7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Tire Plug Or Replace?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Tire Plug Or Replace?

i have plugged a few tires in my time with good success, they have lasted for many years without any problems,

i have had a very slow leak in one of my tires for about 6 months now, i finally took it off today and found a nail in it

just wondering if its safe to plug this because the position is very close to the sidewall, its on the inside of the rear tire,

the tire is in good shape and less then a year old

i have attached a pic and circled it in red,

i am almost tempted to just leave it as it is, it only leaks about 4 pounds every 3-4 weeks, but the OCD side in me says i should fix it
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20150812-00030.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	783.1 KB
ID:	87977  

Last edited by mikey1; 08-12-2015 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-12-2015
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold
Re: Tire Plug Or Replace?

For my own car I would plug it.

For a customer car I would replace it.

We have an old ramcharger at work used as a snow plow. It doesn't get many miles at speed, but last winter I noticed someone had actually plugged the middle of a front tires sidewall. It doesn't leak, likely wouldn't get thrown out at highway speed since the force would be against the side of the plug. But it does look spooky
Old 08-12-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Patch it from the inside?
Old 08-13-2015
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

^^^ That close to edge, I'd be afraid it would come off.
Old 08-13-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

A third option if the puncture is in a place that can not be plugged is to put a tube in the tire.
Old 08-13-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Mikey, where were you? Hotter places have more issues.
It's not too recommend ed when it's too close to the shoulder of the tire. Yeah, the inner patch might be safer. You might need huge balancing weights to compensate, though.
Old 08-14-2015
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

thanks for the replies,

i am going an a 400 mile round trip this weekend and didnt have the time to repair or change it so im hoping for the best,

its been this way for 6 months so im hoping a few more miles wont hurt, i will deal with it when i get home,

i am in canada, so we get a wide variety of temps, right now its about 90F on a regular basis, but winter can get down to -40F or lower,
Old 08-14-2015
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

its closer to the sidewall yes but its still in the tread patch it.
Old 08-14-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Lowlife, there's a rule that you don't plug too close to the outer shoulder. now a patch might be acceptable.

About experience: in one of my business trips that i have to drive a rental, i got a screw in the rear tire.
Thing is, it would loose 6-8 lbs in a night. but while driving, it would keep the pressure. it would leak only while parked.
i could get back (yeah, same 400 miles) and had to just fill it in the mornings and after work was done, going back to the hotel. No fill required during the trip.

then, again yours are leaking less, so should be OK for the trip.
Old 08-14-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
Lowlife, there's a rule that you don't plug too close to the outer shoulder.
The rule of thumb we use at work is one inch from the edge of the tread.
Old 08-16-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
Lowlife, there's a rule that you don't plug too close to the outer shoulder. now a patch might be acceptable.
does this rule change, or does it make it more acceptable if its on the inside of the tire tread (which this one is)?

im back from my trip, no issues, like i said it only leaks about 4 pounds a month
Old 08-16-2015

does this rule change, or does it make it more acceptable if its on the inside of the tire tread (which this one is)
The rule is there because of how much flex there is in that area of the tire -- 'radial squat' causes a lot of flex as the tire rolls with weight on it. Flexing can allow a repair to fail.

http://www.rma.org/wp-content/uploads/prp_wallchart1111.pdf

Disclaimer:
Of course you should check what the manufacturer of your tire brand has to say regarding repairs (website?), and if you decide to perform any repair outside the published guidelines you accept all responsibility for consequences of your actions.

Note: Disclaimers absolve the manufacturers for improper repairs.

You are free to do as you wish regarding repairs, as it is your car, your tire, and your bla bla bla ....
Reality: If it were on my car I'd plug it, or use a patch-plug, and see how long it lasts. If I get more service life out of the tire this way, I win LOL
I don't want to buy another $50-$200 tire if I don't have to.

CSB:
I had my roof redone (tear off and reshingled) several years ago, the crew did not do a great job cleaning up all the nails.
I was driving my truck daily at the time.....I pulled out of the driveway once and hear a "slap slap slap" as I roll down the street, I get out and look and find a 5" square chunk of shingle nailed to my tire.
Over the following couple months I put so many plugs in my tires it wasn't even funny. Worst was about a dozen different holes in one tire.
The plugs would dry out and leak after a few years, so they would get pushed in and a new plug installed.
I rolled on those tires....longer than any tire should be driven. The roof was done in 1995, and I just replaced the last of those tires last year.
Old 08-16-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Reality: If it were on my car I'd plug it, or use a patch-plug, and see how long it lasts. If I get more service life out of the tire this way, I win LOL
I don't want to buy another $50-$200 tire if I don't have to.
yeah im thinking the same, i will plug it tomorrow, and make sure i always keep that tire on the rear, never on the front

I had my roof redone (tear off and reshingled) several years ago, the crew did not do a great job cleaning up all the nails.
I was driving my truck daily at the time.....I pulled out of the driveway once and hear a "slap slap slap" as I roll down the street, I get out and look and find a 5" square chunk of shingle nailed to my tire.
Over the following couple months I put so many plugs in my tires it wasn't even funny. Worst was about a dozen different holes in one tire.
The plugs would dry out and leak after a few years, so they would get pushed in and a new plug installed.
I rolled on those tires....longer than any tire should be driven. The roof was done in 1995, and I just replaced the last of those tires last year.
Old 08-18-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OptimisticWay is an unknown quantity at this point

I also use plug patches and have had great success with them for about 20 years. Tires are tough. I have plugged sidewalls successfully and never had an issue with plug/patch kits.

If a tire has a patch in an area inside the tire that arcs on the sidewall, YOU SHOULD NEVER REPAIR IT! It is not safe and if you kill someone and they can prove you performed this unsafe method, be prepared to be sued civilly and possibly face some prison time. That's pound you in the *** prison time.

On a car that only sees in town traffic no faster than 45 mph the risk is low for an accident it the tire goes bad. If you are going on the highway at 65 mph plus, I would put the tire on the driver's side rear so you can check it every time you get back into the car. If it blows out on the rear you still have your steering tires fully inflated and possess more control over the vehicle. Also, invest in some valve stem caps that have a red ring exposed when it drops below 32 or 36 psi. I have the 36 psi one that I use on trips. I bought mine from Wal-Mart for like 5 bucks. Lastly, find a 1 inch or 1½ inch plug/patch that may likely patch your tire safely and legally for you. Good luck.
Old 08-19-2015
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Industry standard is to replace... but that is because the average person will not check their tire pressures, which will lead to an under inflated tire, which will then have a folded side wall which leads to friction an a blow out.

Structurally there is no reason side wall damage (repairable sizes of course) will cause the tire to fail, if the tire will hold air.

It is the flex in the sidewall which can cause plugs to loose air which is the issue.

You could plug it then keep a tire gauge on you for a month.
Old 08-19-2015
Registered!!

thanks for the tips,

im a very OCD type person in every aspect of my life, and that relates to my cars as well, so needless to say i check my tire pressures at least once a week
Old 08-19-2015
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

i know its taboo but my last set of tires had multiple plugs in multiple tires and im still alive to tell the tale. or maybe this is the ghost of lowlife9 speaking from the grave booooooooooo i need brains brainssssss.
Old 08-19-2015

Plugs are dangerous!!!

Leave the nail in the tread, that's the safest thing you can do.
It's even plugging up the hole in the tire so it doesn't leak air out so fast!

Old 08-20-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Plugs are dangerous!!!

Leave the nail in the tread, that's the safest thing you can do.
It's even plugging up the hole in the tire so it doesn't leak air out so fast!

i was seriously considering this, seeing as its probably been like that for about 6 months, cause thats about how long ago i noticed it slowly leaking, but my OCD side in me is telling me to fix it
Old 08-22-2015
Registered!!

ive been using plugs my entire life with no problems but i know there designed for temporary use only.
Old 08-27-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marteam is an unknown quantity at this point

I would plug and patch it from the inside, then check the tire pressure on a regular basis.
Old 08-27-2015
Registered!!

i just went the plug route,

i has been about 4 days now and zero pressure loss