7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

2002 Civic - combination switch recall?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MamaBear2015 is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 Civic - combination switch recall?

Just emailed Planet Honda in Denver area, about this:

I just bought a 2002 Civic and called your service department about a combination switch recall ( switching the high beams on SHUTS OFF the headlights at night! ) I was told "no recall" BUT am seeing mention of a combination switch recall on the web! This is an EXTREME SAFETY HAZARD and should be done as a recall ASAP!

Does anyone know if this is an actual recall or just an extreme safety hazard? ( Same thing, IMO! )
Old 09-01-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: 2002 Civic - combination switch recall?

i received a letter on that. Have not done it yet...

Ah, 2002 is a 7th gen civic, you posted on the 6th gen section, so i will be moving it to the right section.
Old 09-01-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
i received a letter on that. Have not done it yet...

Ah, 2002 is a 7th gen civic, you posted on the 6th gen section, so i will be moving it to the right section.
Thanks. About 14 minutes after emailing them about this, I got a call and the woman said they will look into it, that there IS some kind of recall on the combination switch, but perhaps not for this issue. I told her that I cant imagine more of a safety issue than turning off the headlights when I turn on the high beams.
Old 09-01-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

fire, if i remember, due to humidity? Mine does not heat, so...

it might be here? One of the stickies...

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...dress-etc.html
Old 09-01-2015
Registered!!

Not that I can see.
Old 09-01-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The dealer cannot do anything about what is or isn't under a recall.

We check the VIN of the car, receive a status report with a list of recalls that have or have not been completed.

Has the recall been completed on your car?

As stated in another reply, the recall only pertains to the LOW beam lights.

If you have a different problem that is not addressed by this recall, then the problem is yours and you own it.

You may file a report with the NHTSA if you wish to report it.
http://www.nhtsa.gov/Vehicle+Safety/Recalls+&+Defects

I know there's a place in the site to check for recalls using your VIN, and there should be a place to report safety problems if you look.

The HONDA website also has a place you can enter your VIN to check for recalls that need completed.

Has anyone checked the headlight bulbs?
Has anyone figured out what the problem with your car actually is?
Old 09-01-2015
Registered!!

Sounds like we're screwed. There's so much wrong with this car and we bought it without a mechanic, because used cars of those years ( that we can afford ) are almost impossible to find now, due to Denver's insane expanding population.
Old 09-01-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

I registered on the honda owners website, so they will know where to find me. It should also give you what is listed as recalls not done on the site based on your vin.

i have not done that, nor the airbag one still either... :P
Old 09-01-2015
Registered!!

How good are the 2004-2005 Civics? Do they have these kinds of problems? Transmissions?
Old 09-01-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by MamaBear2015
How good are the 2004-2005 Civics? Do they have these kinds of problems? Transmissions?
You just freaking out for nothing... it's 10+ old cars, they require maintenance as any other car. Possibly much less than other brands...
Old 09-01-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
You just freaking out for nothing... it's 10+ old cars, they require maintenance as any other car. Possibly much less than other brands...
Thanks dear, but we just bought a 2002 with only 130k miles that probably needs $2000 in work now, on top of the $4200 we paid. Yeah, I'm freaking out.

We were on the spot badly. Denver's population is exploding. We were in an accident in July and the insurance rental was running out, with few cars to buy. So we had to take this 2002 unseen by our mechanic, or pay $400 a month in rental car fees ourselves. Big mistake. But it does have a Vtec that's kinda nice.
Old 09-01-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like we're screwed. There's so much wrong with this car and we bought it without a mechanic,
Think of this as an expensive lesson.

Better than 01-02, but IMO they still have their own sets of issues too. Head gasket anyone?

EVERY used car for sale is being sold for a reason.
Most people don't just get rid of perfectly good cars (but some do).
Old 09-01-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Think of this as an expensive lesson.

Better than 01-02, but IMO they still have their own sets of issues too. Head gasket anyone?

EVERY used car for sale is being sold for a reason.
Most people don't just get rid of perfectly good cars (but some do).
Hard to see what the lesson is. We've been between a rock and a hard place in so many ways, from Denver's population explosion this past 2 years.
Old 09-02-2015
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

...sorry but are you asking if the headlights should remain on, when you turn the high beams on?

Many cars switch from headlights to high beams, few keep both on.

I could be wrong but I do believe this is intended in the design of the 01-05 civic.
Old 09-02-2015
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=MamaBear2015;4692275

( switching the high beams on SHUTS OFF the headlights at night! [/QUOTE]

Have you checked if both high beam filaments are still intact ??

Originally Posted by mac25
...sorry but are you asking if the headlights should remain on, when you turn the high beams on?

Many cars switch from headlights to high beams, few keep both on.

I could be wrong but I do believe this is intended in the design of the 01-05 civic.
01-03 Yes, 04-05 is 2 separate bulbs.
Old 09-02-2015

Originally Posted by mac25
Pretty sure she means there is no lighting at all.

And maybe freaking out about the situation without bothering to figure out the actual problem.
Old 09-02-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
Have you checked if both high beam filaments are still intact ??

No, actually. I will. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2015
Registered!!

Pretty sure she means there is no lighting at all.

And maybe freaking out about the situation without bothering to figure out the actual problem.
I mean that when I'm driving at night with the headlights on, and I either flip the momentary high beam switch back, or push it forwards to turn the high beams full on, ALL the lights can go out. They don't always do it but about 80% of the time! THAT is REALLY scary.
Old 09-02-2015
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Try moving the stalk around slightly when in high beam, and look for flickering, off/on or any changes while doing so.

If not take the column covers off and move the harness/connector near the switch while in high beams, and watch close for changes.
Old 09-02-2015
Registered!!

Try moving the stalk around slightly when in high beam, and look for flickering, off/on or any changes while doing so.
You mean, the switch handle?

If not take the column covers off and move the harness/connector near the switch while in high beams, and watch close for changes.
I found one video on changing the switch and it looked like I would have to remove the whole steering wheel first? I'm not a mechanic but I am a former electronics tech and can handle basic tools. Just no experience with this particular thing.
Old 09-02-2015

You mean, the switch handle?
Correct.
it looked like I would have to remove the whole steering wheel first?
No. Pop the covers off of the column (top cover pops loose, the bottom cover is held on with screws from the bottom) and you'll probably find the switch is only held in with a couple small screws.

You do not need to remove the switch to access the wiring plug, its stuck in the forward side of the switch. I can do all my testing using paper clips as my test probes, without taking the switch out and usually without unplugging the switch.

You DO need to unplug the switch connector and look for evidence of terminal overheating.
I'm not a mechanic but I am a former electronics tech and can handle basic tools. Just no experience with this particular thing.
Then you should understand reading a wiring diagram and tracing circuits, finding wire colors, and using basic electrical tools like a test light or a voltmeter.

Most electrical problems can be traced to mechanical and physical causes. (that does not necessarily apply to electronics though)

Now you need a good set of diagrams.
Old 09-02-2015
Registered!!

Thanks Ezone.

For right now, I contacted Honda and they're checking my VIN and seeing if they can work it into a recall. I explained the danger of this, and they're not likely looking for more lawsuits, so I'm guessing if it fits a recall, we can get them to take care of it SOON.
Old 09-02-2015
Registered!!

Just got this back from the local Honda dealership:

I looked up your crv’s open recalls and that old recall for that issue has already been done. That being said we need to look at the repair that was done and see if it was done incorrectly.
However there are 2 open recalls for your airbags we also need to get done.

When would work for you to bring the vehicle in and leave it with me for 4-5 hours for us to get the airbags completed and to look into the headlight issue?

I replied:

Yeah, I mean if the switch unit was replaced, you'd think the new one would have lasted?

Strange, huh? Will work with them and see what this is...
Old 09-02-2015

Just got this back from the local Honda dealership:

I looked up your crv’s open recalls and that old recall for that issue has already been done. That being said we need to look at the repair that was done and see if it was done incorrectly.
Odd they would call it a CRV, but oh well.
We see a ton of different cars in a day, they do become a blur sometimes.

At least they are willing to check into it further, that's great.

If the problem is caused by a recalled part or poor workmanship done during the recall and they cover it for you, that's great.

At the same time, it would not surprise me if they find the problem completely unrelated to the recall work, not telling you the answer unless you pay the standard checkout fees.

Cross your fingers.
Old 09-02-2015
Registered!!

Odd they would call it a CRV, but oh well.
We see a ton of different cars in a day, they do become a blur sometimes.
That's what I thought when I saw that. I've been having days like that, myself, lately.

At least they are willing to check into it further, that's great.
Yeah, if they replaced it and it's doing something dangerous now?

If the problem is caused by a recalled part or poor workmanship done during the recall and they cover it for you, that's great.

At the same time, it would not surprise me if they find the problem completely unrelated to the recall work, not telling you the answer unless you pay the standard checkout fees.

Cross your fingers.
Yes, thanks.
Old 09-03-2015
Registered!!

Just a side question here. The low beams are pretty dim in this car, maybe the original bulbs - not sure. Are high and low beams all in the same bulb in this car?

I know for the 98 Civic we used to have, they had super bright headlight bulbs that you could pay more for, too.

Will someone like AutoZone change them for me too?

But I was just looking at the ones on their site, and the ratings are pretty bad on most.
Old 09-03-2015

Look at your headlight lenses.
Are they crystal clear?
Or are they yellowed and cloudy?
Old 09-03-2015

Are high and low beams all in the same bulb in this car?
*ahem*
Old 09-03-2015
Registered!!

Look at your headlight lenses.
Are they crystal clear?
Or are they yellowed and cloudy?
A little yellowed, though I polished them with some lens polish.
Old 09-04-2015
Registered!!

One possibility that just occurred to me. IF the low beams were in series with the high beams when the high beams get turned on, AND the high beams were both burned out, this would account for the loss of headlights when the high beams are turned on.

I need to check this.

Quick Reply: 2002 Civic - combination switch recall?