7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Smoothing Out The Bumps

Old 06-13-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MN-02-CivicEx is an unknown quantity at this point
Smoothing Out The Bumps

The suspension on my recently purchased 02 CivicEX (125K) isn't anything to brag about. Was thinking of installing new struts, but my mechanic says it won't be much of an improvement and probably not worth the money). Suggested a higher tire size with more give/floatation over the bumps.

I'm gradually fixing it up to give to my daughter. Although there aren't as many bumps in Atlanta as in Minnesota would like to improve the ride unless the 02 Civic inherently has a stiff suspension resulting in feeling every bump/thump in the road.

Where you'd hit a bump and the car would bounce multiple times as it settles back down on the springs. The strut reduces that movement allowing the suspension to move to absorb the initial impact without continuing to bounce.
The problem seems to be more that there is very little give. There is 1" of exposed threads extending above the strut tower nut. Would backing off the strut nut 7/8" help soften the bumps? Is there anything else (modification) that has been done/recommended to soften the ride over bumps?
Old 06-13-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smoothing Out The Bumps

There is 1" of exposed threads extending above the strut tower nut. Would backing off the strut nut 7/8" help soften the bumps?
DO NOT TOUCH THAT! It will only cause serious problems.

Go drive a couple other similar all stock Civics before deciding yours has a problem.

would like to improve the ride unless the 02 Civic inherently has a stiff suspension resulting in feeling every bump/thump in the road.
They are not designed as a real soft riding car IMO. (Example: Toyotas generally have seemed to have much softer struts and softer ride than comparable Hondas)

What other kind of car are you used to driving?
I got out of a Buick Park Avenue when I got my Civic. I went from a sofa to a wooden ox cart. This Civic like to beat me to death for the first 2 years, it took that long for me to get used to the ride.
Old 06-13-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
They are not designed as a real soft riding car IMO. (Example: Toyotas generally have seemed to have much softer struts and softer ride than comparable Hondas)

What other kind of car are you used to driving?
I got out of a Buick Park Avenue when I got my Civic. I went from a sofa to a wooden ox cart. This Civic like to beat me to death for the first 2 years, it took that long for me to get used to the ride.
Compared to a 2002 Mazda Protege 5 who would complain although my 02 Kia Rio Cinco has a slightly softer ride than the 02 CivicEx.

My daughter was given an 04 Chrysler Concorde a year ago, but has had one problem after another and finally sold it last week. Probably the only thing she liked about it was its roomy interior and soft ride. If she turns down my offer i'll sell my manual Kia because i love the automatic Honda Civic EX, even with its slightly stiffer suspension. Get 42 highway cruising mpg, and 30 stop/go mpg driving around town.

Last edited by MN-02-CivicEx; 06-13-2015 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-13-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Concorde would be a softer ride than any Civic IMO. She'll either get used to it or she'll have to buy her own car?

Do the struts and shocks pass the standard bounce test? No leaks?

Tires aren't way overinflated?
(Tire choice can make a lot of difference in the ride too.)

If there are clunk noises or loose ball joints or bad bushings, etc., that's stuff that should be addressed.

Otherwise, I'd assume the ride "is what it is".
Old 06-13-2015
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

does it have stock wheels ?? what psi are you using in the tires summer heat will cause higher psi not to mention even higher psi when the tires heat up from driving.
Old 06-19-2015
Registered!!

Do the struts and shocks pass the standard bounce test? No leaks?

Tires aren't way overinflated?

If there are clunk noises or loose ball joints or bad bushings, etc., that's stuff that should be addressed.

Otherwise, I'd assume the ride "is what it is".
What bounce? There is no bounce to test, but the rear shocks do pass the bounce test.

There are no leaks unless everything thing leaked out before i got the car with 124K. Ball joints, bushings etc are ok ... looks like a couple parts have been replaced. Tires 35 psi

What brand would you recommend for a softer ride that's more comparable to your suggestion of a comparable Toyota? What's your opinion on Gabriel Struts - Part Number: G57049/50 ($150ea) or another brand that would offer a softer ride?

I did try out another 02 Civic with a softer ride that passed a one bounce test. The only way my 02 has half a bounce to give is if I first lift up on the bumper. There isn't enough spring to even push down on the front bumper or fender. It's as if the strut springs are already bottomed out ...

Last edited by MN-02-CivicEx; 06-19-2015 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-19-2015

Originally Posted by MN-02-CivicEx
What bounce? There is no bounce to test, but the rear shocks do pass the bounce test.

There are no leaks unless everything thing leaked out before i got the car with 124K.
Lots of these cars got struts replaced for clunk noises pretty early in life.

A leaking strut would be obviously wet---- or it may be caked in dirt if it's been leaking for a long time.

What brand would you recommend for a softer ride that's more comparable to your suggestion of a comparable Toyota? What's your opinion on Gabriel Struts - Part Number: G57049/50 ($150ea) or another brand that would offer a softer ride?
I haven't a clue. Maybe others can comment on aftermarket struts.
I did try out another 02 Civic with a softer ride that passed a one bounce test. The only way my 02 has half a bounce to give is if I first lift up on the bumper. There isn't enough spring to even push down on the front bumper or fender. It's as if the strut springs are already bottomed out ...

There is 1" of exposed threads
For some reason this strikes me as wrong, but I don't have a 7th gen to look at right now. I'm thinking it should be more like 1/4 to 1/2 inch of exposed threads.
Has someone replaced the struts with aftermarket units?
Is the car lowered?

Are the front struts black? Springs black?
White sticker with a Honda part number on it, or no?
Old 06-19-2015
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

if your tire is at 35 psi cold then you definitely need to let some air out 35psi in a hot tire is to high for a comfortable ride good for gas mileage but not comfort. if you want comfort set it to 30-31 psi in a cold tire basically you want it around 32 psi when it warms up.
Old 06-20-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lowlife9
if your tire is at 35 psi cold then you definitely need to let some air out 35psi in a hot tire is to high for a comfortable ride good for gas mileage but not comfort. if you want comfort set it to 30-31 psi in a cold tire basically you want it around 32 psi when it warms up.
It's not that "cold" in Minnesota this time of the year. We had an early spring this year with several May days more like June and one 90 F day in May ... more like July. Thanks for your suggestion will adjust to 30psi (cold) for what may be several balmy 90 F July days.
does it have stock wheels ??
Yes! It has the original factory rims & stock tire size.

Realistically the only way i'd have a "comfortable ride" is if Minneapolis roads didn't have so many pot holes and uneven pavement breaks.

PS: Hope you don't mind me doing a little clowning around.

Last edited by MN-02-CivicEx; 06-20-2015 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-20-2015
Registered!!

Lots of these cars got struts replaced for clunk noises pretty early in life.

A leaking strut would be obviously wet---- or it may be caked in dirt if it's been leaking for a long time.

For some reason this strikes me as wrong, but I don't have a 7th gen to look at right now. I'm thinking it should be more like 1/4 to 1/2 inch of exposed threads.
Has someone replaced the struts with aftermarket units? Is the car lowered?

Are the front struts black? Springs black?
White sticker with a Honda part number on it, or no?
The front strut shocks are more like gray dirt in appearance. The strut springs have an appearnace more like gray dirt over what could be some normal rust where roads are salted in the winter. Assume they are the original struts, and like you wondered why there was close to 3/4" to 1" of exposed threads above the top of the tower adjusting nut. The drivers side is close to 1" and passenger side close to 3/4"

The CivicEX has not been lowered or otherwise significantly altered other than having 125K. I'll check with Honda, O'Reilly's, AutoZone, and local mechanic to get their opinion on a strut that may give a softer ride than the original factory strut.
Old 06-20-2015

Originally Posted by MN-02-CivicEx
The front strut shocks are more like gray dirt in appearance. The strut springs have an appearnace more like gray dirt
Did you wipe any parts off to see the true color, or were you seeing road grime?

Gray struts MIGHT be KYB brand????
Can anyone confirm this?

Anyone?
Bueller?

and like you wondered why there was close to 3/4" to 1" of exposed threads above the top of the tower adjusting nut.
That nut is not for adjustment, it's tightened until it bottoms out. That nut is what keeps it all together, the cap and bearing, and the piston of the strut. If you loosen it the struts will knock and rattle. If the nut comes off, you will be in a world of crap once the shaft drops down.
The drivers side is close to 1" and passenger side close to 3/4"
Has anyone else checked how much thread is exposed on theirs yet?
Old 06-25-2015
Registered!!

Was at the local Honda dealership for a couple small retaining clips yesterday and decided to try the front end bounce test on a couple of their smaller showroom models. Was surprised at how much FORCE you have to press down on the front fender to even do a real "bounce test" on the front struts. Was actually afraid i might put a dent in the front fender if i pressed down hard enough to do a bounce test (the front fenders didn't seem all that solid) ... so decided to run this front end "bounce test thing" by one of the Service Mgrs.

He followed me out to my parked CivicEx to do his own bounce test. He pushed down on each front fender with more force than i had previously tried. It was his expert opinion that the struts on my 02 CivicEx were OK and didn't need to be changed.Then he said, "When i want to turn right, i don't want to sway right, i want to turn right." He also suggested 30psi in the tires.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a little sway as i've never considered the CivicEx a sports car with a ride similar to the Mazda Protege 5