7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cold engine oil change question

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dirk888 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cold engine oil change question

I was changing the oil in my son's 2003 Civic EX. Normally I run the car to heat it up so that the oil flows better, but this time I didn't. The car had been sitting for about 3 days. When I took off the oil filter, it was dry and clean. Is this to be expected with a cold engine oil change?
Old 03-04-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cold engine oil change question

Originally Posted by Dirk888
When I took off the oil filter, it was dry and clean. Is this to be expected with a cold engine oil change?
It's normal after the engine has not run for a while.
Cold is not the factor, time is.

HTH
Old 03-05-2015
Registered!!

Dirk888 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
Old 03-05-2015
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

Had this happen one time on my 1995 Civic Coupe. Had a fram filter on it. It was bone dry and appeared that the anti drain back flap was crimped off center. I as usual questioned Fram and they sent a box for it. Later they said it was OK, met their flow rate and had been filtering and sent it back with oil in it. (like it had been full and drained out). Think they sent me some coupons for a few filters. This was the 1.6 engine with the filter in the back up on the side. Does it just drain out Ezone? Hard to believe it could be dry looking. It has been a long time but I did it in the garage, so I may have not started the car and it was raining outside.
Old 03-05-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

the filter seems to empty more as the engine sits (not running),

i was changing my oil once, jacked it up, popped the drain plug and let it drain, a few friends stopped by and we got into the beers, needless to say i said F the oil change,

went to bed that night with the car still jacked up and drain plug out, the next morning i put the drain plug back in, then i went to remove the oil filter expecting the big splash of oil to run down, and there was NOTHING,

i removed the old filter and put the new one on without anything dripping down, it always did in the past, so i concluded from this the longer i let it sit, the less mess there is
Old 03-05-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Does it just drain out Ezone?
Yes.

I consider it normal under some conditions (time), it's not anything that I worry about when I see it.