Suspension Post your issues with Suspension here! Suspension will cover from Steering Column (Steer Wheel is in interior), Suspension, Bearing and Hubs

Steering wheel shakes when turning

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
honda200192 is an unknown quantity at this point
Steering wheel shakes when turning

okay so this is kind of been an ongoing problem with my car for about a year but I kind of just ignored it but I thought since I'm a member of a Civic Forum I should ask people on here to see if they have had the same problem. and this could even be related to my alignment question that I posted but I doubt it.so when I'm driving on the freeway or even on normal road my steering wheel doesn't shake but if I tilt it to the left or to the right it shakes.and it only does it when I turn to the left or to the right?
Old 06-02-2015
Registered!!

stereobumps is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Steering wheel shakes when turning

CV joints?
Old 06-02-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by stereobumps
CV joints?
No, iv checked my CV joints and the boots are in still good shape. Infact im almost positive the guy before me had then replaced.
Old 06-02-2015
Registered!!

stereobumps is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by honda200192
No, iv checked my CV joints and the boots are in still good shape. Infact im almost positive the guy before me had then replaced.
The boot can be good and the joint itself still bad.
Old 06-02-2015
Registered!!

Ya but i don't see how bad cv joints would cause shaking in the steering wheel. And im positive they have been replaced.
Old 06-02-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Just for giggles, rotate the tires (front to rear) and see if that changes anything.
Old 06-02-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

so when I'm driving on the freeway or even on normal road my steering wheel doesn't shake but if I tilt it to the left or to the right it shakes.
if you are not moving when it does it, power steering related. could even be belts slipping.
Old 06-03-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Just for giggles, rotate the tires (front to rear) and see if that changes anything.
I just had them rotated and still doing it
Old 06-03-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
if you are not moving when it does it, power steering related. could even be belts slipping.
Its weird if my front end is jacked up( tires not touching the ground) and i turn my steering wheel from left to right.. Smooth as can be. But when im driving freeway or normal road it does the shaking only when im turning my wheel from left to right
Old 06-03-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Its weird if my front end is jacked up( tires not touching the ground) and i turn my steering wheel from left to right.. Smooth as can be. But when im driving freeway or normal road it does the shaking only when im turning my wheel from left to right
ah, ok, you not moving the steering wheel while parked (which was my question - sorry, you need be more descriptive, we can't read your mind, just your words...).

go to alignment shop and have them check it underneath for suspension parts (who knows, some of yer bushings might be goners, or even ball joint - could get ugly, go there, don't stay playing in the internet) Also, have them look the power steering.
Old 06-03-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Instead of telling them what parts to check, how about you take the mechanic for a ride to demonstrate what it is doing. THEN let them figure out why.

Hopefully you go to someone that can solve problems instead of throwing parts at it til you go away.
Old 06-04-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Instead of telling them what parts to check, how about you take the mechanic for a ride to demonstrate what it is doing. THEN let them figure out why.

Hopefully you go to someone that can solve problems instead of throwing parts at it til you go away.
Well it has brand new ball joints, bushings, struts. I know cause i replaced those when i bought the car. I just had an alignment done about a week ago. But i will take it in again and have the mechanic ride with me. Iv even shaken the tires down( 12 & 6) and (9 & 3) just to see if there was play in that area. No play at all. And i know its not an unbalanced tire cause again my steering wheel only shakes when tilting/turning. When i hold it without turning or tilting its smooth as can be( THIS IS WHEN IM DRIVING). So we can rule out things here. (BALL JOINTS,BUSHINGS,STRUTS,UNBALANCED TIRE). thanks guys for all your input.
Old 10-27-2019
Registered!!

Josevaldez86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well it has brand new ball joints, bushings, struts. I know cause i replaced those when i bought the car. I just had an alignment done about a week ago. But i will take it in again and have the mechanic ride with me. Iv even shaken the tires down( 12 & 6) and (9 & 3) just to see if there was play in that area. No play at all. And i know its not an unbalanced tire cause again my steering wheel only shakes when tilting/turning. When i hold it without turning or tilting its smooth as can be( THIS IS WHEN IM DRIVING). So we can rule out things here.(BALLJOINTS,BUSHINGS,STRUTS,UNBALANCED TIRE).
thanks guys for all your input.

did you ever find out what was the problem? I am having the same issue on my civic 99 changed everything and it still shakes only while turning.