7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Symptoms and Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Geoff_Geoff is an unknown quantity at this point
Symptoms and Confusion

Okay, This is confusing the hell out of me. I know this very well may be a head gasket issue, but I just wanted to post about it to get some feed back incase I am wrong.
For sometime now my 04 Honda Civic has had cold air from the heater, even when at running temperature. It would get hot eventually while driving, but at idle its pretty luke warm. Also, I would add a splash of coolant to the radiator every time I would fill up for gas. Yesterday while pulling away from a stop sign I noticed the temp gauge rising, so I pulled off the road and turned the car off before it came anywhere near the red line. 5 min. later I started it up and drove home 5/10 min across town. No issue, normal temp reading. I looked under the hood and noticed the reservoir was full and sprayed a bit of coolant over the fan etc. So I took the rad cap off and bleed the system. Lots of burping and running time later bubbles seems to have stopped rising. The engine temp gauge actually dropped significantly for a little while until eventually returning to normal. I didn't notice any bubbling of the coolant in the reservoir. I took it for a test drive. Lots of heat while driving, not so much at idle. It would get hot when I stepped on the gas. When I returned home 10/15 min later I check the hoses. The top was hot and the one coming from the thermostat was cold. Also, during all this. I never seen the cooling fan come on. I find it pretty unlikely that the fan is busted. So my thoughts are to change the thermostat. One other thing. After I returned from my test drive i noticed a few tiny bubbles in the coolant reservoir coming up. Today I purged and burped the system again after taking all the excess coolant out of the overflow. The car took a long time to warm up. it ran for at least 20 min and was still not at proper running temp. didn't notice any bubbles after purging the system again… thoughts? Also a couple other little things. whenever I would take the rad cap off to add coolant there would be pressure behind the cap. even if the car sat over night. This normal? or is that a sign of a defective rad cap as well. LAST but not least, I would hear gurgling noises from inside the car when I would take off from stop lights/signs. I appreciate any help! i know there is a million threads about this, and I read them all. Just seems like there is a lot of different little things going on with my car to make it way harder to just pinpoint.
Old 02-16-2015
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Symptoms and Confusion

PRETTY sure it's the HG. I'm sure ezone or someone who has seen it before will verify this.
Old 02-16-2015
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

Geoff,
You most likely have already identified what the problem is. You can remove your thermostat and make sure its working. Boil some water and drop it in to check that it opens. Do not put your thermostat in a cup of water and attempt to microwave it. Boil the water first, then place thermostat in the water, just saying.

Sounds like your coolant is being pushed out of your reservoir. If the system was sealed it wouldn't be pushing coolant out of the reservoir.
You don't even need to search the threads, there are a few with links to Ezone's test methods right on the main thread page.
I hope you change the head gasket yourself and it might be the best time to go ahead and do your timing belt & water pump while your at it.
Good luck, use the DIYs and take your time.
Old 02-16-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

head gasket, for sure
Old 02-16-2015
Registered!!

thats what Im thinking too, damn. I was hoping maybe it wasn't since there was so many other little problems. I will be doing it myself yes. I build motorcycles so Im pretty mechanically incline. Just never done a job like this on a car before. The problem is I live in Montreal and its -25 outside these days! going to have to wait till it gets warmer outside. Ill check the thermostat in water tomorrow. thanks everyone!
Old 02-16-2015
Registered!!

also, what and where is ezone? i suck at navigating this site...
Old 02-16-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geoff_Geoff
also, what and where is ezone?
That's a me.
I have a real daytime job. I can't hang out and derp here all day.

Sounds like a head gasket to me too.
Old 02-16-2015
Registered!!

oh haha, k cool, thanks again everyone. I will study the DIY and replace it myself
Old 02-16-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Find the 'overheating common causes reference' thread and check out the first post, see how I diagnose and prove head gasket problems on these.
Old 02-16-2015
Super Moderator

Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ezone
That's a me..
Old 02-18-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

That's a me.
I have a real daytime job. I can't hang out and derp here all day.
Poppycock.
Old 02-19-2015
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Poppycock.
Poppycock? What gives? Spending quality time at the assisted living center? Been watching a lot of PBS mystery theater? Taking Geritol supplements from 1980? (tip: that stuff is expired)

Who are you mystery person and what have you done to xRiceBoYx?
Old 02-19-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bsmiley
Poppycock? What gives? Spending quality time at the assisted living center? Been watching a lot of PBS mystery theater? Taking Geritol supplements from 1980? (tip: that stuff is expired)

Who are you mystery person and what have you done to xRiceBoYx?
Old 02-19-2015

Originally Posted by bsmiley
Spending quality time at the assisted living center?
Someone needs to empty my drool cup....

EDIT: I can't find a good pic of someone wearing a drool cup on teh googles!
Old 02-23-2015
Super Moderator

I can't find a good pic of someone wearing a drool cup on teh googles!
Old 02-23-2015

I saw that one several times, but it wasn't what I had in mind.