7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Timing belt cover

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drix is an unknown quantity at this point
Timing belt cover

I'm trying to replace my camshaft sensor on my 02 civic lx. The third bolt on the timing belt cover is pissing me off it just keeps spinning. I hold it with a wrench and it just strips through, i held it with needle nose pliers and it strips through. I don't know how the hell to get it off so i thought maybe one of you guys could help me out. It won't let me post a picture of what I'm talking about so I'll have to add it to the post after. Useless post i guess, wont let me add a photo.

Last edited by Drix; 08-03-2015 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Can't add a damn picture
Old 08-03-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
emich is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Timing belt cover

Originally Posted by Drix
I'm trying to replace my camshaft sensor on my 02 civic lx. The third bolt on the timing belt cover is pissing me off it just keeps spinning. I hold it with a wrench and it just strips through, i held it with needle nose pliers and it strips through. I don't know how the hell to get it off so i thought maybe one of you guys could help me out. It won't let me post a picture of what I'm talking about so I'll have to add it to the post after.
the one the upper cover rear? Same thing happened to me. Brake the plastic and you'll see the nut inside. After you install the timing belt you can glue and clamp the nut . It is holding OK on my car. Hold on You can replace the cam sensor without removing the cover. I have done that even on EX models . on LX will be easier there is no ABS unit on your way

Last edited by emich; 08-03-2015 at 07:18 PM.
Old 08-03-2015
Registered!!

Really? How can i install it without taking it off? If i can really do it that way im going to feel like an idiot. I removed my valve cover to get the timing belt cover off and the last bolt screwed me over so I just pieced it all back together
Old 08-03-2015
Registered!!

drhawkinz has a spectacular aura aboutdrhawkinz has a spectacular aura about

i assume by 3rd you mean the one in the middle

prob not enough room but have you tried to grabbing it with vice grips?

I think it's just a 10mm bolt and is shouldn't be in there so hard that it's not turning. If you can grab it with vice grips and break it loose you can prob turn it by hand.

If you can get your hand in there.
Old 08-03-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by drhawkinz
i assume by 3rd you mean the one in the middle

prob not enough room but have you tried to grabbing it with vice grips?

I think it's just a 10mm bolt and is shouldn't be in there so hard that it's not turning. If you can grab it with vice grips and break it loose you can prob turn it by hand.

If you can get your hand in there.
By 3rd i mean, if looking at the cover straight on, the one furthest to the right. It'll turn but it just spins, can't tighten or loosen it. Theres a piece of metal on the other side that is holding the bolt in but because of that piece its just spinning, i tried to hold that metal piece still with the pliers. Sorry for lack of information; I'm thinking the dumb *** before me might have done something bootleg. If i could figure out how to post a picture it will explain the situation better.
Old 08-03-2015
Registered!!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-03-2015
Registered!!

so that stripped looking piece is what keeps spinning?
Old 08-03-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by drhawkinz
so that stripped looking piece is what keeps spinning?
Yeah that metal piece opposite of the 10mm bolt. This has to be something bootleg, I've never seen a piece like this
Old 08-03-2015
Registered!!

yeah i don't know what that's hung up on, it's suppose to pass through the plastic and screw into the engine block.

you try popping that grommet out and unplugging the sensor, then seeing if you the cover would come off. sometimes if you can get an angle on it you can get enough tension to make it unscrew.

or try to get a flat head between the bolt and the plastic and pry it out as you turn the bolt
Old 08-03-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

That looks like it's just the nut that used to be embedded in the back section of the cover before it stuck to the bolt and spun and broke out the loop that held it in place.

It happens, just deal with it.

Use some Vise-grips or slip-joints or Channel-locks or whatever it takes to hold it still so you can get the bolt out of it.
It's already broke free, the cover may come off without getting it apart
Old 08-03-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Handy pic:
Name:  bZWPXBd.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  731.2 KB

Note this was a cam sensor job, the bolt is already removed from the sensor
Old 08-04-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
That looks like it's just the nut that used to be embedded in the back section of the cover before it stuck to the bolt and spun and broke out the loop that held it in place.

It happens, just deal with it.

Use some Vise-grips or slip-joints or Channel-locks or whatever it takes to hold it still so you can get the bolt out of it.
You're right thats what it is. Except the damn thing is stripping the teeth on my pliers more than anything. What should i do? I probably have to break the cover off at this point.
Old 08-04-2015

You're right thats what it is. Except the damn thing is stripping the teeth on my pliers more than anything. What should i do? I probably have to break the cover off at this point.

Creative prying?

Break off the outer half of the loop so the 'nut' has room to come around the back cover?
Old 08-05-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

just break the damn thing off and buy a new one,

if you are tight for money go to a scrap yard