7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

How to Sell a Non-running 2003 Civic

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wingsfan19 is an unknown quantity at this point
How to Sell a Non-running 2003 Civic

Okay, guys (and ladies), here's my problem. My son's 2003 Civic LX Coupe has a bad head gasket and possible engine damage (starts but has a flashing check engine light). The car has 187,000 miles on it so spending money to replace the head gasket is out of the question, especially since we don't know if the head is self is still good.

The exterior is in decent shape, a few minor scratches but the paint still looks good.

The carpet is a bit worn.

The big dilemma here is that my son has put a lot of money into the car:

1) New coil overs and headlights just this year
2) 15" alloys
3) Amp and subwoofer
4) Aftermarket digital entertainment system
5) We just had the timing belt, thermostat and radiator replaced only to find out later about the head gasket:-(

So my question is how can we sell this car for more than what the dealer or junk yard is offering? The amp and subwoofer by themselves are worth more! But although we can remove that, we can't really sell the coil overs, wheels, etc. separately.

Any suggestiosn?

Thanks
Old 08-29-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: How to Sell a Non-running 2003 Civic

it doesn't matter how much time and money you put into a car, you will never get it back, if you have items of value like rims or a stereo system then remove them before you sell it, they will not increase the value, so might as well keep them,

be honest with the buyer, you don't want enemies or somebody throwing a brick through you window,

i don't know how much you are looking for but from what you have described i wouldn't give you more then $500 bucks or it
Old 08-29-2015
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

Place an ad on Craigslist. Include pictures of the car and tell buyers it needs a headgasket.
Ask a reasonable price.

Browse CL and you'll see wrecked cars and other mechanics specials. Its going to be hard to sell, but worth a shot.

I don't think 187k on the motor means this car is not worth a headgasket job.... If its been maintained. But personally if I was going to buy this car I'd be looking to see that a HG is all it needs.
Old 08-29-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I'don't strip it down and sell individual parts. Takes longer, but you can potentially get more money that way
Old 08-29-2015
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
I'don't strip it down and sell individual parts. Takes longer, but you can potentially get more money that way
I'don't understand why I'm confused.
Old 08-29-2015
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

You can pretty much name your price for whatever you wanna sell. Ask a little high, let people talk you down to what you really expected to sell [insert part here] for and let them think they're getting a good deal out of you. Can seem like kind of an ******* move, but it's a reality of how to move crap you wanna sell.

On top of the aftermarket parts you can ask a semi-high price for, there's a lot of OEM components people will pay for. If the headlights are in decent condition, you can easily net $100 for them, more if they're pristine. Tail lights are the same. The engine, since it needs a HG, you can pull it and sell for a few hundred bucks.

Basically, you can nickle and dime it all, and it can eventually yield you more money than selling as a whole. Downside is you have to put in the time and labor to 1) strip it all down and 2) find buyers for the stuff.
Old 08-29-2015
Registered!!

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

1) IF I knew the only problem was the head gasket I would probably have it done, but as I said there is probably some internal engine problems and we don't know if the head itself is good

2) I thought maybe it might have some value as a project car -- you know an Si engine swap or something similar where we could at least get more than what the dealer or junk yard is offering. Certainly not expecting to get anywhere near the value of the parts my son has purchased.

3) I guess we'll wind up parting it out, but there is no way I have the time/energy to remove the coil overs and then replace them with original parts from the junkyard. Might try it with the wheels and tires, though.

4) So anyone who is looking for 2003 Civic LX Coupe parts just let me know and also I'll get the particulars on the aftermarket parts from my son
Old 08-29-2015
Registered!!

Absolutely will be honest with the buyer -- as they say, you can only sell your integrity once.
Old 08-30-2015
Registered!!

You can pretty much name your price for whatever you wanna sell. Ask a little high, let people talk you down to what you really expected to sell [insert part here] for and let them think they're getting a good deal out of you. Can seem like kind of an ******* move, but it's a reality of how to move crap you wanna sell.

On top of the aftermarket parts you can ask a semi-high price for, there's a lot of OEM components people will pay for. If the headlights are in decent condition, you can easily net $100 for them, more if they're pristine. Tail lights are the same. The engine, since it needs a HG, you can pull it and sell for a few hundred bucks.

Basically, you can nickle and dime it all, and it can eventually yield you more money than selling as a whole. Downside is you have to put in the time and labor to 1) strip it all down and 2) find buyers for the stuff.
So, seeing as how you live nearby, wanna buy a non-running Civic or parts?
Old 08-30-2015
Administrator
Administrator

I completely overlooked your location when I posted. Lol. I'd probably be interested in parts if I had money, but gf just had surgery and has been on sick leave from her job for about a month now. That said, I've kinda cut myself off as far as toys and play things goes :/

Just out of curiosity, where abouts in North town you in? I'm north west, centennial hills area
Old 08-30-2015
Registered!!

Strycker is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't understand why you wouldn't have someone check it out mechanically before worrying about parting it out or selling it as a parts car. A competent mechanic should be able to tell you if it's something as small as the head gasket or a large issue just from looking at it.
Old 08-31-2015
Registered!!

I completely overlooked your location when I posted. Lol. I'd probably be interested in parts if I had money, but gf just had surgery and has been on sick leave from her job for about a month now. That said, I've kinda cut myself off as far as toys and play things goes :/

Just out of curiosity, where abouts in North town you in? I'm north west, centennial hills area
I'm near Ann and Revere. And no, you didn't overlook my location because I didn't have it in my profile when I first posted.
Old 08-31-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Strycker
I don't understand why you wouldn't have someone check it out mechanically before worrying about parting it out or selling it as a parts car. A competent mechanic should be able to tell you if it's something as small as the head gasket or a large issue just from looking at it.
It has been checked out and we were quoted $1100 to replace the head gasket. The main concern is that we don't know if the head itself needs to be replaced, but that's another $600 or so at least and I don't see spending another almost $2000 on a 12 year old car with 187,000 miles on it.

Plus, and you all are gonna love this one, but I was doing a compression test with the loaner from Autozone to get an idea of how bad the problem was, and somehow the extension got stuck in the freakin' spark plug hole. I had to get a 7 inch 14mm bolt and use red Threadlocker to get it out (after removing the valve cover), but when I put everything back together the engine starts, but sputters, stalls, the CEL is flashing. I'm afraid debris may have gotten into the cylinder.

I thought about pulling the head myself, but again, I don't know what else is wrong. I think we're looking at an engine rebuild or replacement and my son and I don't have the expertise, equipment or time for that. Plus, the registration is due in October and I'm paying insurance every month on a non-running car (I do have it listed as a storage vehicle, though).
Old 08-31-2015
Administrator
Administrator

Since it's not running, surrender the plates to the DMV and get it registered if/when it's all fixed.
I did that with mine to avoid renewing the registration until I had everything put back together (accident that resulted in me replacing basically anything suspension on the front right).

If you can set aside a day for disassembly, a separate day for reassembly, and whatever time in between you need for machine shop work, it's doable. The work itself isn't hard, just very intrusive. If you do decide to do the work and need a reputable machine shop, I'd recommend Accurate Performance Machine shop on DI/Wynn. I've had nothing but great experiences with those guys.

Also, check out the headgasket link in my signature. It's definitely helpful.
Old 09-01-2015
Registered!!

Since it's not running, surrender the plates to the DMV and get it registered if/when it's all fixed.
I did that with mine to avoid renewing the registration until I had everything put back together (accident that resulted in me replacing basically anything suspension on the front right).

If you can set aside a day for disassembly, a separate day for reassembly, and whatever time in between you need for machine shop work, it's doable. The work itself isn't hard, just very intrusive. If you do decide to do the work and need a reputable machine shop, I'd recommend Accurate Performance Machine shop on DI/Wynn. I've had nothing but great experiences with those guys.

Thanks for the advice -- I have considered doing the head gasket myself but the way the engine is barely running with the flashing CEL, sputtering and stalling, etc., I'm afraid there's some internal damage. So I've taken tomorrow off to get it as clean as possible, touch the paint and interior and then post it for sale. If I can't sell it within a couple of weeks, I'll declare it non-op with the DMV and part it out, then have Copart or Pic-a-Part tow it away.
Old 09-02-2015
Registered!!

Again, thanks for all of the advice. It sounds as if you do all or most of your mechanic work yourself, but is there anyone in town you recommend? I'm assuming that Accurate Performance only does machine shop work.