things a little, that I haven't done before. Then I do them and realize how easy they were.
Those are pretty damn good excuses. When I don't do something it's because I lost interest in it or I am just plain lazy.