7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Is an oil pan gasket THAT hard to replace?

Old 09-12-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MamaBear2015 is an unknown quantity at this point
Is an oil pan gasket THAT hard to replace?

We're in the Denver area. Is an oil pan gasket THAT hard to replace, that it would cost this much?

Old 09-12-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is an oil pan gasket THAT hard to replace?

==========================
Clean battery terminals, FREE DIY if you have a wire brush (you can buy a battery terminal brush for like $2-5).
Google it, and I'm sure everyone has some baking soda laying around the kitchen. Even I have a box somewhere around here LOL
====================

Ball joint boot can be replaced by itself IF the joint is still good. HOWEVER, there are caveats that would cause one to instead replace the ball joint:
If there is any play in the joint, it needs the whole joint.
If the tech even suspects the joint may go bad soon due to dirt and water entry and loss of grease, he had better cover his *** and recommend replacing the ball joint.
IF the car has high mileage, it's gonna get a ball joint just because of age and mileage.

On top of that, it may end up needing knuckle(s) if a new joint does not fit tight enough. Honda released a service bulletin addressing this issue.

================

Oil pan reseal, price might be reasonable. IMO

BUT just how bad is the leak?
Does it leak faster than you can pour oil into it? $220.45 can buy a lot of oil.

==================

Cam plug, price is not reasonable unless the engine is equipped with an EGR valve.
If there is no EGR valve in the way, it's a $10 and 10 minute replacement DIY.
If there's an EGR valve, it becomes a huge PITA.
Old 09-12-2015
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

Originally Posted by ezone

Does it leak faster than you can pour oil into it? $220.45 can buy a lot of oil.
Great point! Is leaking enough to be replaced?

My oil pan gasket seeps. Between oil changes (i do my own) it leaves a nice protective sheen of liquid gold on the pan. The nuts and bolts are tight and I just wipe it off with a rag.

My engine doesn't burn oil and no drips in my driveway. The dipstick still shows full after 6 months/5k miles.

So if the time comes when I am doing something major & need to drop the pan, it will get the gasket replaced. Until then, I'm leaving it alone.
Old 09-12-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

dx/lx oil pan is a physical gasket. Jack up the car, drain oil, remove bolts on oil pan, drop oil pan, clean surfaces, replace gasket, reinstall stuff, torque to spec. I'm a stickler for proper torque.

ex oil pan is an RTV gasket. Same process, just "draw" the gasket on with the tube of RTV, reinstall pan, torque to spec.

$221 for an oil pan gasket? It's a few steps past an oil change, with an extra part (or materials) involved.
Old 09-12-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
$221 for an oil pan gasket? It's a few steps past an oil change, with an extra part (or materials) involved.
Labor rate multiplier is almost 2, plus the exhaust is in the way, plus materials and an oil change for good measure. I can see the price as reasonable, and in my dealers shop it would be higher than her estimate.
Old 09-12-2015
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I can see your point. Can't you technically squeeze it out of the way and keep the exhaust system in tact?
Old 09-12-2015

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
I can see your point. Can't you technically squeeze it out of the way and keep the exhaust system in tact?
No, the pan has to more or less come straight down further than the exhaust will allow.

The pan and pipe can't be bent or folded very easily LOL
Old 09-12-2015
Registered!!

Interesting, thanks guys. I guess that I forgot to mention that this is a Vtec engine and the EX model, but don't know if it makes any difference.
Old 09-12-2015

EX would have an EGR valve which would make replacing the cam plug a PITA, but IMO that doesn't make it worth $200+ by any means.

The rest of the work would be about the same.
Old 09-12-2015
Registered!!

EX would have an EGR valve which would make replacing the cam plug a PITA, but IMO that doesn't make it worth $200+ by any means.

The rest of the work would be about the same.
Thanks Ezone. Well I'll happily do the battery terminal myself now, and save a few bucks. Understand the baking soda thing - had high school chemistry in 1966. ;-)

Will check the oil level. We've had the car for about 700 miles now. They try to panic us sometimes, especially with us women, so "if it works, don't fix it".

I'm also wondering about that "loose tie rod". Cant it just be tightened? They didn't say "bent".
Old 09-12-2015

Originally Posted by MamaBear2015
I'm also wondering about that "loose tie rod". Cant it just be tightened? They didn't say "bent".
No, it can't be 'tightened' if the problem is wear.
You'd need to jack up the front end and give it a shakedown to see where the looseness is, and more inspection to see which exact part has the excessive free play.

The normal failure is wear (and thus free play or looseness) of the ball-and-socket in the joint, in the steering system on that car I'd expect it would usually be the outer tie rod end, although any of the parts can develop wear issues.

ball-and-socket applies to tie rod ends and ball joints, and on these cars the swaybar links use the same type of joints. They have to be able to move in all directions to accommodate suspension and steering movements.
So do hips and shoulders LOL

Similar:
Old 09-12-2015
Administrator
Administrator

No, the pan has to more or less come straight down further than the exhaust will allow.

The pan and pipe can't be bent or folded very easily LOL
Lol, I knew that much. I just forgot how long the 4 studs that hold the pan down are
Old 09-13-2015
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

You could do the oil pan your self pretty easy, especially so if you already have the tools for an oil change.

basically

jack up car
drain oil
disconnect exhaust
unbolt pan
replace gasket
re-install pan
re-install exhaust
remove oil filter
replace oil filter
add oil
drop car
test filter

there's also some stuff not listed above like removing the skid plates and some mounts that attach to the oil pan, which are pretty easy.
Old 09-13-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mac25
You could do the oil pan your self pretty easy, especially so if you already have the tools for an oil change.

basically

jack up car
drain oil
disconnect exhaust
unbolt pan
replace gasket
re-install pan
re-install exhaust
remove oil filter
replace oil filter
add oil
drop car
test filter

there's also some stuff not listed above like removing the skid plates and some mounts that attach to the oil pan, which are pretty easy.
I'm 66 and haven't done more than just simple top stuff, like change the plugs, air filter...
Old 09-15-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OptimisticWay is an unknown quantity at this point

Cam plug, price is not reasonable unless the engine is equipped with an EGR valve.
After reading the battery terminals and then this, yeah they are charging you way too much. If you don't have any mechanical ability, now is the time to pick up some or buy another car.
Old 09-15-2015
Registered!!

Clean battery terminals, FREE DIY if you have a wire brush (you can buy a battery terminal brush for like $2-5).
Google it, and I'm sure everyone has some baking soda laying around the kitchen. Even I have a box somewhere around here LOL
====================

Ball joint boot can be replaced by itself IF the joint is still good. HOWEVER, there are caveats that would cause one to instead replace the ball joint:
If there is any play in the joint, it needs the whole joint.
If the tech even suspects the joint may go bad soon due to dirt and water entry and loss of grease, he had better cover his *** and recommend replacing the ball joint.
IF the car has high mileage, it's gonna get a ball joint just because of age and mileage.

On top of that, it may end up needing knuckle(s) if a new joint does not fit tight enough. Honda released a service bulletin addressing this issue.

================

==================

Thanks Ezone. Well I'll happily do the battery terminal myself now, and save a few bucks. Understand the baking soda thing - had high school chemistry in 1966. ;-)

Will check the oil level. We've had the car for about 700 miles now. They try to panic us sometimes, especially with us women, so "if it works, don't fix it".

Make sure you have a crush washer on your oil pan drain plug. My 2005 EX SE did not and it was dropping fluid all over town. 40 cents for a crush washer.
Old 09-15-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by OptimisticWay
Make sure you have a crush washer on your oil pan drain plug. My 2005 EX SE did not and it was dropping fluid all over town. 40 cents for a crush washer.
Oh, boy, makes me remember the other famous one - two oil filter seals...
Old 09-15-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
Oh, boy, makes me remember the other famous one - two oil filter seals...
Just for clarification, I bought it that way. It was one of many things that needed attention on the vehicle.
Old 09-15-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Just for clarification, I bought it that way. It was one of many things that needed attention on the vehicle.
Hahaha, yes, we got that from the first one, your post just reminded me of the common greenhorn mistakes
Old 09-15-2015
Registered!!

After reading the battery terminals and then this, yeah they are charging you way too much. If you don't have any mechanical ability, now is the time to pick up some or buy another car.
There must be a happy medium here. Like find a good mechanic that won't charge double?
Old 09-18-2015
Registered!!

There must be a happy medium here. Like find a good mechanic that won't charge double?
Good luck with that. Best case scenario, 25% Off Stealership prices with no tax for a good home mechanic.
Old 09-18-2015
Registered!!

Good luck with that. Best case scenario, 25% Off Stealership prices with no tax for a good home mechanic.
Well what are the choices? I don't have a rack here, just a driveway. I'm not a mechanic - have no training and few tools. And I'm female, so not super strong or anything.

Jeez, if I wasn't 66 and had it to do over, I'd love to learn the mechanic's trade. And it would come in as a handy skill if the global economy hits the fan, the money is no good and all we have is trade.
Old 09-18-2015

And I'm female
Quit using that as a handicap.

/peeve

Plenty of men can't either.
Old 09-18-2015
Registered!!

Quit using that as a handicap.

/peeve

Plenty of men can't either.
You're right, thank you!

AND I'm a former Electronics Research & Development Technician with an ASEET ( Associate in Science in Electronics Engineering Technology ), so I have natural technical skills.

And I don't like to use age as an excuse either. I'm 66 and am still doing martial arts, in fact I beat 5 other women ( over 40 division - green through brown belts ) in the spring tournament, in sparring.
Old 09-18-2015
Administrator
Administrator

Sounds like you gotta get up in there and perform DIY repairs. lol
Old 09-19-2015
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

I'm not a mechanic - have no training and few tools. And I'm female, so not super strong or anything.
Everyone has to start somewhere. First you just have to believe that you can do it. If you know you can't, you won't.
Nobody is super strong, and if they are, they don't fit in the tight places the engineers created. You just need the right tools and some creative thought.

if the global economy hits the fan
Let me know when that happens. The economy is great, isn't it?
Old 09-19-2015

Nobody is super strong
God invented the lever and decided a man could move the Earth with it.
Later on, Archimedes stole the idea.
Old 09-22-2015
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

imo, and I know it's a dick move to say but

If you are not willing to take the hours and hours of time to study how to fix your own vehicle, or invest in the right tools, or bust up your hands working in tight spaces, or take the time out of your day to actually complete the task...

then you have no right to think the price of an automotive service is too high because you have no idea what is involved.

cars are a fuc-in bitch to work on, if it was easy and didn't take multiple years of studying then everyone would work on their own car; and if it's not your baby then hell ya a mechanic should charge high.

just remember if you do find cheap service it is cheap for a reason.