7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Clunk from front suspension

Old 08-09-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marco83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Clunk from front suspension

Hello guys, I'm new to the forum, and I'm having a situation. I've recently replaced my front struts and mounts with kyb. After the install, i noticed a clunk coming from the front passenger side when going over potholes. But not all potholes. I then replaced the sway bar links, and LCA bushings on both sides. Still i get the clunk. I did the 12 and 6 o'clock test for ball joints, and there's no play. Before i spend more money, and more of my saturday morning taking apart the front end, can anyone help me pinpoint where the noise is coming from?

Thanks
Old 08-10-2015
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about
Re: Clunk from front suspension

Make sure the upper big motor mount can on the passenger can is not bottomed on the rubber bumper (should be air space under it) and the lower link arm on the bottom side is not torn.
Old 08-10-2015
Registered!!

I thought about the bump stops. Last night when i parked the car, i checked and i was able to slide the bump mount up and down a bit. I pushed it up as far as i could. But youre saying that it doesnt have to be pushed up all the way?
Old 08-10-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Did you index your springs?

All mount bolts are tight? Strut bearing was not mounted upside down?
Old 08-10-2015
Registered!!

All bolts are for sure tight. And as far as bearing, which side points up?
Old 08-10-2015
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Marco83
I thought about the bump stops. Last night when i parked the car, i checked and i was able to slide the bump mount up and down a bit. I pushed it up as far as i could. But youre saying that it doesnt have to be pushed up all the way?
??? Not sure if we are on same page. See post 19 here. I assumed you fixed the problem and the noise was something else.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ntrol-arm.html
Old 08-11-2015
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

you didn't answer if you indexed the suspension properly thats extremely important and will cause improper alignment which will cause movement and basically popping noises.
Old 08-11-2015
Registered!!

Strycker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lowlife9
you didn't answer if you indexed the suspension properly thats extremely important and will cause improper alignment which will cause movement and basically popping noises.
Is indexing required if you change the struts out for new ones? And does indexing mean alignments? Just trying to get a grasp of what you mean exactly and when it's needed. I plan on doing lots of replacing like this thread is mentioning. Need new LCA and maybe sway links. I just replaced my wife's struts for Monroe Quick Struts and noticed I need bushings.
Old 08-11-2015
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

It's required if the spring is removed from the strut. Quick struts might already be done.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...like-pics.html
Old 08-11-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lowlife9
Yes i did. I verified that. This vehicle is my personal car, so i dont drive it daily. Im also reading some posts on other threads, and im reading that kyb has a stiff ride in general. Could that be an issue? But the markings on my strut mount, strut, and spring seat are aligned. Perhaps the alignment was taken off course, when i changed the struts?
Old 08-11-2015
Prelude Owner

Can you replicate the sounds with the suspension off the ground? Might be easier to isolate the issue. Maybe you can use a jack to jack the wheel up and load the spring when the car is in the air.
Old 08-11-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
Can you replicate the sounds with the suspension off the ground? Might be easier to isolate the issue. Maybe you can use a jack to jack the wheel up and load the spring when the car is in the air.
Tried that with rubber mallet. No success. I would hate to think that the struts are defective, but i think if i take the strut assemblies apart again, i will have to defect them out, and install new ones.
Old 08-11-2015
Prelude Owner

I guess they could be but it's unlikely. I would take them apart and check assembly again.

I know I asked if the mount bolts were tight but how about the center nut for the shock rod? I thought mine was tight when I did my sprimgs but I was able to get it a little tighter and it cleared up a noise I was hearing.
Old 08-11-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
I guess they could be but it's unlikely. I would take them apart and check assembly again.

I know I asked if the mount bolts were tight but how about the center nut for the shock rod? I thought mine was tight when I did my sprimgs but I was able to get it a little tighter and it cleared up a noise I was hearing.
Yeah, I checked that also. I checked while the assembly was off the vehicle, and once again while installed on the vehicle.

I also want to add, that my springs don't pop while making turns. The "clunk, thud, or noise" that I'm hearing is mostly when I'm going over some potholes. If I'm traveling on straight road, I don't get the noise. I mostly get the noise when I'm going over, what I like to call little mountains. It's when the pavement cracks, and becomes a little mountain.
Old 10-13-2018
Registered!!

bwfixit53 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Marco83
Yeah, I checked that also. I checked while the assembly was off the vehicle, and once again while installed on the vehicle.

I also want to add, that my springs don't pop while making turns. The "clunk, thud, or noise" that I'm hearing is mostly when I'm going over some potholes. If I'm traveling on straight road, I don't get the noise. I mostly get the noise when I'm going over, what I like to call little mountains. It's when the pavement cracks, and becomes a little mountain.
That sounds like ball joints from what I've read in here.