7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'02 EX sedan/ AC issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ilikemscruffy is an unknown quantity at this point
'02 EX sedan/ AC issue

Greetings!

My '02 EX sedan's AC is acting up. At the end of last summer it would cool at first, but after 10-15 minutes, it would start blowing warm humid air. This summer when I turned on the AC, it would only blow warm air. I was told the compressor quit and needed to be replaced. Reman compressor installed, the system was evacuated refilled to specs. The air is freezing cold (about 60 degrees) as long as outside temp stays under 75 degrees.
Once the outside temp goes above 80 degrees, I've noticed as long as I'm driving at a low speed and the RPMs are below 1500, the AC will continue to blow cold. Once the RPMs go above 2000, it will immediately blow warm/humid air (approx 80 degrees). I have an AC thermometer inserted into the center vent. When the RPM's again drop below 1500, it will immediately start pumping out cold air, approx 60 degrees. Obviously I can't tell if the compressor is shutting down when it blows warm air, since the car is in motion.
This is driving me crazy!! My mechanic has no idea what is wrong with it. He rechecked for leaks and tested the freon level and it is completely charged. The Honda dealership here has no clue.
I did run the AC DTC test, and there is no issues there.
I appreciate any help or suggestions offered!!
Thanks! Mark
Old 06-25-2015
Registered!!

Reverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: '02 EX sedan/ AC issue

When you changed the compressor, did you change the clutch as well? Could be that after a certain engine speed, the clutch starts to slip and disengages the compressor.

You CAN test this while the car is in the driveway, you just need two people. Have one person sitting in the car hitting the throttle, in neutral of course, and watch the compressor and clutch and see if it starts to slip or disengage.

You should be able to reach in behind the throttle body and reach the throttle cable yourself and watch the compressor.

If the clutch is slipping, you will need a new clutch assembly, minus the compressor.
Old 06-25-2015
Registered!!

Ilikemscruffy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey! Thanks for your response.
As far as I know, the clutch was replaced with the new compressor. I'll double check with my mechanic in the morning.
I'm wondering if the pressure switch on the compressor is malfunctioning??
Old 06-26-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
alex_nyc is an unknown quantity at this point

Im not sure how it works on a civic, but isnt there a vacuum or mechanical controlled switch that cuts out the AC when you accelerate hard? if so maybe this switch or control is kicking in too soon ???

otherwise you may need to adjust the clutch by removing a spacer. I dont know the clutch gap measurement off hand.