7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Whats going on under my hood? [pics-incl.]

Old 05-27-2015
Ocenica

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ocenica is an unknown quantity at this point
Whats going on under my hood? [pics-incl.]

We had the Honda Civic EX 2002 overheat about month ago. When I went to fill up the radiator I found this yellow gunk caking the top of the radiator. I didn't know what it was so once the car was back on the road I put radiator cleaner in it and ran it around for a while then washed it all out with new fluids twice.

I check it today and the yellow gunk is back. Not sure what it's coming from. The oil levels are fine, it does have a very slight leak (220k miles on the car). As well there is a code P0401 (Generic) EGR insufficient flow valve.

Could these two issues be related? What causes the yellow gunk?

Notes:
-The oil is not milky and at regular levels.
-The car runs well (no more overheating or vibrating)

Any advice or ideas is appreciated.

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Code Pic.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	87763   Click image for larger version

Name:	Radiator Pic.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	87764  
Old 05-27-2015
Registered!!

Reverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Whats going on under my hood? [pics-incl.]

We had the Honda Civic EX 2002 overheat about month ago
yellow gunk caking the top of the radiator
Blown head gasket.

Yellow gunk IS oil in the coolant. Small amount, so you may not notice the oil level dropping.

-The oil is not milky and at regular levels.
Doesn't matter, oil IS getting into the rad.

-The car runs well (no more overheating or vibrating)
Doesn't matter, it DID overheat and it WILL happen again.

Head-gaskets fail in strange ways and the problem doesn't always replicate itself right away or ever.

EGR valve is probably not connected to the problem, it is probably clogged, common problem. You can try to remove it and clean it with some carb cleaner.
Old 05-27-2015
Ocenica

Awesome, this is what I needed to know. It sucks this happened, but at least I now know what I am up against. Now for the next part. I've done basic maintenance on this car and others (oil changes, spark plugs, brakes). How much more difficult will it be to redo this head gasket? Is it worth it for a novice with tools and a Chiltons guide, or should I spend my time finding a mechanic that can repair this and or scrap the vehicle?

Ty for advice
Old 05-27-2015
Registered!!

Reverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of light

Well doing the HG job yourself will save you TONS on money on labor, but it really depends on how deep you feel comfortable going.

I wouldn't say a HG job is for a novice, but that doesn't mean you can't do it; you just need to do the research, have the right tools, time and energy for it.

The car would likely be down for at least a weekend if everything goes smoothly, possibly longer.

There is a nice DIY on this site:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...elt-diy-6.html

And lots of others if you Google it. Read through it and see if you think you would be able to tackle it.

Your car year/model is prone to HG failures, that being said, it would likely be a one-time fix. As for if it is "worth" doing or scrapping it, that is a decision you will have to make. HG job costs can vary widely between shops and the cheapest route is usually the worst option, IMO.

Is the car otherwise in good shape? Rust? How's the suspension? Anything else you figure needs to be done?

At least if you fix this one, you won't go out and buy another one and come across the same problem down the road. I always look to fix a problem, rather than just throw the item away, no matter what it is, but that's just me.
Old 05-27-2015
Ocenica

Ty for your responses. I am actually looking at the project as a 'learning experience' so I might just take it on. Gonna check the guides and some youtube vids and see what I can mentally calculate out. Time is the biggest issue, and that is why I appreciate your time and responses very much.

Thanks and I'll update soon.
Old 05-29-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

Doesn't look like oil in the antifreeze to me. I'm wondering if you have had incompatible antifreezes added to it and they are forming the sludge. If there is sludge it will limit circulation and could cause overheating.

If you do a search there is a procedure written by Ezone that tests for the most common way the head gasket leaks. Yours may be one of the few that fails in another way but if it passes Ezone's test I would do further analysis/tests before assuming it is the head gasket.
Old 05-29-2015
Registered!!

pjb3 is right, you should probably perform some HG tests before you rip it all apart. The problem is, is that you may waste your time finding that it passes all the tests and it could still be the HG!

The yellow stuff... is it slimy, oily, sticky, gooey? What the best description?

Oil in coolant can look different depending on how the car has been running and sitting. Coolant (Water, propylene glycol and some additives) is a polar substance, while oil is a non-polar substance; they do not like to mix! So oil in the coolant may look like oil in water, that is, it would float and form oil bubbles and not mix well. However, the propylene glycol allows for well mixed oil and coolant to make an emulsion, that is, a very highly-mixed substance that still separates into its sub-components.

The yellow-substance in your rad looks like a very good example of this type of emulsion and this is why I (plus the overheating) would come to the HG conclusion.

Still, doing more research and finding an appropriate course of action will ensure you do the right thing.
Old 05-29-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The P0401 is usually caused by clogged EGR passages. You can clean those out while the head is off for the head gasket work.

The yellowish gunk?? Weird color IMO.
What color antifreeze was used in it?
Could it be a stop leak or sealer?
If it's oil then it should feel and act like an oil.

If it's yellow coolant that's been boiled hard, that could explain the yellow goop.
I see the radiator kinda looks low too.

On the radiator cap, are the thin rubber gaskets all distorted and swollen? Radiator hose or any of the small coolant hoses mushy? That would indicate presence of oil in the cooling system.

If it's been seriously overheated then the head could be warped, and that could allow pressurized oil to breach the head gasket and enter the coolant area in the block. IF it's oil.
And if the head is truly warped that bad, I'd expect to see (at minimum) the middle two cylinders fail the leakage test I usually do.
Old 05-30-2015
Ocenica

Thanks for responses fellas,

Okay so the gunk is sticky. It pretty much disintegrates when you rub it between your fingers into nothing. I have not added a sealer to the radiator nor the the oil. It's synthetic oil and just 50/50 mix antifreeze (Discount Auto Parts kind.) I'll see if I can find those EZONE tests and check that out. The weird thing is, the car runs perfectly fine, stays cool, long distances etc etc no clunkyness at all. For sure though that gunk is telling me something.

Okay ty for the responses again I really do appreciate your time as I diagnose this darn thing.
Old 05-30-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

It pretty much disintegrates when you rub it between your fingers into nothing.
Well, THAT'S new.

So it's like some sort of foam or suds?

*scratches head*
I put radiator cleaner in it
Could it be leftover remnants or residue from this?

And is the radiator level really low in the pic?

I'll see if I can find those EZONE tests and check that out.
Testing for extremely slow combustion leakage into the cooling system:
Start with a hot engine, pull out plugs and rad cap:
Pressurize each cylinder (@TDC, one at a time) with shop air line pressure 150-170+ PSI.
Watch for the coolant level to rise when you get to the bad one. (sometimes this is a slow process)
If no results, then wait for the engine to cool down and repeat this same procedure on each cylinder.
HTH
Old 05-30-2015
Registered!!

usajags84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you get the car used? How long have you owned it?
The reason why I ask is I worked on cadillac northstar engine in a deville a few years ago that someone used headgasket in a bottle on when I flushed the radiator is looked simular. Granted it was redish from the coolant but the consistency sounds right.

My learning experience from that was was to make friends at a machine shop that engine had more helicoils (gm had a problem with the blocks the heads would work their way loose from the threads collapsing

Since the 7th Gen is prone to head gasket failures I could picture that happening