7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Car ticking when hot

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
johnnyblaz3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Car ticking when hot

hey guys, i just picked up an 2002 sedan with 230k kms on it and it drives great.. but i have a problem, the car will sometimes tick after the engine has fully warmed up... do i just need a valve adjustment?
Old 03-10-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Car ticking when hot

Originally Posted by johnnyblaz3
do i just need a valve adjustment?
i cant hear anything from here,

did you start the engine yet?
Old 03-10-2015
Registered!!

after a long drive and car is warmed up, driving through an alley and i hear the ticks resonate.... tick, tick, tick, (hit accelerator pedal) faster tick, tick tick.. i get home inspect the engine, try to figure out where the tick is coming from but all i hear is tick from the top and bottom...

next day in the morning i start the thing up and no ticks until it gets really hot or after a long *** drive... i've just did a valve adjustment so i'm hoping this is the problem

i just don't understand why it only ticks when hot? is it cause the the valve expands when hot and hits the head? btw there were 2 intake valves way too tight, and almost all the exahaust valves way too loose

sorry no video.. i got a potato phone, also this is my first valve adjustment

Last edited by johnnyblaz3; 03-10-2015 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-10-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

how long did you let the engine cool down for (not running) before you performed the valve adjustment? what was the temperature where you performed the valve adjustment? does it tick louder when you are accelerating hard?
Old 03-10-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mikey1
how long did you let the engine cool down for (not running) before you performed the valve adjustment? what was the temperature where you performed the valve adjustment? does it tick louder when you are accelerating hard?
i let the car sit for a full day in the garage before adjusting the valves, temperature was about 12C or 53F.. i'm pretty sure the tick doesn't get louder, but it does tick a bit faster when i rev it
Old 03-10-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Fuel injectors always make tick noise and can be heard, sometimes rather far away

Use a stethoscope to pinpoint the source?
Old 03-10-2015
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

hondas have always been notorious for valve noise thats just what they do no worries.
Old 03-10-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Old timer taught me: Loose valves just make noise..... Tight valves burn.
Old 03-12-2015
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

an old timer told me once elvis was the last king to die on the thrown.
Old 03-17-2015
Registered!!

Update, noise is gone after the valve adjustment, i think this was the problem... if the noise returns ill post back in here... thank god i didn't have any serious engine problems because it sure sounded like rod knock or belt valves or something...