7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

No Start Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
daibhidh is an unknown quantity at this point
No Start Problem

We have a 2001 Civic that has us baffled. It starts perfectly once! If I turn it off it will not restart unless I let it sit for an hour or so. This happens when the engine is hot or cold. All the suspect parts have been changed or swapped with known good parts. This includes fuel pump, filter, fuel pressure regulator, distributor, fuel rail etc.
While checking fuel line pressure (it was perfect) I noticed that if I relieve the fuel pressure, the car starts right away. turn it off and it refuses to start until I relieve the fuel pressure in the rail. Injectors test good.
Starter is working perfectly, new battery and good spark.
It seems to have something to do that fuel line pressure.
CEL is not on and no codes stored.
Any ideas?
Old 02-16-2015
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: No Start Problem

The car runs fine otherwise?
Old 02-16-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Scan datalist: ECT and IAT on a stone cold engine. Do they agree (within a couple degrees)? Is one out of calibration?
Old 02-17-2015
Registered!!

Other than the restart problem, the engine runs perfectly.
If there was a problem with the ECT or IAT,then relieving fuel line pressure should have no effect on starting right?
I am thinking it could be something in the EVAP system, but why no CEL?
Old 02-17-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

sounds like an electrical problem, most likely grounding,

disconnect the battery terminals, clean the posts and connectors spotless with a mixture of baking soda and water, use a wire brush if nessessary, let everything dry and wipe them off good before you reconnect,

check all other main connections, battery to engine/frame, ground from engine to frame, etc etc, make sure all are tight and corrosion/rust free, replace parts and wires as nessessary,
Old 02-17-2015
Registered!!

Problem solved! New ECT defective, another new ECT and all is good.
Thanks all.
Old 02-17-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezone
Scan datalist: ECT and IAT on a stone cold engine. Do they agree (within a couple degrees)? Is one out of calibration?
Originally Posted by daibhidh
If there was a problem with the ECT or IAT,then relieving fuel line pressure should have no effect on starting right?
Originally Posted by daibhidh
Problem solved! New ECT defective, another new ECT and all is good.
Thanks all.
People wonder why I post some of the answers I post.
Old 02-17-2015
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

What's an ECT?
I searched my repair manual but it returns every word with the ECT combo in it. Detect, connect, inspect...
Old 02-17-2015

Originally Posted by bsmiley
What's an ECT?
I searched my repair manual but it returns every word with the ECT combo in it. Detect, connect, inspect...
OBD2 standardized acronym for Engine Coolant Temperature sensor.