7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Overheating Issue (Mechanics can't even figure out issue)

Old 08-24-2015
2002 Honda Civic EX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
baconomics is an unknown quantity at this point
Overheating Issue (Mechanics can't even figure out issue)

Hey guys, I bought a 2002 Civic EX in June. It had 110k miles on it.
Had a mechanic look at it before buying, everything ran perfectly.
Went and replaced the timing belt and water pump about 2 weeks into having it just to be cautious because I had the money at the time to do so.
About a month ago the car started over heating out of nowhere, mostly during traffic and non-highway driving. Took it to the shop and they told me it was just the sensors and they replaced them (told me the radiator was fine and working properly). Drove out of the shop and about 50 miles into driving it started to overheat again. This time I was on the highway and it shot up to red and started smoking under the hood. Pulled over, notice the radiator hose had popped loose from running too hot.
I had the car towed back to the shop. They told me they had to replace the radiator because this, that, and the third...but they replaced the radiator, hose, thermostat, flushed the system, cap.
Drove away and about 30 minutes of driving it starts to overheat again.
I take it back to the same shop. They keep it for a couple days, have an electrician look at it. He notices a short in the wire from to the fan, says that is the issue. They say the car is working properly but is burning through coolant. They did several combustion tests on the head gasket and all came back negative.
The car runs but burns through the entire coolant fluid in less than an hour. This weekend I put about 200 miles on it and used about a half a gallon of coolant.
Any suggestions on what the issue could possibly be?
A buddy of mine suggested the intake manifold gasket being replaced...but I would expect a shop Ive been going to for a while that is pretty reputable to think of something simple like that first.

I'm at my wits end because I just bought the damn car to save money on gas and engine problems (Had a Blazer before this)
Old 08-24-2015
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Overheating Issue (Mechanics can't even figure out issue)

read this...

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...reference.html

Find a mechanic that knows something about Honda's.

Every time your car overheats it's increasing the odds that the head gasket is blown. Let it overheat a lot and more damage than just a HG will need to be repaired.
Old 08-24-2015
2002 Honda Civic EX

Thanks, none of those seem to be the issue. They have done several tests to see if the combustion gasses are leaking thru the head gasket...all tests have come back negative. The heater blows hot air.
Old 08-24-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by baconomics
About a month ago the car started over heating out of nowhere, mostly during traffic and non-highway driving. Took it to the shop and they told me it was just the sensors and they replaced them
which sensors are these exactly? dare i even ask the question

I had the car towed back to the shop. They told me they had to replace the radiator because this, that, and the third...but they replaced the radiator, hose, thermostat, flushed the system, cap.
Drove away and about 30 minutes of driving it starts to overheat again.
lose this "shop" they have no clue what they are doing and are just throwing random parts at it without any reasoning, (insert ezone parts cannon pic here) all the money you spent to this point (with the exception of the timing belt job) has most likely been a waste

I take it back to the same shop. They keep it for a couple days, have an electrician look at it. He notices a short in the wire from to the fan, says that is the issue.
my only reaction to this is

Any suggestions on what the issue could possibly be?
yes....your head gasket is blown

A buddy of mine suggested the intake manifold gasket being replaced
my only reaction to this is

and possibly

but I would expect a shop Ive been going to for a while that is pretty reputable to think of something simple like that first.
they don't seem reputable......in my opinion
Old 08-24-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Is the overflow filling up with coolant?

Get a new shop.

Headgasket is not found with traditional tests on a 7th gen.
Old 08-24-2015
2002 Honda Civic EX

thanks guys wish I woulda came here first
Old 08-24-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikey1
(insert ezone parts cannon pic here)

Name:  SzALe.png
Views: 26
Size:  486.8 KB

Old 08-25-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by baconomics
Pulled over, notice the radiator hose had popped loose from running too hot.
Radiator hoses do not "pop loose from running too hot", hoses pop loose when the clamp that holds them has not been tightened correctly.
Old 08-25-2015
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by pjb3
Radiator hoses do not "pop loose from running too hot", hoses pop loose when the clamp that holds them has not been tightened correctly.
running hot or overheating can make them pop a lot easier
Old 08-25-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The radiator cap should have been the relief valve, not any hose.

I'm inclined to vote for mis-clamped hose or broken nipple, barb worn down or missing
Old 08-26-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone