7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Looking to buy a car in Denver. Experience Today.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MamaBear2015 is an unknown quantity at this point
Looking to buy a car in Denver. Experience Today.

We go to see a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid today, at a used car lot on Colfax ( probably the first mistake ). So before going, I asked the guy if the battery had been changed. The car has 150k miles.

I saw a LATE model hybrid advertised on Craig's List awhile back, for about $2500 - a car that should have sold for $8000? But the battery was bad and a new one costs something like $7000! And they apparently only last that many miles.

So this guy replies "yes". I also asked if he had receipts for the last timing belt change, and he didn't know ( bad sign ). But we figured we'd look anyway.

So we go to test drive it and they have to bring a charger over to get it started! Then the AC isn't working at all ( I'm guessing it gets shut down when the battery is too low? ). AND I'm driving it a couple of blocks and the steering is almost impossible - the power steering is out too! ( part of the battery problem? Who knows? )

So the guy is claiming that they'll put it in writing, all nice and legal, that they will fix everything, AFTER we buy it! Right! ( Jennifer's father used to be a car salesman - SHE knows better and has heard of all the tricks! ).

So we said "bye" to the guy and ran - didn't just walk out of there!
Old 09-07-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Looking to buy a car in Denver. Experience Today.

probably the first mistake
LOL
I asked the guy if the battery had been changed
Of course it's been changed, because that's what he wants you to hear!

Actually, look for a white triangle (or rectangle) shaped sticker (similar to this one below) near the latch striker loop in the drivers door jamb.

This sticker (may not have the same code) comes with Honda replacement IMA battery.
There is no door jamb sticker if the battery is original.

Sufficient neglect can ruin an IMA battery without a bunch of miles on it too.
But the battery was bad and a new one costs something like $7000
That guess is a bit high.

I can picture the whole car with all its problems needing $7000 thrown at it though.

I also asked if he had receipts for the last timing belt change, and he didn't know ( bad sign ).
That means both you and the seller don't actually know much about that car.
There is no timing belt on those Hybrids.

So we go to test drive it and they have to bring a charger over to get it started! Then the AC isn't working at all ( I'm guessing it gets shut down when the battery is too low? ). AND I'm driving it a couple of blocks and the steering is almost impossible - the power steering is out too! ( part of the battery problem? Who knows? )
Sounds like a creampuff!

So the guy is claiming that they'll put it in writing, all nice and legal, that they will fix everything,
They can't fix it themselves.
So we said "bye" to the guy and ran - didn't just walk out of there!
Good!

Last edited by ezone; 10-07-2015 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-07-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MamaBear2015 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Looking to buy a car in Denver. Experience Today.

Oh, I didn't know there was no timing belt on these. Interesting.

But yeah, it must have been a real gem. They always look so nice in the photos, and then we test drive them....