7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Give me some advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reginator is an unknown quantity at this point
Give me some advice

Hey guys I just bought a 2003 Honda civic hx 1.7L. I did some research and i found out that it isn't the best civic to upgrade to a street racing civic. But I am willing to throw the money necessary to make it as powerful as I can. My budget is around 5-6k to upgrade and be satisfied with it. I need some of you guys to compile a list of things I need to acquire to reach the 250-300 hp goal. I am newbie to the sport car world but im willing to learn. I already got a CAI on the way and now im looking into exhaust systems, turbo's, engine management systems, ETC. I just need you guys to explain what I need to do and watch out for so I don't get in over my head and mess up something serious. All suggestions would be nice. Thanks for the help !!! Everything is stock as of right now.
Old 06-01-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Give me some advice

Originally Posted by Reginator
I need some of you guys to compile a list of things I need to acquire to reach the 250-300 hp goal
a new/different engine
Old 06-01-2015
Registered!!

Star1967 will become famous soon enough

I recommend a good header, cold air intake , a tuned exhaust (not a fart can those are just a waste) ,and a polished and ported head if you are going with an engine swap. If you are sticking with the stock engine upgrade the cam, bore out the cylinder block .060 ,forged pistons, blue print the block, port and polish the head, lighten the body(if possible),and change the transmission gears.
Old 06-01-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Reginator
I need some of you guys to compile a list of things I need to acquire to reach the 250-300 hp goal.
Search. There is a lot of info out there. With your budget a k swap would be best. Type-S with upgrades.

K-swap info http://www.xproductionz.com/k20swap/k20swap.html

engine management systems
Hondata
Old 06-01-2015
Registered!!

ok yeah i think im gonna go with a k20 swap i think its the cheaper option. thanks for all the help guys
Old 06-02-2015
Registered!!

Star1967 will become famous soon enough

Your welcome. Good luck and I want to see the results.
Old 06-08-2015
Registered!!

marteam is an unknown quantity at this point

Getting new exhaust and CAI is an easy way to get some hp improvement.
Old 06-08-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

eh... If you want to end up with 250-300whp, don't waste the money on boltons..

If you're gonna swap, save up a good $3-5000 before you mod anything else. If you're gonna stick with the D17 under the hood, boost the crap out of it. There was a member here, many moons ago, that had a D17A1 (DX/LX) under the hood with a D17A2 (EX) head, boosted to 31psi, pushing damn near 500whp (489whp with 381ft-lbs torque, IIRC). A good boost project will probably cost about the same, but with boost comes more maintenance upkeep to ensure proper operation.

You won't find any of his build information on here anymore, though. He (and a bunch of other members) left the forum and took all their information with them when the site was sold and changed from 7thgencivic.com to civicforums.com
Old 06-08-2015
Registered!!

you sir riceboy have givin me hope. Time to boost the old hx to new heights and measures will post results soon.

Update 1- Installed a CAI 6/5/15
Old 06-08-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like linking to this forum, but this is where they all went. Here's Andy's build

http://www.7thgenhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24398

edit: Looks like his car was pushing 360ft-lbs of torque, not 381
Old 06-17-2015
Registered!!

Update: I got a flowmaster muffler coming in soon and I decides to stick with thr engine i have now. Will post pictures soon