7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Headliner

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SuperNova18 is an unknown quantity at this point
Headliner

So my headliner was starting to come down in my civic and it started to look as though I had a cape flying in the back seat. so I took the headliner down and tried to replace it, needless to say i made it worse and ideas on how much it would cost to refix or where i should take it to get it fixed for cheap price. Or even a good way to refix it myself.
Old 08-04-2015
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice
Re: Headliner

There are some great videos that show you how to replace the headliner on youtube
Old 08-04-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

3m spray adhesive?
Old 08-05-2015
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

you have to remove it then remove the foam with a wire brush then glue on the new material with the 3M 90. they sell foam backed headliner material at most joann fabric stores.
Old 08-06-2015
Registered!!

SuperNova18 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lowlife9
you have to remove it then remove the foam with a wire brush then glue on the new material with the 3M 90. they sell foam backed headliner material at most joann fabric stores.
Oh ok I used some graph fabric that ended up not being big enough I wasn't sure where to by the new foam or the cloth that goes over .
Old 08-27-2015
Registered!!

marteam is an unknown quantity at this point

You can also add reflectix insulation above the headliner for heat and noise reduction.
Old 08-28-2015
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

Old 08-31-2015
Registered!!

Pier7866 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SuperNova18
So my headliner was starting to come down in my civic and it started to look as though I had a cape flying in the back seat. so I took the headliner down and tried to replace it, needless to say i made it worse and ideas on how much it would cost to refix or where i should take it to get it fixed for cheap price. Or even a good way to refix it myself.

Well since civic headliner are not completely wrapped around that is why after a little while the fabric falls off the best way to do it if you do not know completely than let the upholstery person handle it I did mine for 2001 Honda civic professional charged me $250 but was worth every penny because that including taking the headliner out stripping it completely and than adding new fabric on it will look very clean and nice. Because if you use 3M adhesive on old fabric it will instead of sticking will eat up the material. Hope this help.
Old 09-08-2015
Registered!!

Red_Chaos1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I need to do this soon myself. All of the fabric of the headliner and visor is rotting and falling out. Edges flapping everywhere, etc. The visors can just be black plastic, I don't care, but I don't want a bare headliner. The insulation/sound deadener is a great idea too.
Old 09-08-2015
Registered!!

Pier7866 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Red_Chaos1
I need to do this soon myself. All of the fabric of the headliner and visor is rotting and falling out. Edges flapping everywhere, etc. The visors can just be black plastic, I don't care, but I don't want a bare headliner. The insulation/sound deadener is a great idea too.

Well than make sure that after pulling the headliner down you have to stripped it completely and than add a good adhesive glue and also sometimes specific fabric does have a very thin layer of sponge under it which will make it a little thinker and make sure you wrap the fabric around and once the headliner is down you could add a sound deadener as well which I did it too. Hope this help.
Old 09-09-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Pier7866
Well than make sure that after pulling the headliner down you have to stripped it completely and than add a good adhesive glue and also sometimes specific fabric does have a very thin layer of sponge under it which will make it a little thinker and make sure you wrap the fabric around and once the headliner is down you could add a sound deadener as well which I did it too. Hope this help.
Yeah, I've read the comments and plan to watch a few videos, etc. Only makes sense to have a totally clean surface if I want it to not start sagging again right away, and folding over will help keep it from peeling back due to hot Texas weather/wind/etc.

Definitely plan on using a sound deadener, not sure if I'll bother with a padded fabric, that foam is part of why it sags, the foam degrades and lets the fabric go. I've also debated using something quilted and using decorative screws or rivets in a pattern to hold it up as well.
Old 09-09-2015
Registered!!

rallyeredem0 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have personally had bad experiences with the 3m stuff.
I bought some headliner adhesive at Jo-Ann's that worked much better and is still holding on strong 3 years after, got it while buying fabric to wrap the headliner
Old 09-19-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by bluetones
Okay, so that's definitely a good starter, but being 6th gen it has a few things missing, and also has at least one piece of bad/badly instructed advice. I just got done getting my headliner out and will add what I found.

These clips can be turned 90 degrees and pop off
No, no they cannot. At least not without breaking them, as I have.
Name:  zSIXg6Y.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  503 Bytes

Here's what it should look like:
Name:  WIx4g7C.jpg
Views: 624

You need to press something into the hole to depress that tab before you can twist it. If you force it like I stupidly did, you break the tab and then the clips will be loose and spin freely in the holes when you replace them. I'll have to see about another pair from a pick and pull or something.

Removing the dome light and courtesy/reading lights; you have to remove the clear plastics to get at the retaining bolts. Last few cars I worked on, the dome lights simply clipped in behind the headliner board, so they were easy to pull out and disconnect.

Dome light:
Name:  sDG8JX3.jpg
Views: 628

I was able to get that off easily with just one corner pried out with a small jeweler's flat-head.

Reading lamps:
Name:  jumQXOw.jpg

Pry each side off from the center.
Name:  DTlgzTq.jpg
Views: 624
Name:  AoLYX5o.jpg
Views: 618

The B pillars require a 15mm socket to get the seatbelt loops off first. Remove the dome shaped caps with a small flat-head and then ratchet away.

Lastly, beware the wires for the dome and reading lamps. They aren't run along the roof reinforcements. They're glued to the top of the headliner board.

Name:  mn649jk.jpg

That's all I have to add for now, hopefully it helps future folks have an easier time with redoing the headliner of their 7th gen.
Old 02-10-2017
Registered!!

New question to add: do I need to use a solvent or anything to remove the prior adhesive? I *finally* have the fabric for redoing this, I just need to get some good headliner adhesive spray (I have some Permatex stuff that was what I tried to fix the old headliner with) and I can get it done. Most of these guides just mention use of wire brush to remove all the old foam, etc. but nothing about the old glue.
Old 02-14-2017
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Here is the original TSB 00-076 Headliner Sags for reference...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TSB00-076 Headliner Sags.pdf (46.3 KB, 141 views)
Old 03-12-2017
Registered!!

Robert Hemphill is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Red_Chaos1
Yeah, I've read the comments and plan to watch a few videos, etc. Only makes sense to have a totally clean surface if I want it to not start sagging again right away, and folding over will help keep it from peeling back due to hot Texas weather/wind/etc.

Definitely plan on using a sound deadener, not sure if I'll bother with a padded fabric, that foam is part of why it sags, the foam degrades and lets the fabric go. I've also debated using something quilted and using decorative screws or rivets in a pattern to hold it up as well.
I removed the fabric and backing and sparyed the lid with primer and bedliner, installed fat mat while i had it down, now the lid sounds like a lid and not a empty soda can and a rubber band..... been good since 5+years.....wt