7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

rough idle and high pitch noise coming from belt (normal?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kaelin is an unknown quantity at this point
rough idle and high pitch noise coming from belt (normal?)

Hi, just bought a 2005 civic and I was just wondering if these things are normal and if not what the issue could be. The car seems to idle pretty rough but it is older so I'm not really surprised and the high pitched almost chirping sound seems to be coming from the drivers side. The timing belt was replaced about a month ago and new spark plugs about a week ago. Any help would be great!

Thanks!

I posted a video at
but the chirping sound is almost undetectable in the video but that is the belt that the noise is coming from and there's quite a lot of vibration going on that I'm not sure is normal or not.
Old 06-19-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: rough idle and high pitch noise coming from belt (normal?)

That AC line is vibrating quit a bit but it didn't look like it was secured like it should be. I couldn't tell how much the actually motor was vibrating but the motor mounts could be going bad causing it vibrate more then it should.

The sqeaking is probably the belt slipping. Either needs to be tightened or replaced.
Old 06-19-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: rough idle and high pitch noise coming from belt (normal?)

You are definitely missing #13... Replace it before you loose you A/C from that tube moving around and starting a leak.

Idle is controlled via the Idle Air Control valve. It is the usual suspect for bad idling... you can clean it out or if that doesn't work, get a new one.

Take a look at this post:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...e-up-mods.html