7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

2001 Honda Civic - A/C compressor or pulley/belt issue

Old 01-19-2015
biomed01civic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
elamaranm is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 Honda Civic - A/C compressor or pulley/belt issue

My 01 honda civic had a squealing noise only when accelerating at low speeds and/or at idling. There was some burnt rubber kind of smell once from under the hood and I stopped driving after that. When I start the car, this is how it sounds

https://*******/0Twu

The mechanic tells me that the compressor and idler pulley needs to be replaced and gave me a quote of $600. Right now, I cant spend that much to fix it. With some internet search, I found the compressor cab be bypassed with a smaller belt. When I told my mechanic, he said the Hondas are different and cannot be done. I dont think that is true.

it looks like the belts are fine. Im wondering what is going on. Can someone help me to bypass the compressor.

Update (today): the car wouldn't start now. Not sure if it is because of alternator issue or battery draining off due to compressor freezing up. I am confused.
Old 01-19-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2001 Honda Civic - A/C compressor or pulley/belt issue

Hmm. Video didn't play in Firefox, and in IE I hear sound but see no video.

Update (today): the car wouldn't start now. Not sure if it is because of alternator issue or battery draining off due to compressor freezing up. I am confused.
If the belt has been loose and squealing, then the alternator probably hasn't been able to properly charge the battery for a while now.

Got a voltmeter? Check the battery. Is it weak?
Put a battery charger on the battery for a while. Then see if it will start.

If the compressor pulley finally locked up completely, that could keep the engine from starting.

With some internet search, I found the compressor cab be bypassed with a smaller belt. When I told my mechanic, he said the Hondas are different and cannot be done. I dont think that is true.
You are correct, your mechanic is not.

YES you can purchase a belt to run the alternator only.
Ask for a belt for your year car, but call it a DX with no A/C.

I can obtain the Honda part number if you want. You can too.

You can look up that belt in popular brands on most any parts store website, and most belt manufacturers websites. Use the car data above.

The mechanic tells me that the compressor and idler pulley needs to be replaced and gave me a quote of $600.
Honda sells just the pulley/clutch set and coil separately from the compressor.

I always opt to fix the original compressor whenever possible, because aftermarket AC compressors are crap.

it looks like the belts are fine.
If it's been squealing and you smelled burned rubber, it's not fine.
Old 01-19-2015
biomed01civic

Thanks a lot for the help. I really appreciate your suggestions.
The video plays in my browsers. Im not sure why it did not do for you.
I will check the battery and also buy the bypass belt. As you said it is most likely due to the alternator i guess.

One more question: How easy is it to change the belts? im a novice when it comes to DIY in cars?
I am already looking at some youtube videos for some help.

Originally Posted by ezone
Hmm. Video didn't play in Firefox, and in IE I hear sound but see no video.

If the belt has been loose and squealing, then the alternator probably hasn't been able to properly charge the battery for a while now.

Got a voltmeter? Check the battery. Is it weak?
Put a battery charger on the battery for a while. Then see if it will start.

If the compressor pulley finally locked up completely, that could keep the engine from starting.

You are correct, your mechanic is not.

YES you can purchase a belt to run the alternator only.
Ask for a belt for your year car, but call it a DX with no A/C.

I can obtain the Honda part number if you want. You can too.

You can look up that belt in popular brands on most any parts store website, and most belt manufacturers websites. Use the car data above.

Honda sells just the pulley/clutch set and coil separately from the compressor.

I always opt to fix the original compressor whenever possible, because aftermarket AC compressors are crap.

If it's been squealing and you smelled burned rubber, it's not fine.
Old 01-19-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elamaranm

One more question: How easy is it to change the belts? im a novice when it comes to DIY in cars?
I am already looking at some youtube videos for some help.
Search the DIY sections here, find the 7th gen timing belt DIY.
Belts have to come off to do that job, that should help you. Take the info you need, leave the rest.

Old 01-19-2015
biomed01civic

Thanks. I will keep posted.

Search the DIY sections here, find the 7th gen timing belt DIY.
Belts have to come off to do that job, that should help you. Take the info you need, leave the rest.

Fastway - Say What You Will (Stereo) - YouTube
Old 01-19-2015

Um....FYI it's very important to get all of the alternator bolts tight again. You can ruin the PCM if they are left loose.

Old 02-10-2015
biomed01civic

Finally, I bypassed the compressor with the shorter belt in the midst of all the Boston snow. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.
The DIY section in this forum was very helpful to get to the right bolts.

The car is running fine and no squealing noise anymore. I think the compressor was completely locked up which prevented the engine start.

While I plan to fix or replace the compressor within the next few months (can't afford right now !), a few questions:

1. With the compressor off the belt, it will still kick in since it receives power. right? Is it ok to leave it this way, or should I remove the power to the compressor?
I assume it is complicated. I don't intend to do this if it's not necessary.

2. The heat should still work. right?. It does actually. will the defrost also work?

thanks

Um....FYI it's very important to get all of the alternator bolts tight again. You can ruin the PCM if they are left loose.

Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth / Mr Soul - YouTube
Old 02-10-2015

1. With the compressor off the belt, it will still kick in since it receives power. right? Is it ok to leave it this way, or should I remove the power to the compressor?
I assume it is complicated. I don't intend to do this if it's not necessary.
I'd remove the clutch relay from the engine compartment fuse box (so the compressor can't get power to engage)....Turn it on its side or leave it somewhere inside the box so it doesn't get lost, stick the lid back on the box.

2. The heat should still work. right?. It does actually. will the defrost also work?
Yes and yes. Defogging the glass may take longer if it's humid though.
Cars were made for decades without AC, yours will be no different LOL
Old 02-12-2015
biomed01civic

thanks. i will do it.

I'd remove the clutch relay from the engine compartment fuse box (so the compressor can't get power to engage)....Turn it on its side or leave it somewhere inside the box so it doesn't get lost, stick the lid back on the box.

Yes and yes. Defogging the glass may take longer if it's humid though.
Cars were made for decades without AC, yours will be no different LOL