7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

wheel lug stud

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
siliconvalley is an unknown quantity at this point
wheel lug stud

Hi Everyone! I went to wally to have 2 new front tires. The technician managed to break 1 of the front wheel lug stud and told me he couldn't do anything about it. I saw Ezone's suggestion to grind the stub and install it. Does it work for my 2004 EX? He seems to say that sometimes you have to take the hub off and send it to a shop. I have no idea where I can find a shop nearby in case I can't install the stud after I grind it. Thanks.
Old 09-03-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: wheel lug stud

Each situation is different, you have to see what there is to work with and deal with whatever there is. Sometimes no modification is needed if there is room to get it in.

But really
You should be having 'wally' fix what their installer messed up if it is their fault. Managers usually bend over backwards to make it right. If they can't handle it, they send it to a real shop that can handle it and cover the expense.
Old 09-03-2015
Registered!!

Thanks, Ezone. I plan to take the wheel off this weekend or the next and report back.

I did think about talking with the manager but then I thought if he got fired he would be so pissed off at me if he has kids to feed. I didn't even tell the desk lady about the broken stud. I still have the lug nut with the broken stud inside.
Old 09-03-2015
Registered!!

i read some posts that i could get a few hundred $$ bill for the broken stud because i might need a new bearing. here in CA not easy to find an "affordable" garage.
Old 09-03-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I did think about talking with the manager but then I thought if he got fired he would be so pissed off at me if he has kids to feed.

This crap is not your concern.

Their employee caused damage to your car, according to your post.
Therefore, they owe you a fixed, safe car.

Just think if your kids and family were injured or worse because the wheel came off, because their employee let your car roll out with "less then the correct amount of lug nuts" holding the wheel on?

If you crash and burn, and your car is missing lug nut(s), guess who gets the unsafe vehicle citation.....
Old 09-04-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by siliconvalley
I went to wally to have 2 new front tires. The technician managed to break 1 of the front wheel lug stud and told me he couldn't do anything about it.

yup....that definitely sounds like 'wally' work to me
Old 09-05-2015
Registered!!

Update:

I took off the wheel today but stuck on the 2 17mm bolts behind the caliper. I have a 24" 1/2" drive wrench and a 1/2" drive 17mm socket but that 2 bolts won't turn. There is not enough space there. I guess it would be a lot easier if it was on a lift. I am thinking maybe i have to send it to my mechanic.
Old 09-05-2015
Registered!!

If i could take that 2 17mm bolts off, maybe i could grind the disk with a rotary tool instead of grinding the stud?
Old 09-06-2015
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

why not just take it back and have the person who destroyed it, fix it?
Old 09-08-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mikey1
why not just take it back and have the person who destroyed it, fix it?
No, I don't plan to ask them to "fix" it. They just create more problems and i have no more trust on them. Didn't they say: "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me". I might ask the manager to reimburse my cost of fixing it if i take it to my mechanic. But I think it should be doable. I turned the wheel all the way to the left, now i have enough space to loose the 2 17mm bolts. Another minor issue is the rotor screws. But i plan to punch it out or use my drillout so I don't think it's a big deal.
Old 09-09-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by siliconvalley
Another minor issue is the rotor screws. But i plan to punch it out or use my drillout so I don't think it's a big deal.
use an impact driver
Old 09-09-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mikey1
use an impact driver
Good point. Thank you. one more item on the list of tools to buy
Old 09-15-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post