Safety/Security Items - SRS, Keys, Immobilizer, airbags, ABS Post your safety, security questions here! Airbags, Keys (immobilizer)

Airbag light on AFTER recall repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
voblak2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Airbag light on AFTER recall repair

Hey all, I had my '05 Civic in over a week ago for the airbag recall and when I started my car this morning the airbag light came on and won't go off. I've owned the car for a month and never had a dash light come on before now. I find it a tad interesting that I just had the dealership check the airbag for the recall and now the airbag light comes on. Any ideas what this could be about or what I should do? Thanks in advance!
The following users liked this post:
David05072 (05-04-2023)
Old 05-02-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Airbag light on AFTER recall repair

I would try reseting it first and seeing it comes back.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ght-video.html

The dealer may look at it for you since you just had it in the shop but you may get charged for it if it something that they did not cause.
Old 05-02-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by voblak2
Hey all, I had my '05 Civic in over a week ago for the airbag recall and when I started my car this morning the airbag light came on and won't go off. I've owned the car for a month and never had a dash light come on before now. I find it a tad interesting that I just had the dealership check the airbag for the recall and now the airbag light comes on. Any ideas what this could be about or what I should do? Thanks in advance!
Take it to the dealership and explain this. Ask them to double check their work.
(My shop will double check our work for free, if it is not our responsibility then we inform you there will be diagnostic fees if you want the answers.)

If the code has anything to do with the airbag(s) that got replaced....... You know.
(IF there was a problem with the recall work, 99% sure the idiot light would have stayed on immediately, before you got out of the parking lot on the day it was completed.)

If the code is for a seat belt buckle or any other part they did not touch, you own it. See what the dealer will do.
Old 08-01-2015
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

I had the recall performed as well. But they did not change the driver side inflator, they removed it and put the same one back anyone know why? Ezone?
Old 08-01-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Maybe it wasn't a lot # that was defective. Maybe your VIN was a possible car.
Old 08-01-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
I had the recall performed as well. But they did not change the driver side inflator, they removed it and put the same one back anyone know why? Ezone?
Only TAKATA brand inflators are under recall.

If your car was equipped with an AUTOLIV brand inflator, it does not get replaced.
The bag assembly gets pulled off the steering wheel, looked at, and reinstalled if it is not a Takata brand.

And we don't change the bag itself, only the inflator behind it.
HTH
Old 08-01-2015
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Awesome, good to know.

The new passenger side inflators are also made by Takata..how safe should I really feel? lol

Last edited by 04 Honda Civic; 08-01-2015 at 11:56 PM.
Old 08-02-2015

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
how safe should I really feel? lol
You felt perfectly safe until the fear mongers told you to be scared.

The new passenger side inflators are also made by Takata
I think they have about 4 different companies supplying various replacement inflators now. You SURE your new one was a Takata?
(I have not been keeping track of what brand goes where though)
Old 08-02-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

My CRV did the same thing. It was the seat belt switch for mine. Click on the link below.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...-inflator.html
Old 08-15-2015
Registered!!

Star1967 will become famous soon enough

I'm having the same problem with an 2001. I wonder if it is wise to change both the passenger and driver side switches at the same time?
Old 08-15-2015
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

You sure it's both sides. My recall was just driver. The passenger bag goes up before coming fwd. I assumed the flying metal would hopefully go over the passenger's head.

They told me my fix was temporary and that I would get another recall someday. However, the fix they did satisfied the recall and none exist on my car now. So not sure if service people really know if there are another recall coming someday.
Old 08-15-2015

Originally Posted by Star1967
I'm having the same problem with an 2001. I wonder if it is wise to change both the passenger and driver side switches at the same time?
It would be wise to retrieve the code and make sure of what the issue really is before tossing money at the car.

Some of the buckles can be pricey if they have a firing charge attached to them.

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
They told me my fix was temporary and that I would get another recall someday. However, the fix they did satisfied the recall and none exist on my car now. So not sure if service people really know if there are another recall coming someday.
It's kind of a mess right now, and there are like 17 MILLION cars from about 10 different vehicle manufacturers that are ALL going through nearly identical recalls.

I have seen new inflators from maybe 4 different suppliers (4 different brand names) because Takata could not produce new units fast enough, and I'm still not real sure if all of the Takatas will eventually be taken out of service or what will happen before this is over.

We are returning the removed inflators by the pallet load.

We at the dealers really have nothing to do with making the decisions as to what gets replaced and when. We simply check the VIN report and complete whatever recall campaign(s) it says applies to that particular car.

They have been changing and adding VINs to the recall lists in batches (I assume as warehouse inventories are built up), so we might check and order a drivers unit for a car then by the time the car arrives there's a brand new recall that applies for the passengers unit and shows up on the new VIN report.

Some of the cars originally got the drivers bag serial numbers checked and then the inflator was either replaced or reinstalled, others automatically got replaced, some have been replaced at least twice if not more, some still only get inspected to see who made it, and many cars now get the passengers inflator now too.
Old 09-16-2016
Seat Belt Repair & Airbag Reset - Safety Restore

safetyrestore is an unknown quantity at this point

You should need to take it your dealer and ask them why it happened. Describe all about it and ask them for double check. If they are responsible for this, then they will check where from default comes and if there is any other problem, then you will pay for that.
(We provides seat belt repair and airbag modules services with double check and give full responsibility about our work)
Old 02-06-2018
Registered!!

RickSlick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by voblak2
This happened to me exactly. They said bring it in and if it's their fault it won't be the 65 dollar fee for checking. Otherwise I'm responsible for all parts and labor. I felt cheated. I told them I never had a light until a week or so after this repair but somehow it's my fault. Then I was hung up on. My next car will not be a Honda.
Old 02-06-2018

Originally Posted by RickSlick
This happened to me exactly. They said bring it in and if it's their fault it won't be the 65 dollar fee for checking. Otherwise I'm responsible for all parts and labor. I felt cheated. I told them I never had a light until a week or so after this repair but somehow it's my fault. Then I was hung up on. My next car will not be a Honda.
All you need to do is read the fault code yourself so you know if it's related to their work or not.

If it's a code for the airbag they just replaced, take it to the dealer.

If it's anything else, you now own a new problem.
Old 02-06-2018
Registered!!

The service guy said I need a special diagnostic computer to read airbag codes. I have done a little research and the light staying on means the airbag will not deploy and maybe it's electronicly not connected. I'll try o Reilly and see if the code says anything. My thing is if I see dog prints on a beach I think it's safe to say a dog walked on this beach. They were totally rude and would not give me the benefit of the doubt. Worst customer service ever. From a dealership in Roseville Michigan. Jeffery Honda. Terrible! I may write a letter or just buy a new Toyota and bring it by there.
Old 02-06-2018

Originally Posted by RickSlick
The service guy said I need a special diagnostic computer to read airbag codes.
Not always true.

I have done a little research and the light staying on means the airbag will not deploy
Not always true.

I'll try o Reilly and see if the code says anything.
I doubt their engine code reader will touch airbag codes, but it's worth a try.

My thing is if I see dog prints on a beach I think it's safe to say a dog walked on this beach.
Dog walked across the beach a week ago.
Does that mean the dog is still on the beach?
They were totally rude and would not give me the benefit of the doubt.
Exactly how much money have you spent with that dealership over the last 10 years?
Go ahead and get your receipts and calculator, I'll wait.

Do you understand how often dealers hear the same stories from consumers who want everything for free?

Do you work for free?

Worst customer service ever. From a dealership in Roseville Michigan. Jeffery Honda. Terrible! I may write a letter or just buy a new Toyota and bring it by there.
I doubt they will care.
If you didn't spend a dime in that store over the last 10 years, they aren't going to miss you one bit.

They said bring it in and if it's their fault it won't be the 65 dollar fee for checking. Otherwise I'm responsible for all parts and labor.
At my dealer they will recheck it and if it's their fault it gets taken care of, no problem.
If it's not their fault, you won't get any answers without paying. All you get to know for free is if it's their fault or not. If you want the answers, you have to pay the checkout fees.
Old 06-08-2020
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Not always true.

Not always true.

I doubt their engine code reader will touch airbag codes, but it's worth a try.

Dog walked across the beach a week ago.
Does that mean the dog is still on the beach?
Exactly how much money have you spent with that dealership over the last 10 years?
Go ahead and get your receipts and calculator, I'll wait.

Do you understand how often dealers hear the same stories from consumers who want everything for free?

Do you work for free?

I doubt they will care.
If you didn't spend a dime in that store over the last 10 years, they aren't going to miss you one bit.

At my dealer they will recheck it and if it's their fault it gets taken care of, no problem.
If it's not their fault, you won't get any answers without paying. All you get to know for free is if it's their fault or not. If you want the answers, you have to pay the checkout fees.
I'll junk the car before I'd ever take it back to Jeffery Honda in Roseville Michigan where I experienced the worst customer service ever known to man. Absolutely trash.
Old 05-04-2023
Registered!!

David05072 is an unknown quantity at this point

Got the air bag recall and my car was one of the victims a week later the air bag light came on 2005 honda civic
Old 05-04-2023
Super Moderator

Received 1,845 Likes on 1,298 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Take it back to the dealer. Or pull the codes yourself.
The following users liked this post:
Colin42 (05-04-2023)
Old 05-04-2023
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
Take it back to the dealer. Or pull the codes yourself.
Exactly, no point in complaining here