7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Best Year for 7th Generation

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lt. Dan is an unknown quantity at this point
Best Year for 7th Generation

Hey everyone, I am sure this has been asked before, but what do you think the best year (least problems, lowest cost of ownership) of 7th gen Civics is?

I am in need of a commuter car to supplement my truck and am looking to spend in the $4000 range. Auto, manual, coupe -doesn't matter, just looking for cost effectiveness. Also, any problems to watch out for would also be appreciated.

Yes, I know there is a search function but it filters out "best" so it's not very effective. I am no stranger to forums, I know how annoying I am haha.

If anyone is interested, I have a 2002 Ford F250 Crew Cab with the 7.3L diesel which is my dream vehicle but I'm now facing a 500mi/wk commute. 14miles per gallon of diesel doesn't make me happy so a commuter car is in the works. I did a ton of research before buying my truck and I knew every problem it could possibly have but I don't have the luxury of time to do the research on this one.

Thank for all of your help,
Dave
Old 05-12-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Best Year for 7th Generation

in my opinion 2005,

i think they got most of the common issues of previous years (auto tranny, head gasket) sorted out by then
Old 05-12-2015
Registered!!

Lt. Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikey1
i think they got most of the common issues of previous years (auto tranny, head gasket) sorted out by then
What are some of these issues, more specifically? Should I be looking at an auto or manual, in your opinion?
Old 05-12-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lt. Dan
What are some of these issues, more specifically? Should I be looking at an auto or manual, in your opinion?
blown head gaskets are common in 7th gen, but i would say more so with the earlier models, same goes with the auto trannys,

if you want a 7th gen, personally i would look for an 05 auto, and have the tranny fluid changed right away, along with the timing belt if the seller can not provide PROOF of when it was changed last
Old 05-12-2015
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

As with any purchase....... buyer beware.

04-05 better.
Old 05-13-2015
Registered!!

Reverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of light

I have a 2005 and I can testify that I have not really had any major problems since I bought the car in 2008. I use the car every day to travel to work, totaling about 210 km/day, 5 days a week.

To be honest, the only things that I have had to "fix" are things I had done TO the car, poor bugger.

The key to getting a 'good' used car that is now >10 years old is finding a person who maintained their vehicle well.

I had to do the input shaft bearing on my manual tranny, but I really blame that on my driving habits as I used to downshift to slow down for some stupid reason.

Literally, no component has yet to fail that wasn't already past it expected lifetime anyway. I would say 2005 is a nice year, just get a car with a good history!