7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Constant ticking from alternator area / no speedo

Old 02-16-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rhbmcse is an unknown quantity at this point
Constant ticking from alternator area / no speedo

Hi Folks - my first post - my first civic!
I just picked up a 2004 1.6 for peanuts but it's got a few problems which I cant figure and I was hoping you good guys on the forum could help.

As per the title really - as soon as I turn the key (before the engine even fires) there's a constant mechanical ticking noise (about 4 times a second) coming from the alternator area.

My immediate thoughts were 'oh crap, it shouldn't do that' but she started, first time. Inside the car, the MIL light was on along with the battery warning light which I figure would tie in with the ticking noise from the alternator.

So I drove off and then realised - no speedo either, the miles weren't increasing although they were displayed, and the dial didnt move above 0 MPH!

Some kind of electrical fault obviously but Im not familiar with the civic, yet.

I'd really appreciate some pointers on this. I'd also add that the ticking noise does not increase with the engine RPM- it remains a constant tempo of it's own - sounds kinda like a relay that keeps on switching on and off.

Also - do these have an internal fuse box as well as an external? I havent got around to looking yet - I'm about to plug my OBD reader into it to see what we have got...

As an update - we have the following:
P0135 - Powertrain 02 Sensor Heater Circuit (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0141 - Powertrain 02 Sensor Heater Cirtcuit (Bank1 Sensor 2)
P0443 - Powertrain Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit

Not sure where to go from here - other than google - but this seems to me to be some electrical fault around the Emissions Control Circuitry - and I'm still not sure about why the speedo wouldnt be working?

**Further update**
I'm going to break this down to a few different posts as it seems I have a few problems to deal with...the ticking noise was surprisingly only the headlight adjuster motor knackered!
Cheers.
Rob.

Last edited by rhbmcse; 02-16-2015 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-16-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Constant ticking from alternator area / no speedo

My power steering pump has a noticeable click, and has since day one. That's around the alternator location, at least for my 2002 1.7L.

I'm guessing the CEL codes are simply coincidental with both the ticking and your lack of speedometer problem.

I'm not too familiar with the 2001-2005 1.6L (Euro or Asia, I'm assuming?), but if the layout is anything like the North America models, the in-cabin fusebox is accessed via an access panel below the steering wheel.

The speedo issue could be a few things. VSS, loose/severed wires, etc. I'd do some digging/testing to see what the cause would be

Paging ezone to this thread please. ezone to this thread please. Thank you.
Old 02-16-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Paging ezone to this thread please. ezone to this thread please. Thank you.
Freekin LOL.

The O2 sensor codes, speedo, and alt (charge light on) COULD all be a blown fuse;
our 6th gens would chafe a wire against an intake manifold bracket and blow a fuse that takes out several items at one time. Both O2 sensors, the VSS, and ELD all shared the same fuse so if it blew, all codes could be set at once.
Also sharing that fuse may be the alternator, TCM if equipped, EVAP system solenoids: CVS, Purge, and Bypass.

When this happened to ours it would blow fuse #15 in the underdash box (labeled 'alternator', 'sp sensor'), but yours may not use the same numbering scheme as ours here in North America.

IIRC, this is the style of engine this happened to:

**Further update**
I'm going to break this down to a few different posts as it seems I have a few problems to deal with...the ticking noise was surprisingly only the headlight adjuster motor knackered!
I so wish we could have those over here!

Regards
Old 02-17-2015
Registered!!

rhbmcse is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow - thats some useful info right there...
You know the one stupid thing I didnt check was ALL the fuses?
Typical techie - start looking at the difficult stuff first! Dive right in there, get the fault code reader out, arm the multimeter!
Erm..could be a fuse, mate...
I think I'll go check all the fuses...and if it's that simple, I'm clearly a f***ing tw*t, sir...Thats's a flipping twit for the uneducated amongst you
Old 02-17-2015
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

Knackered" meaning tired, exhausted or broken . Got that I think. Exactly what does your headlight motor do?
Old 02-17-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Exactly what does your headlight motor do?
Euro has headlights you can adjust up and down on the fly, from inside the cabin.
We aren't allowed to have that in the US.
Old 02-17-2015
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ezone
Euro has headlights you can adjust up and down on the fly, from inside the cabin.
Do they have high beams and low beams? I am sort of glade we don't. Back in the old days, you could flash your light when someone had their brights on in the city or when they forgot to turn their lights on. Now they would turn around and shoot you. They sure do not need a way to crank up their low beams.
Old 02-17-2015

Originally Posted by ezone
I may be wrong on this, someone at work says a Lancer Evo had this feature.

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Do they have high beams and low beams?
Yes

Now they would turn around and shoot you.
Oh.... You're one of THOSE people....
Here, you need to read these:

http://www.snopes.com/crime/gangs/lightsout.asp

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/crime/a/headlights.htm

They sure do not need a way to crank up their low beams.
Especially those strange looking blue ones.